Newbie's here. Some questions regarding general Wine usage.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Livy
Level 1
Level 1

Newbie's here. Some questions regarding general Wine usage.

Post by Livy »

I'm new to Wine in general. Before using anything, I always walkthrough the User Guide and FAQs, but still have some questions to ask. It makes sure I know what I am doing, before actually start. :)
  1. Do specialized applications such as hacks, cracks, overlay, hardware info viewers, system monitor... work in Wine? It does not make much sense to me. My guess is no?
  2. If a program requires reboot during installation, what would happen?
  3. If a program installs a service which launches during Windows startup, will it auto-start after the host system reboots?
  4. If a malware is running, files inside Wine prefix are in used by that malware. What is the best way to get rid of it along with the instance of Windows? I guess I should do a wineserver -k to stop all running applications, then delete the corresponding Wine prefix (menu and shortcuts can be deleted manually later). Is that correct?
  5. Not really related to general usage of Wine, but I want to know the current status of Office 2019 on lastest development branch. I cannot find it anywhere on AppDB.
Thanks for your time reading.
dimesio

Re: Newbie's here. Some questions regarding general Wine usa

Post by dimesio »

Livy wrote: Do specialized applications such as hacks, cracks, overlay, hardware info viewers, system monitor... work in Wine? It does not make much sense to me. My guess is no?
Some do, some don't. FYI, illegal software, including cracks, are not supported and discussion of them is against forum rules.
If a program requires reboot during installation, what would happen?
You should use wineboot to simulate one.
If a program installs a service which launches during Windows startup, will it auto-start after the host system reboots?
No, it will autostart whenever you run anything in that wineprefix.
If a malware is running, files inside Wine prefix are in used by that malware. What is the best way to get rid of it along with the instance of Windows? I guess I should do a wineserver -k to stop all running applications, then delete the corresponding Wine prefix (menu and shortcuts can be deleted manually later). Is that correct?
I would also run a scan with a native antivirus program such as ClamAV.
Not really related to general usage of Wine, but I want to know the current status of Office 2019 on lastest development branch. I cannot find it anywhere on AppDB.
Don't know, as we're dependent on users to file test report, but my guess is it probably doesn't work yet.
Livy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Livy »

Thanks a lot for your clarifications.
dimesio wrote:
If a program installs a service which launches during Windows startup, will it auto-start after the host system reboots?
No, it will autostart whenever you run anything in that wineprefix.
So, when the host system turns off, all wineserver instances are killed. And when the host system boots up, no wineserver instance is started automatically. Only when the user run something in a wineprefix, the corresponding wineserver is started and will auto-start any kind of processes/services (including malware) like a normal Windows bootup. Is that correct?
dimesio wrote:
If a malware is running, files inside Wine prefix are in used by that malware. What is the best way to get rid of it along with the instance of Windows? I guess I should do a wineserver -k to stop all running applications, then delete the corresponding Wine prefix (menu and shortcuts can be deleted manually later). Is that correct?
I would also run a scan with a native antivirus program such as ClamAV.
Should I install the native version for the host system (ie: Linux), or run the Windows version on top of Wine?

By the way, is the command wineserver -k necessary? Theoretically, wineprefix cannot be deleted if the files inside are in use by the malware or other programs. I am wondering if Wine or winecfg provides some commands or graphical options to easily destroy a wineprefix.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Livy wrote:...
So, when the host system turns off, all wineserver instances are killed. And when the host system boots up, no wineserver instance is started automatically. Only when the user run something in a wineprefix, the corresponding wineserver is started and will auto-start any kind of processes/services (including malware) like a normal Windows bootup. Is that correct?
You can start a wineserver process (scripted or manually), without running any Windows executable, directly with:

Code: Select all

wineserver -f
This would have the affect of starting any background Windows services, enabled in that WINEPREFIX (e.g. the Steam Client - if auto-start is enabled).
Livy wrote: By the way, is the command wineserver -k necessary? Theoretically, wineprefix cannot be deleted if the files inside are in use by the malware or other programs. I am wondering if Wine or winecfg provides some commands or graphical options to easily destroy a wineprefix.
It's similar to forced shutdown of Windows and will (generally/ hopefully :lol: ) close all the Wine processes associated with a WINEPREFIX, including ones that have hung.
No. But I think q4wine does.

Bob