How to build wine for other people ?

Questions about Wine on Linux
rawfox
Level 3
Level 3

How to build wine for other people ?

Post by rawfox »

Hello,

how can i make a wine build to use for others ?
Ive tried to --prefix it to its own directory and packed it into an archive, but my buddy can not run it due to some error, see here:
https://pastebin.com/sXLJ9P3U

Any idea ?
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How to build wine for other people ?

Post by jkfloris »

Just to make sure I understand you correctly.
You want to create a wineprefix on your system and use that wineprefix on an other system.

I think this is possible as long as the two Wine versions are the same.
Wine cannot find the ncurses library (libncurses.so.6).
Has your buddy installed all the necessary (32-bit) packages?
rawfox
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rawfox »

jkfloris wrote:Just to make sure I understand you correctly.
You want to create a wineprefix on your system and use that wineprefix on an other system.

I think this is possible as long as the two Wine versions are the same.
Wine cannot find the ncurses library (libncurses.so.6).
Has your buddy installed all the necessary (32-bit) packages?
Not a prefix, no :)
Just building wine from sources and offer the build for test to someone else.

I made a wine-staging build that contains for example some patches.
It should work as a runner for Lutris at one point, means a "ready to use" wine build that can be tested by others.

My friend is using wine a lot as well and we want to maintain a wine version on Lutris for StarCitizen.
Hes not a noob and he said he has all required stuff installed and other builds (Lutris runners) do work, but not the thing i did.
That was rather unexpected and i try to learn more on this and the why's :)

Maybe i should find another tester ..^^
Btw, the idea of a "remote" prefix is interesting :D
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@rawfox

You probably want to take a look at the Lutris buildbot on Github.

I would suggest opening an Issue on this repository - if you can't get your Wine runner to build.
You're more likely to get help from someone who has worked with this repository before (I don't really use Lutris personally).

Bob
rawfox
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rawfox »

Thats a good hint, thanks Bob.

... but .. i mean, if i make a build, it should run on another computer, or .. well im gonna kebab that build bot script from Lutris first.
Maybe i get more answers there.
My friend is using i think Manjaro, the directory structures may be different, im on Fedora.

Cheers^^
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

rawfox wrote:Thats a good hint, thanks Bob.

... but .. i mean, if i make a build, it should run on another computer, or .. well im gonna kebab that build bot script from Lutris first.
Maybe i get more answers there.
My friend is using i think Manjaro, the directory structures may be different, im on Fedora.

Cheers^^
Did your friend have the current wine-staging (4.12.1) package installed on his system?
That's probably the easiest way to bring in the Wine runtime dependencies on a different system.
Arch and Fedora have pretty similar multilib directory layouts (unlike Debian's highly quirky FHS setup).

Certainly it's the hack I recommend for the Debian/Ubuntu build-bot script I maintain (until I get around to generating a wine-runtime deb package)...

Bob
rawfox
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rawfox »

Just to let you know how this turned out ...

Ive learned about Lutris needs wine builds done on the "Lutris build host system" what is actually a Ubuntu 18.04.
I could not control the build in lxc-containers properly, so i just installed a Ubuntu VM and use that exclusive for building the Lutris runners and it works actually great on other people :D

StarCitizen is still in heavy development and every new patch is challenging us (#LUG), to find the hurdles and make it working well on wine. With the recent 3.6 patch there have been hard issues and that was not the first time, we could offer a solution and keep the game playable, even if its just developer snapshot builds we get from this not-a-game-yet game :)

Lutris is just a great thing for new Linux gamers as it removes a lot stuff to do from the users hand and is flexible enuff for the poweruser to set up even grandma back to life :O .

So if Cloud Imperium Games invented again the total new shit, we have the papers in hand for a proper wipe with wine now^^