Can't install wine-devel-i386 (= 4.9~disco)

Questions about Wine on Linux
kokonut
Level 1
Level 1

Can't install wine-devel-i386 (= 4.9~disco)

Post by kokonut »

I have problems installing wine-devel on Ubuntu 19.04 because unpacking of wine-devel-i386 (= 4.9~disco) fails. I have successfully installed previous wine-devel versions on previous Ubuntu version (18.10) but after upgrading to 19.04 I have this problem. I also did "sudo apt purge wine*" before installing the new version but that doesn't help.

I tried to installed Wine as per instructions on the webpage:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-devel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
winehq-devel is already the newest version (4.9~disco).
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies.
 wine-devel : Depends: wine-devel-i386 (= 4.9~disco)
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

$ sudo apt --fix-broken install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  freepats hdf5-helpers libaec-dev libblas-dev libfluidsynth1 libgles1 libglvnd-core-dev libglvnd-dev libgssdp-1.0-3 libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-0 libgupnp-1.0-4 libgupnp-igd-1.0-4 libhdf5-cpp-103 libhdf5-dev libjpeg-dev libjpeg-turbo8-dev libjpeg8-dev liblapack-dev libmjpegutils-2.1-0 libmms0 libmodplug1 libmpeg2encpp-2.1-0
  libmplex2-2.1-0 libncurses-dev libnice10 libofa0 libpthread-stubs0-dev libreadline-dev libsoundtouch1 libspandsp2 libsrt1 libsrtp2-1 libusrsctp1 libvo-aacenc0 libvo-amrwbenc0 libwildmidi-config libwildmidi2 libx11-dev libx11-xcb-dev libxau-dev libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-dri3-dev libxcb-glx0-dev libxcb-present-dev libxcb-randr0-dev
  libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev libxcb-sync-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev libxcb1-dev libxdamage-dev libxdmcp-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev libxshmfence-dev libxvmc1 libxxf86vm-dev libzbar0 x11proto-core-dev x11proto-damage-dev x11proto-dev x11proto-fixes-dev x11proto-xext-dev x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev xorg-sgml-doctools xtrans-dev
  zlib1g-dev
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following additional packages will be installed:
  wine-devel-i386:i386
Recommended packages:
  libglu1-mesa:i386 | libglu1:i386 libosmesa6:i386 libsane:i386 | libsane1:i386
The following NEW packages will be installed
  wine-devel-i386:i386
0 to upgrade, 1 to newly install, 0 to remove and 2 not to upgrade.
118 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/28.8 MB of archives.
After this operation, 327 MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 
(Reading database ... 302213 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../wine-devel-i386_4.9~disco_i386.deb ...
Unpacking wine-devel-i386:i386 (4.9~disco) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/wine-devel-i386_4.9~disco_i386.deb (--unpack):
 unable to open '/opt/wine-devel/lib/wine/xcopy.exe.dpkg-new': Operation not permitted
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/wine-devel-i386_4.9~disco_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

$ wine --version

Command 'wine' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install wine              # version 4.0-1, or
sudo apt install wine-development  # version 4.2-2

$ wine64 --version
wine-4.9
So to me it seems like 64-bit version was installed, but 32-bit fails with:

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/wine-devel-i386_4.9~disco_i386.deb (--unpack):
 unable to open '/opt/wine-devel/lib/wine/xcopy.exe.dpkg-new': Operation not permitted
How can I fix this?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Can't install wine-devel-i386 (= 4.9~disco)

Post by Bob Wya »

@kokonut

It would appear that you have a "rogue" package that is holding onto the file:

/opt/wine-devel/lib/wine/xcopy.exe
- preventing the installation from completing...

So you might want to try:

dpkg -S "/opt/wine-devel/lib/wine/xcopy.exe"
to see what that package might be...

See: Debian / Ubuntu Linux: Find Out What Package Provides a File.

