Mouse lag/stuck

Questions about Wine on Linux
BenjaC79

Mouse lag/stuck

Post by BenjaC79 »

Hello,

I get this issue with some games I have installed since last 4.0 upgrade, specifically Fallout (1) and Fallout New Vegas. Both with good ratings on AppDB. The issue is the mouse cursor getting slow/laggy, moving at uneven speed, sometimes stuck on the edges of the screen. Other than that these games seem to run just fine with no noticeable graphic lag.

I have tried different prefixes, 32 and 64bit archs, different winecfg configs, with and without bumblebee, with no success. Now I remember these games running fine not so long ago on this same computer.

I use debian stretch, wine-stable 4.0, multiarch.

Any help would be appreciated.
BenjaC79

Re: Mouse lag/stuck

Post by BenjaC79 »

Replying to my own post as I did further digging and testing.

With no results :
- Disabling/Enabling "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows", "Allow the window manager to control/decorate the windows" in winecfg.
- Tried with the steam version (I used gog version previously) and the issue is the same (with steam beta, using Proton 3.16-6 Beta).

Then found a workaround in a post related to skyrim. For Fallout New Vegas setting "bBackground Mouse=1" in fallout.ini seems to prevent the issue. The gog version (already patched for high resolution) of Fallout 1 can be used with an alternative mouse input control that also does the trick: "ALT_MOUSE_INPUT=1" in f1_res.ini.

I'm still wandering as I remember not having these issues something like 6 months ago.
Hope this helps, sorry for the bad language.
ValterPravnik

Post by ValterPravnik »

I experienced the same thing with GTA San Andreas after upgrading to winehq 4.0 on Ubuntu 18.04.
Whenever I move the mouse there are severe lags/freezes for up to 3 seconds.

I also tried toggeling "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" on and off but this makes it only worse since then my keyboard stops working.

I decided rolling back to winehq 3.0.5 but i have no clue how to install it. Althoug I added the repository and the command

Code: Select all

apt-cache policy winehq-stable
shows me winehq stable version 3.0.5 I cant install it. But I can install winehq stable 4.0.

Really anoying
ValterPravnik

Post by ValterPravnik »

I experienced the very same think since upgrading to 4.0. I'm running Ubuntu 18.04 and Intel HD graphics 3000

In GTA San Andreas the game freezes for up to 3 seconds when I move the mouse. Prior to 4.0 everything worked fine.
Toggeling "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows" also didn't solve it but made it worse since my keyboard stopped working.

I think in this reddit thread they are discussing the same problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wine_gaming/co ... ain_games/
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

apt-cache policy winehq-stable
shows me winehq stable version 3.0.5 I cant install it. But I can install winehq stable 4.0.
You should be able to install an older version with:

Code: Select all

(replace "something" with the Ubuntu package name.)
sudo apt install winehq-stable=3.0.5~something wine-stable=3.0.5~something wine-stable-amd64=3.0.5~something wine-stable-i386=3.0.5~something
JacobTheHeartless

Post by JacobTheHeartless »

Set bBackground Mouse=1 in oblivion.ini Helps with mouse lag in Oblivion. Thank you BenjaC79 ! Looks like issue is related to Bethesda's engine
Gregmus

Post by Gregmus »

BenjaC79 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:15 pm Replying to my own post as I did further digging and testing.

With no results :
- Disabling/Enabling "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows", "Allow the window manager to control/decorate the windows" in winecfg.
- Tried with the steam version (I used gog version previously) and the issue is the same (with steam beta, using Proton 3.16-6 Beta).

Then found a workaround in a post related to skyrim. For Fallout New Vegas setting "bBackground Mouse=1" in fallout.ini seems to prevent the issue. The gog version (already patched for high resolution) of Fallout 1 can be used with an alternative mouse input control that also does the trick: "ALT_MOUSE_INPUT=1" in f1_res.ini.

I'm still wandering as I remember not having these issues something like 6 months ago.
Hope this helps, sorry for the bad language.
Thank you so much. ALT_MOUSE_INPUT helped me with fallout2 in file f2_res.ini.
MrTom

Post by MrTom »

Hello.
I have wine-4.0.3.
Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
I installed the Fallout from GOG in high resolution and in a file "f1_res.ini" you have
"UAC_AWARE=1" change to =0 , and ALT_MOUSE_INPUT=1 same.
it may be too late to reply, but it may be helpful to others.

Regards
MrTom