Quixel Mixer interface problem

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
mzo
Level 2
Level 2

Quixel Mixer interface problem

Post by mzo »

I installed Quixel Mixer with Wine. The installation ran smoothly. The only library I had to install was vcrun2017. The app starts but has two issues:

1) The interface occasionally freezes and the app needs to be restarted.

2) For some reason the ALT key and the mouse wheel are not recognized, hence it is impossible to orbit or zoom in and out in the viewport. However, the middle mouse button works as expected and it is possible to pan the viewport.

From preliminary testing everything else in the application seems to work fine.

Does anyone know if these two issues above are fixable? Am I perhaps missing some additional libraries to be installed in the prefix?

Mixer is in beta and free to use for the entire duration of the beta and can be downloaded from here:
https://d2shgxa8i058x8.cloudfront.net/m ... 0_Beta.exe

Thank you
nintyfan
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Quixel Mixer interface problem

Post by nintyfan »

I'm not an Wine maintainer/devel, but I think I can help.

Are you newbie Linux user? I asked, because ALT key are often reserved by WM actions. If you can, tell me, which GUI/Environment are you using.
mzo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mzo »

Thanks. Yes, I'm fairly new to Linux - I have been using it for a few months. I'm now on Ubuntu 19.04 with Gnome 3.32. I use Xorg -X11 and have the latest Nvidia drivers 430. Regarding the ALT button, I see what your are saying, but it works fine for all the other 3D applications installed in the system (Maya, Clarisse, Modo, Substance, etc). In fact, ALT + left mouse button + drag is the most common key combination to orbit the 3D viewport among 3D applications. Mixer doesn't seem to have a key remapping functionality. I don't know if I have to install additionally libraries other than vcrun2017?
nintyfan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nintyfan »

So problem with ALT+LMOUSE is not related to your's Window Manager, probably. I'm using Plasma5, where this problem occurs. In many other DE LALT are also reserved to dragging window.

GIMP is native GTK application and it uses LALT in some purposes, so GNOME probably do not use it. I can not help in other problems.
nintyfan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nintyfan »

When the interface freeze, there is fired some desktop effect, like making window less colorized (more black/white)?

In many years ago I was using some electronics circuit simulator and this app stops responding to left mouse button in some cases. I must click right firstly.

If there's some color animation, then application is probably busy.
mzo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mzo »

Hi again, no when the application's interface freezes nothing else changes in term of display rendering. I noticed the freezes usually are triggered by text inputs (typing something into dialog boxes) or by data output (saving a file, etc).

I tried this in a new prefix that uses .NET 4.7.2 instead of Mono but Mixer's behavior is exactly the same. The freezes are very frequent but they tend not to happen when I do the core work (working on the textures). I was even able to export a set of textures after processing them. However, the applications is overall still too unstable to be used normally.