Loading latest engine into Wineskin

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Nafai

Loading latest engine into Wineskin

Post by Nafai »

I know Wineskin is not supported in this forum, but I figured someone here must be using it. As you may know it hasn't been supported for sometime and the latest engine available in Winskin is 2.22. Seems wine is up to 4.0-4.5 now. In addition with High Sierra Wineskin had some problems starting a program. The solution was to uncheck the auto sense GPU checkbox or something like that. Some Macs running High Sierra can use this old engine and will open the particular in house program I've wrapped. Other Macs don't have such luck and also it seem some or all Mojave Macs won't open the program either. So my question is: 1. How to I load the 4.0 engine into Wineskin and 2. If I need to do more than just have an updated engine for Mojave what else do I need or is Wineskin just now unusable forever? (Hope not, it's a great program) In lieu of that, and besides using Crossover, is there any substitute for Wineskin that works the same as Wineskin? Thanks.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Loading latest engine into Wineskin

Post by Gcenx »

First let me post the usual Winehq disclaimer, third party utility’s Winebottler, PlayOnMac and Wineskin are not supported.

Ok that’s outta the way, I actually run a Wineskin fork https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer grab from the release section.
Unlike the official version the provided precompiled Engines, Unofficial Wineskin uses Winehq releases that it repackages into Engines to be used with Wineskin. (This happens on your system)

GPU detection works, it always uses the latest version of Winetricks as it only downloads it when you first launch the “Winetricks”menu.
It includes a lot of internal changes and fixes
Nafai

Post by Nafai »

Thank you so much for your reply and the great information. I had no idea about this updated link. And a big big thanks to the developers that continue to keep WineSkin alive!!! It's really a terrific program and nothing else will work for me.

I installed the new Wineskin with 4.00 engine and 2.8.9 wrapper version and created a wrapper of my program, and it seemed to install the program just fine at least the first time I tried it. But a couple things: I tried creating a new wrapper (under a new name) to change a few screen setting to try some things, and when I tried to install the program again, this time it just went "busy" permanently and did not run my installation program. I tried putting the screen settings back and tried a new wrapper again and install again and same thing, just endless busy with no install program happening. I tried re-booting the Mac (High Sierra) and then created a new wrapper again (new name again) and still just "Wineskin is currently busy, Please Wait..." I waited for several minutes and nothing. I also tried removing the wineskin folder from my application directory and that made no difference. What is wrong? Worked great the first time.

Also on screen settings, I notice that if I select MacDriver, then close the dialog (there is no OK button) then open it again, it goes back to x11 setting instead. Does it accept the setting if I choose MacDriver and just close?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Discussing this here could be an issue since it’s not supported here.
You would be better opening an issue on GitHub or posting in the linked thread http://portingteam.com/topic/11037-wine ... al-update/
Nafai

Post by Nafai »

I understand. Thanks for the info and I'll continue on GitHub and the link you suggested.

Thanks again!