Help installing exe.

Questions about Wine on macOS.
klkerr2
Level 2
Level 2

Help installing exe.

Post by klkerr2 »

I have been trying for a few days to install the Sims 4 onto my laptop and could really use some help! I am running the 1.8.6 configuration of Wine and successfully installed the same game without the new patch a few months ago. Originally I installed it by right clicking on my .exe file and pressing "open with" wine and it installed it for me. Now when I do that it makes a prefix and brings me to a wine doc that looks like a word document? So I tried to go to the pull down on the wine app and click "Control Panel" and "Install" and opened my .exe file but I get a message that says "The program TS4.exe has encountered a serious problem..etc". Really not sure what to do if someone could please help me. Honestly considering just buying a dang PC :cry:
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Help installing exe.

Post by DarkShadow44 »

First, update your wine - 1.8.x is years out of date. Then try to run it from the terminal and see what happens.
klkerr2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by klkerr2 »

Do you mean the development 2.0 version? Because the 1.8.6 is the most up to date stable version on the webiste. Both the 1.8.6 and the 2.0 are just creating prefixes when I try to install with winebottler and with wine it says "command not found" or "no such file or directory" or "The Program TS4.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close".
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Winebottler is not supported here; this forum is for plain Wine only. The current stable release of Wine is 4.0 and the current development and staging releases are 4.3. Use the WineHQ packges. http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

First remove Winebottler and Wine as those are both nothing todo with Winehq releases and could cause issues for you later. (That’s where a lot of confusion comes in as Winebottler bundles it’s own custom “Wine.app”)

Use this link and make sure you install XQuartz 2.7.11, then install a wine package.
http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/macosx/download.html

For more information on getting wine to run from a normal terminal window and other settings check the wiki section https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS_FAQ
klkerr2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by klkerr2 »

Okay I did all of that and this happened

Kories-MacBook-Pro:~ koriekerr$ wine TS4.exe
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Common/ChunkCompression.cpp:49: Error: unsupported compressor 8
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/Exceptions.plist'
/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleFSCompression/AppleFSCompression-96.200.3/Libraries/CompressData/CompressData.c:353: Error: Unknown compression scheme encountered for file '/System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Library/AppExceptions.bundle/Exceptions.plist'
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\TS4.exe"
klkerr2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by klkerr2 »

If someone could help me with terminal I would be really grateful, I just don't understand it at all
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Ignore the Compression messages that’s a false positive.

Your trying to run “wine TS4.exe” from your home folder, you can cheat here just type wine into terminal then drop TS4.exe onto the terminal windows then press enter.
klkerr2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by klkerr2 »

When I do that this happens

Kories-MacBook-Pro:~ koriekerr$ wine/Users/koriekerr/Desktop/TS4.exe
-bash: wine/Users/koriekerr/Desktop/TS4.exe: No such file or directory
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

There must be a space after wine.
klkerr2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by klkerr2 »

Kories-MacBook-Pro:~ koriekerr$ wine /Users/koriekerr/Desktop/TS4.exe
-bash: wine: command not found
klkerr2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by klkerr2 »

Now I am getting this

Kories-MacBook-Pro:~ koriekerr$ wine /Users/koriekerr/Desktop/TS4.exe
0009:err:module:import_dll Library OrangeEmu (which is needed by L"Z:\\Users\\koriekerr\\Desktop\\TS4.exe") not found
0009:err:module:attach_dlls Importing dlls for L"Z:\\Users\\koriekerr\\Desktop\\TS4.exe" failed, status c0000135
Kories-MacBook-Pro:~ koriekerr$
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

You're missing a dll, did you install that program properly?
klkerr2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by klkerr2 »

I did it how I usually do but I can try downloading again
klkerr2
Level 2
Level 2

Post by klkerr2 »

Okay, I got it to run, do you know how to create a shortcut so I don't have to open the terminal every time? I don't have enough room on my laptop for everything so I want to create a shortcut in my external hard drive. I have looked at the instructions on the FAQ and they just don't make any sense to me.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

You can create a simple .desktop file, see for example https://www.maketecheasier.com/create-d ... ile-linux/. Is that what you mean?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

DarkShadow44 wrote:You can create a simple .desktop file, see for example https://www.maketecheasier.com/create-d ... ile-linux/. Is that what you mean?
That’s very Linux specific the macOS section includes how to make an AppleScript launcher and .command launcher.

I slightly updated them both a while back
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Sorry, overlooked we're in the Mac section here...