Vegas Pro rejects every media

Questions about Wine on Linux
izeriox

Vegas Pro rejects every media

Post by izeriox »

Hello,
I am fairly new to Linux and Wine, having only been a week since I first installed.

Anyway- the problem I am facing is whenever I attempt to open up any file in vegas- be it a PNG or an MP4, it refuses to open with the error "The file is an unsupported format."

What is even stranger is the fact that everything worked perfectly until I rebooted: I've tried Wine 4.0 as well as 4.7 and the problem persists: everything works perfectly until I reboot, and then it never works.

Currently I am on Vegas Pro 13, using Wine 4.7 and running on KDE Neon 5.15.4
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Vegas Pro rejects every media

Post by Bob Wya »

izeriox wrote:Hello,
Anyway- the problem I am facing is whenever I attempt to open up any file in vegas- be it a PNG or an MP4, it refuses to open with the error "The file is an unsupported format."
What is even stranger is the fact that everything worked perfectly until I rebooted: ... everything works perfectly until I reboot, and then it never works.
Hi ya izeriox,

Could you clarify what you mean by this (second) statement?
That could win an award for vagueness! :lol:

Have you looked at: WineHQ AppDB : Multimedia / Video / Sony VEGAS Pro yet?
Going to the page corresponding to your (unspecified) installed Sony Vegas Pro version?

Bob
izeriox

Post by izeriox »

Hey.
To elaborate on this "second statement" of mine.
What I mean by
izeriox wrote: ...everything worked perfectly until I rebooted: ... everything works perfectly until I reboot, and then it never works.
is that when I first installed Vegas, cleaned out my wine directory and reinstalled all of its dependencies, importing videos and images worked fine and I could view them no problem.
Then I rebooted my computer and I opened up Vegas again, to find the error, which i have attached an image of.
I tried rebooting several times again and the problem kept occurring.

If this helps, I have also created a pastebin document containing the logs:#
https://pastebin.com/zmfzdANR

Thank you.
Attachments
The actual error in question
The actual error in question
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@izeriox

Are you using the same DLL overrides as this test on WineHQ AppDB: WineHQ AppDB : Multimedia Video Sony VEGAS Pro 13 : KDE neon | Wine 4.0 | Mar 09 2019...
Namely:

Code: Select all

winetricks corefonts d3dx10 d3dx11_42 d3dx11_43 d3dx9 directmusic directplay dotnet40 dsound msxml3 msxml6 quartz quicktime76 vcrun2005 vcrun2008 vcrun2010 vcrun2012 vcrun2013 vcrun2015
winetricks msxml3=native,builtin
(I'd question all those different Visual C++ library version requirements, but ho-hum)

Plus these steps:
Windows Version: Windows 7 (Installing these winetricks verbs switches Windows version to XP which is not recommended for using Vegas Pro 13)

Override msxml3 set to Native then Builtin

Installed Vegas Pro 13 on a system running Windows then copied these folders to the WINEPREFIX:

C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 13.0
C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony\Shared Plug-Ins
The WINEPREFIX needs to be configured to use Virtual Desktop in order to make the "Render As" window usable. (It's completely black otherwise.)
Also you aren't exactly starting the application correctly...
You want to use something like:

wine start 'C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 13.0'\vegas130.exe'
or

wine start /unix "${HOME}/.wine/drive_c/'Program Files/Sony/Vegas Pro 13.0/vegas130.exe"
or

cd "${HOME}/.wine/drive_c/'Program Files/Sony/Vegas Pro 13.0"
wine vegas130.exe
Since Windows uses the present working directory as the first path to search for secondary executables and dynamic link libraries.

See: WineHQ Wiki: Wine User's Guide: 3 Using Wine.
See: WineHQ Wiki: Start.

Bob
izeriox

Post by izeriox »

Hello.
So as it turns out that all I was doing wrong was just starting Vegas using the wrong method.

Thank you for pointing out something that I had somehow managed to miss becauseimacompleteandutteridiot.
Attachments
vegas13thanks.png
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Heh, heh,

If only all life's troubles were so easy to fix... :lol:

Bob