Bob
kokonut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kokonut »

Hey Bob, thanks for the info, but I don't even have a "lib" folder in "/opt/wine-devel/", so dpkg returns:

$ dpkg -S "/opt/wine-devel/lib/wine/xcopy.exe"
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /opt/wine-devel/lib/wine/xcopy.exe
I also searched for just some "xcopy" and that seems to be installed by wine64:

$ dpkg -S *xcopy*
wine-devel-amd64: /opt/wine-devel/lib64/wine/xcopy.exe
Also, if the file was already installed, why would the error message be "Operation not permitted"?

I was thinking that the archive might be corrupted but it unpaked fine with "ar p wine-devel-i386_4.9~disco_i386.deb data.tar.xz | unxz | tar x" and I can also find "xcopy.exe" in (unpacked) "wine-devel/lib/wine/".
Any other suggestions?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

kokonut wrote:Hey Bob, thanks for the info, but I don't even have a "lib" folder in "/opt/wine-devel/", so dpkg returns:

$ dpkg -S "/opt/wine-devel/lib/wine/xcopy.exe"
dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /opt/wine-devel/lib/wine/xcopy.exe
I also searched for just some "xcopy" and that seems to be installed by wine64:

$ dpkg -S *xcopy*
wine-devel-amd64: /opt/wine-devel/lib64/wine/xcopy.exe
Also, if the file was already installed, why would the error message be "Operation not permitted"?

I was thinking that the archive might be corrupted but it unpaked fine with "ar p wine-devel-i386_4.9~disco_i386.deb data.tar.xz | unxz | tar x" and I can also find "xcopy.exe" in (unpacked) "wine-devel/lib/wine/".
Any other suggestions?
Hmmm,

I also unpacked:
  • wine-devel-i386_4.9~disco_i386.deb
  • wine-devel-amd64_4.9~disco_amd64.deb
So yeah, there isn't a duplicate copy of xcopy.exe (at that install path) - so I assumed a previous package must be causing the conflict.

Since dpkg is barfing out, why not re-run it directly on the offending deb archive...
dpkg supports a verbose / debug mode, so why not use this as well:

dpkg --debug=773 wine-devel-i386_4.9~disco_i386.deb
reference:

man dpkg(1)

-Doctal, --debug=octal 
1 Generally helpful progress information
2 Invocation and status of maintainer scripts
10 Output for each file processed
100 Lots of output for each file processed
20 Output for each configuration file
200 Lots of output for each configuration file
40 Dependencies and conflicts
400 Lots of dependencies/conflicts output
Personally I find it somewhat laughable that it's easier for me to maintain and install my custom Gentoo wine* package, then for an Ubuntu user to install the stock winehq-devel package...
Which is, meant to be, the harder to maintain distribution - I find myself asking??!! :shock: But hey what-ever... :lol:

So
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Bob Wya wrote: Personally I find it somewhat laughable that it's easier for me to maintain and install my custom Gentoo wine* package, then for an Ubuntu user to install the stock winehq-devel package...
Which is, meant to be, the harder to maintain distribution - I find myself asking??!! :shock: But hey what-ever... :lol:

So
Well... you cant beat ppl doing things wrong, oh and calling "winehq packages" for "stock" is far from the truth :)

Packages only gets as good as they are built. The WineHQ provided wine packages are kind of built wrong if you compare them to Ubuntu built packages. If you then have Ubuntu distro packages installed already (which might be the case here), the winehq packages will make some fubars when trying to install (cos they do not follow the same package structure as the default Ubuntu ones).

"We" get away with this by telling ppl to apt purge Ubuntu packages FIRST ofc :)

EDIT: OR, it is a simple

sudo apt clean && sudo apt update
in case of some download error. (Unless ofc that /opt is mounted on some different partition with disc failures, or is full...)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Cybermax wrote:Well... you cant beat ppl doing things wrong, oh and calling "winehq packages" for "stock" is far from the truth :)

Packages only gets as good as they are built. The WineHQ provided wine packages are kind of built wrong if you compare them to Ubuntu built packages. If you then have Ubuntu distro packages installed already (which might be the case here), the winehq packages will make some fubars when trying to install (cos they do not follow the same package structure as the default Ubuntu ones).

"We" get away with this by telling ppl to apt purge Ubuntu packages FIRST ofc :)

in case of some download error. (Unless ofc that /opt is mounted on some different partition with disc failures, or is full...)
Well sure they're not stock packages...
Because the stock Debian/ Ubuntu packages vary from significantly, to slightly, out-dated.

