The Movies, Crash on Install

Questions about Wine on Linux
snail8

The Movies, Crash on Install

Post by snail8 »

Hello! I'm trying to get the game The Movies to work (Mint, Wine 4.7). I followed the instructions on the AppDB page to get WMP 10 and DirectX 9 via winetricks, that was all fine. But when I actually get to the installing part, it gets to "updating component registration" and spits out a fatal error, 1603. I managed to get past the multi disc issue by putting the files on my hard drive instead, but also used discs with wine eject as well, same result (error). I would like to get this working, so any help would be appreciated! Also tell me if there's any more information you need.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: The Movies, Crash on Install

Post by jkfloris »

Set the Windows version to Windows XP with winecfg to get rid of the 1603 error.
snail8

Post by snail8 »

jkfloris wrote:Set the Windows version to Windows XP with winecfg to get rid of the 1603 error.
Unfortunately, I also tried that before. Tried again with Win98 set as well, no dice.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Do you also get the 1603 error in a clean 32 bit wineprefix set to Windows XP. And use "wine eject <drive:>" to switch between the CD's?
snail8

Post by snail8 »

jkfloris wrote:Do you also get the 1603 error in a clean 32 bit wineprefix set to Windows XP. And use "wine eject <drive:>" to switch between the CD's?
Tried the latter, same result. The wineprefix was pretty clean to begin with, but I made another without either of the extra winetricks things and tried again. 1603. Really not sure why it refuses to work.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Can you post a terminal output, including the Wine command you use?
snail8

Post by snail8 »

I figured it out! It wouldn't work with CDs at all, but by putting all the files in the same folder, not separated in any way (this is the key), I was able to get it to finish. I noticed terminal output was asking for a file that it couldn't find, so... Gameplay seems to be working as well, so I guess this is solved.