Unable to run any program with wine (in terminal)

Questions about Wine on macOS.
motsmotsmots

Unable to run any program with wine (in terminal)

Post by motsmotsmots »

I have installed wine 4.0 via homebrew, everything was fine.

I changed the locale to JP via to play JP visual novels

Code: Select all

export LANG=ja_JP-UTF-8
After attempting to change back the locale to english to run some other games, by using the same code with

export LANG=en_US-UTF-8
Things broke.

Now when I try to run any wine program, including winecfg, the following occurs:

wine winecfg

dyld: Library not loaded: /usr/local/Cellar/wine/4.0/lib/libwine.1.dylib
  Referenced from: /usr/local/Cellar/wine/4.0/lib/../bin/wineserver
  Reason: no suitable image found.  Did find:
	/usr/local/Cellar/wine/4.0/lib/libwine.1.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
	/usr/local/Cellar/wine/4.0/lib/libwine.1.dylib: stat() failed with errno=1
	/usr/local/lib/libwine.1.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
	/usr/local/Cellar/wine/4.0/lib/libwine.1.0.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
	/usr/local/Cellar/wine/4.0/lib/libwine.1.0.dylib: mach-o, but wrong architecture
The same error occurs even after clean reinstallation of wine, winetricks and homebrew via a script and manual deletion of the /usr/local/ folder.

I've searched far and wide on the internet for an answer, and the only thing I've found is a korean website detailing the installation of wine via homebrew to run korean programs. It had exactly 1 user who experienced the exact same error as mine, so I assume it has to do something with the locale code I used.

The only workaround is to install wine from a .pkg and run Wine Stable through that.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Unable to run any program with wine (in terminal)

Post by Gcenx »

I can tell you from experience the homebrew compile of wine is worse then the Winehq releases.

You can easily add the Winehq releases to function within a stock Terminal session, check the macOS wiki section for instructions on adding a Winehq release to PATH of your not sure.

Using homebrew for installing winetricks is good as it also installs the other needed binaries that it needs.