The fact that WineHQ packages, for Ubuntu, are maintained by OpenSUSE users...
Doesn't speak very highly for the "Ubuntu" community IMHO. :roll:

Bob
kokonut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kokonut »

@Bob Wya
So I ran:

$ sudo dpkg --debug=773 -i wine-devel-i386_4.9~disco_i386.deb &> log.txt 2>&1
and attached the output in the "log.7z" attachment.

I can't really see anything obviously wrong in the output so maybe someone else can have a look at it?

@Cybermax
I've already done a few combinations of "apt purge/clean/autoremove" etc. and nothing seems to help. Any other suggestions are welcome :P
Attachments
log.7z
(231.06 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

kokonut wrote:@Bob Wya
So I ran:

$ sudo dpkg --debug=773 -i wine-devel-i386_4.9~disco_i386.deb &> log.txt 2>&1
and attached the output in the "log.7z" attachment.

I can't really see anything obviously wrong in the output so maybe someone else can have a look at it?
Like you... That log looks clean as whistle... I can't see anything wrong there!!
Did the command execute / package install OK? Or did you get the same error as before?

Bob
kokonut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kokonut »

Hm, I haven't even checked if Wine works because the log ends with:

Errors were encountered while processing:
 wine-devel-i386_4.9~disco_i386.deb
so I just assumed it didn't really do anything. However, yes, it seems like the package was installed successfully and now I can run Wine just fine, thanks! :)

$ wine --version
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libgtk3-nocsd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
wine-4.9
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

How very odd. :shock:
I'm glad that Wine seems to have managed to install itself anyway! :lol:

Bob
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Bob Wya wrote:
Cybermax wrote:Well... you cant beat ppl doing things wrong, oh and calling "winehq packages" for "stock" is far from the truth :)

Well sure they're not stock packages...
Because the stock Debian/ Ubuntu packages vary from significantly, to slightly, out-dated.

The fact that WineHQ packages, for Ubuntu, are maintained by OpenSUSE users...
Doesn't speak very highly for the "Ubuntu" community IMHO. :roll:

Bob
It is not horribly easy to change how things is done when it comes to WineHQ :)

Ubuntu is not about "dev", but more "stable", and thus the package "wine-stable-4.0.1" is available on the Ubuntu repo's. Should you really expect "beta" packages to be available? Wine-DEV is "beta" and "development" builds, and should really not be considered "release" (cos thats what the "release" is for.. currently 4.0.1) If you want beta and experimental packages: Do NOT use Ubuntu unless you want to put some effort into it yourself :)

What is the latest "release" of wine? Yeah - 4.0.1.

It is somewhat faster on the "next" distro line tho.. But still horribly slow compared to compile everything from GIT :roll:

C
kokonut
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kokonut »

I don't think the situation is that "bad" regarding Ubuntu and "dev" packages. I haven't had problems installing wine-dev until now and the problem I've had doesn't seem wide spread. And the reason why I installed wine-dev is because I hate using old versions when there are newer (possibly improved albeit less stable) versions out there :P
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

kokonut wrote:I don't think the situation is that "bad" regarding Ubuntu and "dev" packages. I haven't had problems installing wine-dev until now and the problem I've had doesn't seem wide spread. And the reason why I installed wine-dev is because I hate using old versions when there are newer (possibly improved albeit less stable) versions out there :P
Depends how you look at it. I can mostly get by just fine by compiling wine myself, but every so often things changes and requires newer packages than what is available for Ubuntu distro. There are quite a few that make backports of packages for Ubuntu, so its not a HUGE problem, but it requires some fiddling and knowhow. Eg. on my PPA i have backported libSDL2 for libFAudio to compile without "complaining"... not to mention the libFAudio package itself that is not available on much other than Debian Testing (and even there in an outdated version).

Not everyone is expected to do so, and it takes a few trials to learn and adapt "backports" to build on the launchpad PPA buildsystem. This is probably a LOT easier on other distro's than Ubuntu tho, and needing to create your own backports to build -dev packages does kind of suck...