Doubt about AppDB Rating Definitions

Post issues, bugs, and feature requests about the various WineHQ websites to this forum.
macchinetta

Doubt about AppDB Rating Definitions

Post by macchinetta »

Hello.

I'm almost always in doubt when I submit a test.

When a game require workaround to work properly I choose GOLD:
  • Works as well as (or better than) on Windows with workarounds.
But then I'm forced to set:
  • Were any workarounds used for problems that do not exist in Windows?
  • Were there any problems that do not exist in Windows?
So if I insert a game that works with workarounds I can't put GOLD if I don't know if these problems exist on windows.
(I can't test game on windows, just read on the internet).

And, if these problem exist on windows, does this mean that the appdb is not designed to report solutions to problems that also exist on windows?

For example if a game works better than on windows thanks to a workaround (performance), should this workaround not be reported?

I believe it should be reported because it can still help other users, whether they try their game for the first time on wine, or that they don't know about the possibility of getting better results.

For the moment I put as PLATINIUM and insert the workaorunds under 'notes'.
dimesio

Re: Doubt about AppDB Rating Definitions

Post by dimesio »

macchinetta wrote: So if I insert a game that works with workarounds I can't put GOLD if I don't know if these problems exist on windows.
(I can't test game on windows, just read on the internet).
Testing it yourself in Windows is ideal, but not absolutely required. If multiple Windows users are reporting the same issue on the internet, especially if they've posted workarounds, that's a valid source of information that the problem does exist in Windows. If not, you may assume that the problem does not also exist on Windows.
For example if a game works better than on windows thanks to a workaround (performance), should this workaround not be reported?

I believe it should be reported because it can still help other users, whether they try their game for the first time on wine, or that they don't know about the possibility of getting better results.

For the moment I put as PLATINIUM and insert the workaorunds under 'notes'.
If the performance is worse in Wine than in Windows without the workaround, that is a problem that does not exist in Windows and should be reported in the Problems and Workarounds section, with a rating no higher than gold. If the performance issue also exists on Windows, then yes, the rating can be platinum and you can put the info in the extra comments section. When you do that, please state explicitly that the problem also exists on Windows.
macchinetta

Re: Doubt about AppDB Rating Definitions

Post by macchinetta »

Thank you. Understand.