Winevulkan.dll Failed to initialize

Questions about Wine on macOS.
garranaruto47

Winevulkan.dll Failed to initialize

Post by garranaruto47 »

Hello. I am trying to run Just Cause 3 using wine 4.7-staging. However when I start the game I get the following error message:
0035:err:vulkan:get_vulkan_driver Wine was built without Vulkan support.
0035:err:vulkan:wine_vk_init Failed to load Wine graphics driver supporting Vulkan.
0035:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "winevulkan.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
0035:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Initializing dlls for L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Just Cause 3\\JustCause3.exe" failed, status c0000142
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Winevulkan.dll Failed to initialize

Post by Gcenx »

garranaruto47 wrote:Hello. I am trying to run Just Cause 3 using wine 4.7-staging. However when I start the game I get the following error message:
0035:err:vulkan:get_vulkan_driver Wine was built without Vulkan support.
0035:err:vulkan:wine_vk_init Failed to load Wine graphics driver supporting Vulkan.
0035:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "winevulkan.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
0035:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Initializing dlls for L"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\Just Cause 3\\JustCause3.exe" failed, status c0000142
The error says it all “Wine was built without Vulkan Support”
The Winehq release of wine don’t include Vulkan support, the macOS builds also not built with Gnutls that’s needed for proper TLS support within wine.

Also Vulkan support on macOS is provided MoltenVK that converts the Vulkan API calls over to Metal and needs to emulate what can’t be converted. Currently MoltenVK lacks the required API calls to support DXVK and only really rubs a handful of Vulkan games.
garranaruto47

Post by garranaruto47 »

How do I use MoltenVK with Wine?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

garranaruto47 wrote:How do I use MoltenVK with Wine?
You don’t.

To have Vulkan support within Wine on macOS you would need to compile it from source with all required dependancies plus MoltenVK.

Next you need to compile wine twice if you want to run 32Bit applications, but only 64Bit applications/games get access to Vulkan builds on macOS.
But the above would be a waste of time as I said in the previous post, MoltenVK at the date of this post isn’t worth it.