Wine will not install

Questions about Wine on Linux
Starkman
Level 1
Level 1

Wine will not install

Post by Starkman »

Greetings,

Brand new, first-time installation (new to Linux as well).

I'm running Linux Mint Mate 19.1 on a seven-year-old home-built system with an Intel i3 and 16 GB ram.

I followed these instructions instructions, and the last step running

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'
then tried

Apt install wine
and it responded with

Package wine is a virtual package provided by:
  wine-development 3.6-1
  winehq-staging 4.5~bionic
  winehq-stable 4.0~bionic
  winehq-devel 4.5~bionic
You should explicitly select one to install.
I've tried the stable option but I get anything from

Package 'wine' has no installation candidate
to

winehq-stable is already the newest version (4.0~bionic)
I ran through the repository installation again, and it reported all as having already been installed.

I'm at a loss.
dimesio

Re: Wine will not install

Post by dimesio »

Starkman wrote: I followed these instructions instructions, and the last step running

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'
Reread the wiki page; that is not the last step, and from what you've said you did, you obviously weren't following the rest of the instructions.

winehq-stable is already the newest version (4.0~bionic)
That suggests you did manage to install Wine. What makes you think it isn't installed?
Starkman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Starkman »

So, I have to more lengthy pages to wallow through, trying to figure out, as a new user, exactly what I'm supposed to do to finish the...what, installation? Trying to run wine, as I've noted above, doesn't run. If it's installed, it should run, right? I mean, it should at least not be this difficult. But you're saying I'm not finished with the installation proces; I have to try to make sense of to two more pages of stuff.

I don't think so. I think I'll just move on.

Thanks.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Starkman wrote:So, I have to more lengthy pages to wallow through, trying to figure out, as a new user, exactly what I'm supposed to do to finish the...what, installation? Trying to run wine, as I've noted above, doesn't run. If it's installed, it should run, right? I mean, it should at least not be this difficult. But you're saying I'm not finished with the installation proces; I have to try to make sense of to two more pages of stuff.

I don't think so. I think I'll just move on.

Thanks.
"Two more pages of stuff"? Where? Or were you throwing a rant with "OMG! I need to read TWO MORE LINES of text!"

Yeah, you are in for a real treat in the Linux world if you throw in the towel at reading two more lines of text :roll:
Starkman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Starkman »

Cybermax wrote: "Two more pages of stuff"? Where? Or were you throwing a rant with "OMG! I need to read TWO MORE LINES of text!"

Yeah, you are in for a real treat in the Linux world if you throw in the towel at reading two more lines of text :roll:
No, no, no!

If I understood dimesio correctly, he said there was more to do on this page.
So, I scrolled down a bit, saw the installation off-line (don't need that) and then saw the section titled "Compiling WoW64."
Now, you go into that area, and there's two more PAGES, not lines, of stuff I understand I'm supposed to go through (I mean, dimesio said I didn't complete the last step; that's the only step I see left).

So, I'm lost here. I'm not going through all that stuff by myself, ending up doing who knows what in some foreign country! Not by myself, at least.

Further, the forums over on Mint told me to run a few lines in the terminal, and that got wine rolling

dpkg -l "*wine*"
wine --version 
wine some-windows-program.exe
However, there were still issues. I'll do a new post on that.

Thanks.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Starkman wrote:If I understood dimesio correctly, he said there was more to do on this page.
So, I scrolled down a bit, saw the installation off-line (don't need that) and then saw the section titled "Compiling WoW64."
You scrolled down too far. The instructions you apparently overlooked the first time are right below the instructions for adding the repository, namely to run:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable
Further, the forums over on Mint told me to run a few lines in the terminal, and that got wine rolling

dpkg -l "*wine*"
wine --version 
wine some-windows-program.exe
You installed the distro package rather than the WineHQ one. It may be an old version; what does

wine --version
say? If it's not 4.0 or later, it's out of date.
Starkman
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Starkman »

dimasio

Well, I didn't miss Sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable; I guess I just failed to go that far down as I was making the post.

I have version 4.0.

And finally,
You installed the distro package rather than the WineHQ one. It may be an old version; what does
Well, I did what the instructions told me to do, at least as I understand it. I'm not sure how else I could have installed it otherwise.

So, should I uninstall it and install the one from WineHQ or will the one I have be able to update and all that?

Thanks.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Actually, I overlooked the * in your dpkg -i command line; that should have installed the WineHQ packages. What does

sudo apt list --installed | grep -i wine
return?