USB scanner snapscan

Questions about Wine on Linux
VARN

USB scanner snapscan

Post by VARN »

Wine version is 4.4
OS is Opensuse leap 15
I'm trying to get my scanner working, a Fujitsu S1500.
http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/p ... s1500.html
I can install the scansnap manager software and it seems to work perfectly.
The scanner works on the OS with Skanlite.

I can't seem to get the scanner to communicate with the software.
I've tried assigning usb6 to drive S and nothing happened.

Is it even possible to pass the data from the USB through Wine, I'd like to do this without resorting to a VirtualBox.

Really new to Linux, just trying to get everything working.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Re: USB scanner snapscan

Post by lahmbi5678 »

You should first try to make the scanner work under linux. You can't install Windows hardware drivers in wine, they simply won't work. The basic idea is to get the scanner working in linux via SANE (driver interface), then you should be able to access the scanner in wine via TWAIN, you then wouldn't need a windows hardware driver.

The S1500 should be supported by SANE out of the box, I'd try that first. There's also a driver package from Fujitsu, but it's for Ubuntu mainly, and it shouldn't be necessary.

Once you've got your scanner running with SANE, you should see it in your wine application. No warranties though, and if you are on 64bit linux, which Leap is, you will have to install the 32bit version of SANE libs and maybe some additional 32bit stuff for wine, since wine still uses 32bit libs mainly, even if you are running a 64bit app under wine. It may be helpful to set twain.dll to native in winecfg, but again I'd first try without that override.

I looked in the wine wiki and it seems there's hardly any coverage of wine and TWAIN at all.
VARN

Post by VARN »

Thanks for the help, you've given me a place to start.

Turns out this scanner doesn't use Twain, the Scansnap manager communicates directly with the scanner.

It does work natively with Sane in Linux, unfortunately it's very simple one page at a time system. With the Scansnap you press the button on the scanner it scans, removes blank pages, detects misfeeds and saves the file in a predetermined folder then it's immediately ready for the next scan.

The way I understand how Sane and Twain work, they call the scanner from the OS; Scansnap works opposite by listening for the scanner to say 'I'm scanning, prepare for data.'

Scansnap makes a folder called Driver with about 200 files in it, I tried renaming it 'Twain_32' and moving it the 'Windows' folder; as expected, it did nothing. I'm kinda at the end of my ideas for things I can try.
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Sorry to hear that. There's a driver page from Fujitsu, for Ubuntu, for a similar scanner.

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/p ... buntu.html

They provide a user guide pdf, that describes a lot of options for scanimage, like batch and duplex, not sure if that is what you'd want, and you'd have to run it in terminal. There are other linux applications like gscan2pdf, though I don't have any experience with it.

If you really want to use Snapscan in linux, you may have to resort to installing Windows XP or 7 in a VM like VMware or VirtualBox, which basically defeats the purpose of using linux. On the other hand, a lean and mean XP installation in a VM can be some kind of fun, and used XP licenses should be very cheap. Not sure, if the Snapscan software would still install under XP, it may require 7 as a minimum.