Wine refuses to work after messing nvidia drivers

Questions about Wine on Linux
cool_boy_mew

Wine refuses to work after messing nvidia drivers

Post by cool_boy_mew »

Distro: Linux MX - Debian based

Man did I screw up

I had issues with Wine on some games, so I tried to install the backport of the Nvidia drivers, because it's the latest one I can install (410) and from there, everything just kinda stopped working

I'm new at using a Linux distro as a main OS at home, so this sure was a learning experience. You ain't learning anything until you break stuff and attempt to fix it!
- Searched the forum and found sudo ddm-mx -p nvidia to uninstall the driver
- Reinstalling didn't work, apparently there was a 410 dependency that was still installed and expected the 390 one instead
- Checked my installed repos if that was the issue, it wasn't
- The message I got was confusing, it's as if it was going to install that dependency, but it was already installed. Simply removing it worked. It was libsomething 410. Sorry, don't remember the name
- While messing around with the whole thing, I accidentally uninstalled ddm-mx, so the Nvidia driver installer from the MX Tool menu disappeared
- Eventually found it again and reinstalled it
- The drivers were correctly reinstalled
- I know for a fact that the drivers are working, MPV appears in nvidia-smi when it's opened, so it's working it seems

Whoo, what a mess. I included all of this in this thread as it could maybe help understand what is going on? And in case someone messed up as badly as I did ;) It's also possible that the nvidia driver mess isn't even the cause, maybe a rogue update or something?

However, nothing Wine works now, when tried it from the command line "wine #program#", it simply gave me:
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 4.5 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
And nothing else

I deleted it all in Lutris, from the apt-get, even attempted to delete Proton from Steam. Also delete the .wine folder in my $HOME and reinstalled everything. Now I get slightly more info:
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 4.5 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe"
000b:err:wineboot:ProcessRunKeys Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (2)

This still does nothing, wine does it's initial setup and ... nothing. Nothing opens. Proton and co doesn't work either and doesn't give me much to go on, as from what I googled, usually there's more following these errors. Winecfg opens however

But either way, I've kinda reached a troubleshooting dead end. Anyone has any idea what's going on?

Thanks!
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Wine refuses to work after messing nvidia drivers

Post by Cybermax »

It is not clear to me what you are trying to run.

Does

Code: Select all

winecfg
open the wine configure window?

If it does, and its a game or something you are trying to run, chances are you are missing a 32-bit library when messing with the nvidia drivers perhaps.

I dont know ddm-mx. Is that some sort of package manager? Debian based distro could possibly use apt aswell..

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
perhaps.
cool_boy_mew

Re: Wine refuses to work after messing nvidia drivers

Post by cool_boy_mew »

Sorry for the late post, I forgot I posted here

Ultimately, I fixed the issue. Reinstalled everything. Wine staging 2.x seems to work a bit. I don't know why it simply stopped working when I messed around, but one game that worked gave me midi errors and such, anyways, it works now

As for Proton, I think I found the issue. It's likely not the drivers, but the NTFS drive itself. I used to mount my old HDDs with the file manager at the beginning because I haven't messed with fstab yet. Then I added the folders in to steam. It worked. However it seems that whatever the distro does to fstab with the NTFS-3G driver, that made that Proton wouldn't work on the games already installed on the NTFS drive ... Why? No freaking clue

Either way, my issue is solved now, but I sure wish I could solve that font issue on that one visual novel (It appears as squares), even proton doesn't work for it