dummynosrev

[wine 3.0]: Later version of WorldOfTanks blitz can't lauch

Post by dummynosrev »

Now, using steam's Proton api, there is a pop-up with a message saying:

Code: Select all

Rendering error 0x00000000:
FailedToCreateDevice.
Program will terminate.
And when I attempt to launch the game with wine, the following error can be seen:

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/{user name}/.wineprefixes/alpha wine ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/World\ of\ Tanks\ Blitz/wotblitz.exe 
0009:err:mscoree:CLRRuntimeInfo_GetRuntimeDirectory error reading registry key for installroot
003c:err:wgl:X11DRV_wglCreateContextAttribsARB Context creation failed (error 1)
003c:err:wgl:X11DRV_wglCreateContextAttribsARB Context creation failed (error 1)
0009:err:seh:raise_exception Unhandled exception code c0000005 flags 0 addr (nil)
I URL uploaded exe executable on VirusTotal.com to get info on what dlls does it uses, then tried to install the notable ones with winetricks to no avail.

I mean Iknow it's not anything important (beside I currently dual-boot with a Windows machine so :p) but parts of me still believe that it was just me not able to find /install the correct components and want to get the game working.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: [wine 3.0]: Later version of WorldOfTanks blitz can't la

Post by Bob Wya »

@dummynosrev

Wine 3.0 is not supported any more. Supported versions of Wine (currently) are:
Wine 4.0.1 (stable), 4.9 (development) and 4.9 (staging).

See: WineHQ Download (for you unspecified Operating System...)
dummynosrev wrote:N

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX="/home/${USER}/.wineprefixes/alpha" wine ~/".steam/steam/steamapps/common/World of Tanks Blitz/wotblitz.exe"
That's not the correct way to start applications, with Wine... See: Wine User's Guide: 3 Using Wine.
It should be something like:

WINEPREFIX="/home/${USER}/.wineprefixes/alpha" wine start /unix ~/".steam/steam/steamapps/common/World of Tanks Blitz/wotblitz.exe"
(WINEARCH is fixed - once a WINEPREFIX has been initially created.)

That might still cause issues - as you appear to be using the Steam version of World of Tanks.
This may require you to launch the game, using the Steam client.
See: WineHQ AppDB: Steam (Steam API section).

Also, what graphics card / driver do you have, please post the output from:

glxinfo | egrep '^[[:alpha:]]'
Thanks
Bob
dummynosrev

Post by dummynosrev »

Sorry for the late reply,

I'm running elementary OS Juno (Built on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS), and yes, this is the Steam version of the game but I doubt that Steam client is the problem. I copied the entire game folder to my Windows partition as a lazy work around this, and it seems to worked OK under Win 10 (which has no Steam installed) (and also the earlier version of the game can be run both with Wine and Proton).

$ glxinfo | egrep '^[[:alpha:]]'
name of display: :0
display: :0  screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
server glx extensions:
client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI
client glx version string: 1.4
client glx extensions:
GLX version: 1.4
GLX extensions:
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile 
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 18.2.8
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20
OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 18.2.8
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16
OpenGL ES profile extensions:
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dummynosrev wrote:...
I'm running elementary OS Juno (Built on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS), and yes, this is the Steam version of the game but I doubt that Steam client is the problem. I copied the entire game folder to my Windows partition as a lazy work around this, and it seems to worked OK under Win 10 (which has no Steam installed) (and also the earlier version of the game can be run both with Wine and Proton).
Yup, fair enough. It is a MMO anyway (so I wouldn't expect the game to use Steam DRM).
dummynosrev wrote:

OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16
You're probably going to struggle to get a lot of games running on such an old iGPU.
You might be able to run DirectX 7/8, or OpenGL 2.x Windows games, under Wine.

Certainly most games using DirectX 9.0c (or newer), wouldn't run on that hardware, when using Wine.
So it looks like you'll have to dual-boot or just use MS Windows (unless you can afford to upgrade your hardware)...

Bob
dummynosrev

Post by dummynosrev »

Bummer. And also I recently discover that my system might unable to support Vulcan as well :cry: .

Out of curiosity:
Bob Wya wrote: ...
Certainly most games using DirectX 9.0c (or newer), wouldn't run on that hardware, when using Wine.
So it looks like you'll have to dual-boot or just use MS Windows
Why is that Windows can run programs on the same hardware on which Wine can't? Is there some sort of software restriction (definitely not asking for jailbreak if that's the case tough ;)?

Thank you for being informative and nice.

Scott.
Marc di Maria

Post by Marc di Maria »

Bob Wya wrote:
dummynosrev wrote:...
Yup, fair enough. It is a MMO anyway (so I wouldn't expect the game to use Steam DRM).
dummynosrev wrote:

OpenGL extensions:
OpenGL ES profile shading language version [url=https://www.antiarnaques.org/]anti arnaques[/url] withstring: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16
You're probably going to struggle to get a lot of games running on such an old iGPU.
You might be able to run DirectX 7/8, or OpenGL 2.x Windows games, under Wine.

So it looks like you'll have to dual-boot or just use MS Windows (unless you can afford to upgrade your hardware)...

Bob
This is noticed
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

dummynosrev wrote:Bummer. And also I recently discover that my system might unable to support Vulcan as well :cry: .
Intel ANV Vulkan support is limited to Haswel or newer (and even that generation has restrictions).
Broadwell, and earlier generations, only have restricted Vulkan support (or none).
Your hardware pre-dates Intel's Vulkan support by some years...
dummynosrev wrote: Out of curiosity:

Why is that Windows can run programs on the same hardware on which Wine can't? Is there some sort of software restriction (definitely not asking for jailbreak if that's the case tough ;)?
I think the easiest way to explain this is that OpenGL and DirectX are not the identical in supported features/API functions.
Therefore the hardware support required, by each, differs quite significantly.
Wine requires good OpenGL support (or, with dxvk/d9vk, Vulkan support) - hardware and drivers - to translate DirectX calls.
Intel probably developed your graphics card primarily to support DirectX, with fixed function units.
OpenGL support suffers, as is a "second class citizen", on the same hardware...

Intel has been making a concerted effort to improve their Linux driver support, in recent months.
I mean in tangible ways, that end-users - like us - will appreciate! 8)

Intels latest graphics cards now support gallium - via their new iris driver.
This is a big deal, because it means the Gallium D3D9 Mesa driver is supported, by this driver (for better acceleration of D3D9 games).

Also modern graphics cards, with programmable shaders, etc. are more versatile.
Certainly Intel's latest graphics cards - support a reasonably competent Vulkan driver (as I mentioned above).
Their recent poaching of some AMD graphics engineers, bodes even better for the future!

I'm no Intel fanboi, but competition is good! 8)
dummynosrev wrote: Thank you for being informative and nice.
Thanks...
But TBH, I'm usually moaning about things, on these forums. :lol:

Bob