Maxcut v2 installed but runs with useless black windows

Questions about Wine on Linux
iogui

Maxcut v2 installed but runs with useless black windows

Post by iogui »

I've installed Maxcut v2 software on wine 4.0.1 on an Ubuntu 18.04 running with proprietary NVidia drivers installed.
The software site where it can be downloaded is: https://www.maxcutsoftware.com/
I managed to successfully install it in it's own prefix by running the following commands in the terminal:

Code: Select all

env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.maxcut WINEARCH=win32 wineboot
env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.maxcut WINEARCH=win32 winetricks vcrun2013 vcrun2015 corefonts
env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.maxcut WINEARCH=win32 winetricks --unattended dotnet452
env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.maxcut WINEARCH=win32 winetricks settings win7
env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.maxcut WINEARCH=win32 wine start maxcutsetup.exe
But when I run the application it opens a black window where I can do nothing.
I've already searched on the AppDB but this particular application is not there, so I have myself submitted it there.

The application requirements extracted from it's site are:

MaxCut requires Windows 7 or higher.
Minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768
Microsoft .Net Framework v4

Has someone experienced this black window behavior in any other software under wine? Can someone point me to the right directions on finding what is missing in order to put this app to work in wine?
dopi04

Re: Maxcut v2 installed but runs with useless black windows

Post by dopi04 »

I'm on KdeNeon (based on Ubuntu 18.04) + wine 4.0.2

I followed the same steps but I noticed that for some reason, wine was still set to Win 2003, which was caused by the dotnet452 installer.

I started wincfg and changed to Windows 7

Code: Select all

env WINEPREFIX=$HOME/.maxcut WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
After that it worked without any major issues so far except for the menus acting up a little.
iogui

Re: Maxcut v2 installed but runs with useless black windows

Post by iogui »

Thank you for your tests dopi04. I was now able to install it and use it in the same system but with wine 5. I've used the same steps as before and I've not noticed the win 2003 problem you've mentioned. I think the problem is related with the wine version or winetricks version. They may have corrected some bug that was generating the black window issue.
I've already submitted this new tests to AppDB. Now it is working like a charm and I can do anything I need in the software.