Unable To Install Wine 4 on Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64 bit

Questions about Wine on Linux
ColDon

Unable To Install Wine 4 on Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64 bit

Post by ColDon »

Hi, I'd be grateful if anyone can help me out here as I have no further options. I've followed examples from the WineHQ website and also from the internet and none of them have worked. I am running Mint 19.1 live from a USB stick with no problems. However, I have not been able to install Wine via the command line. A variety of reasons have been given for the failure eg broken dependencies, failure to contact wine server, no Tessa release file. Even using Software Manager or Synaptics didn't work.

Perhaps the reason is more basic? Can Wine be run on a live USB version of Mint? I didn't see why not as I had Knoppix running live from a USB stick (persistent) and I had all kinds of software on it installed by Wine whose installation was straightforward. Unfortunately, as always happens, the USB stick got corrupted and I tried Ubuntu 18.10 but had also problems with Wine and as Mint was getting good reviews decided to give it a try.

Thank you

Anyway, if anyone can help I'd love to have Wine running again.
dimesio

Re: Unable To Install Wine 4 on Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64

Post by dimesio »

ColDon wrote: A variety of reasons have been given for the failure eg broken dependencies, failure to contact wine server, no Tessa release file. Even using Software Manager or Synaptics didn't work.
Broken dependencies certainly could cause a failure to install; the way to deal with that is to work your way backwards, installing each package apt complains about, until you reach the one that is blocking everything. If you were trying to install the winehq-devel 4.5 package, the problem may be the libfaudio0 dependency; see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32192 for instructions on how to deal with it (or install wine-stable or wine-staging, which are built without FAudio support).

As for the other two things, "failure to contact wineserver" is not a package manager message; it would be an error message from trying to run something in Wine, which means you did install something, even if the install isn't working properly. "No Tessa release file" has nothing to do with Wine, but it does suggest something wrong with your underlying system.

Beyond that, I really can't guess what the problem might be without seeing console output.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@ColDon

Unless you supply the terminal output from trying to install the wine package and the contents of your apt repository files:

Code: Select all

find /etc/apt/ -type f -name "*.list" | xargs -I {} sh -c 'printf "\\n%s\\n" {}: ; cat {}'
... then it can be very hard to help troubleshoot these problems...

Please use Code tags:

when posting terminal commands and output, in this forum.

A quick way to pipe files and commands into your desktop clipboard is with xclip, e.g.:

sudo apt install xclip

find /etc/apt/ -type f -name "*.list" | xargs -I {} sh -c 'printf "\\n%s\\n" {}: ; cat {}'    | xclip -i -selection clipboard
This makes it easier to transfer terminal logs / output, pasting these directly into your web browser!

Bob
ColDon

Post by ColDon »

Thank you for your replies. I have now managed to install Wine after a number of attempts although not sure how as I used the same terminal commands. I guess I was hoping the repository would be updated. Output from the --version command confirms that it is version 4.0 that is installed and the WineGlass icon is on the desktop over te windows file I want to run.

I needed to install Wine since the Linux "appimage" iso download of clipgrab had problems because it did not include the necessary ffmpeg or avconv files. However, I was also unable to run the windows version under Wine. I clicked on the "Open with" menu option and was able to select "Wine Windows Program Loader" as the default.Unfortunately running it produced an error meassage: "File not found". When I clicked on the ok button to dismiss that message another one appeared : "There is no windows program configured to open this type of file". Strangely the installation said that it was configuring the program and it downloaded and installed the required Mono and Gecko files for me.

A "Wine Configuration" window also appeared but there was no indication of what if anything I was expected to enter/ change in the various tabs for, Applications, Drives, Audio, About, Libraries, Graphics, Desktop Integration. Since the first tab contained the wording "Default Settings" I rather naively thought that the settings already entered on all the tabs provided the default version. When I click on properties menu item of the WineGlass icon and then open up permissions I see that the "Execute" option is ticked to "allow executing file as Program".

The windows version of the clipgrab set up file is saved in two places:
/home/mint/Downloads/clipgrab-3.8.2-cgorg(1).exe
/home/mint/Desktop/clipgrab-3.8.2-cgorg(1).exe

Unfortunately I am at a loss as to where the installed windows files are located. I am also stuck with these error messages and can't get them off the desktop.

Now I am more confused than ever having tried a number of distros and found that trying to install a program never works out except on Knoppix and thus becomes an unmitigated disaster with the effect that Windows, despite its foibles, is beginning to look more and more as the lesser pain in the neck of the two operating systems. If someone can explain how to configure Wine to open this windows program I would be grateful. Otherwise I guess it will be goodbye Linux.

I will be disappointed because Mint looked so promising and had quite a windows look about it.

Thank you
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Using wine as a new user is not as easy as "point and click" tbh.

Normally without any other settings or anything, wine installed files and whatnot would be located in your $HOME/.wine folder.

However, juggling various wine apps/special settings+++ all that is needed to get things to work (sometimes), you can create many "wineprefixes", and thats where it gets funny. However, someone has made a tool that is somewhat easier to use and figure out. (Although, learning the hard way is never wrong i guess).
Do a google search for "lutris", and take a look. (I did not post a link in case i get flogged by moderators in here posting a link to a 3rd party app hehe)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Cybermax wrote:...
Do a google search for "lutris", and take a look. (I did not post a link in case i get flogged by moderators in here posting a link to a 3rd party app hehe)
I doubt anyone is going to get flogged for doing that... :lol:

The only concern about new users using third party tools, like Lutris, is when that new user then comes "here" expecting support / help.
Yet the very tool they are using obscures a lot of the process, around how to use Wine correctly and efficiently.

Lutris isn't too bad in this respect, since all the game install scripts are published online.
But if you need to use non-game Windows applications under Wine, with Lutris, then you are SOL...

Bob