Problem with dependencies installing Wine 4 in Ubuntu 18.04.

Questions about Wine on Linux
ciltocruz
Level 1
Level 1

Problem with dependencies installing Wine 4 in Ubuntu 18.04.

Post by ciltocruz »

Hi all.

First of all, I want to indicate that I have looked in the forum for help and I have not come up with any solution that is "correct for me".

Installing wine with the found here I get this output:

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-devel

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 winehq-devel: Depends: wine-devel (= 4.1 ~ bionic)
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Then I tried to install the dependencies backwards until I have arrived at a dependency that seems to "want to reinstall the whole system". It's a joke, but the number of uninstalled packages is not normal ...

This has happened to me with this dependence:

-------------------------------------

Code: Select all

winehq-devel: It depends: wine-devel (= 4.1 ~ bionic)

wine-devel: It depends: wine-devel-i386 (= 4.1 ~ bionic)

wine-devel-i386: i386: It depends: libgphoto2-6: i386 (> = 2.5.10) but it will not be installed
                        Recommend: libfontconfig1: i386 but it will not be installed
                        Recommend: libfreetype6: i386 but it will not be installed
                        Recommend: libpng16-16: i386 but it will not be installed or
                                    libpng12-0: i386 but it is not installable
                        Recommend: libsane: i386 or
                                    libsane1: i386 but will not install
                        Recommend: libtiff5: i386 but it will not be installed
------------------------------------

libgd3: i386
It depends: libfontconfig1: i386 (> = 2.12) but it will not be installed
               It depends: libfreetype6: i386 (> = 2.2.1) but it will not be installed
               It depends: libpng16-16: i386 (> = 1.6.2-1) but it will not be installed
               It depends: libtiff5: i386 (> = 4.0.3) but it will not be installed

libfontconfig1: i386: It depends: libfreetype6: i386 (> = 2.2.1) but it will not be installed

libfreetype6: i386: It depends: libpng16-16: i386 (> = 1.6.2-1) but it will not be installed

And right here, with
libpng16-16:i386
is where it appears that 714 packages will be deleted and only 5 will be installed. This isn't normal.

uname -a
:
Linux 4.15.0-45-generic # 48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 29 16:28:13 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU / Linux

Revised posts:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31949
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31807#p120342
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31950

Any help is welcome.
Regards!
dimesio

Re: Problem with dependencies installing Wine 4 in Ubuntu 18

Post by dimesio »

ciltocruz wrote: And right here, with
libpng16-16:i386
is where it appears that 714 packages will be deleted and only 5 will be installed. This isn't normal.
This problem can occur when you have installed packages from third party PPAs that are not multiarch ready. You need to replace the non-multiarch-ready packages with the standard Ubuntu ones. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43080
ciltocruz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciltocruz »

But... do I have to uninstall the 714 packages and reinstall them to be from the official ubuntu repositories? A lot of work ... I'll be without Wine until I get the next Factory Reset.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

ciltocruz wrote:But... do I have to uninstall the 714 packages and reinstall them to be from the official ubuntu repositories? A lot of work ... I'll be without Wine until I get the next Factory Reset.
No. You need to figure out which package(s) installed on your system are not multiarch-ready, and replace them with ones that are. From what you've posted, I'd start by looking at libpng16.
ciltocruz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciltocruz »

dimesio wrote:
ciltocruz wrote:But... do I have to uninstall the 714 packages and reinstall them to be from the official ubuntu repositories? A lot of work ... I'll be without Wine until I get the next Factory Reset.
No. You need to figure out which package(s) installed on your system are not multiarch-ready, and replace them with ones that are. From what you've posted, I'd start by looking at libpng16.

Okay. I have detected that this package seems to be "in conflict".

What steps should I do, uninstall the version without "i-386" and install the "i-386" version?

This package is a library ...

What happens if, removing the library, a lot of programs are uninstalled? Then I must reinstall them one by one?

Regards!!
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You need both the 32 and 64 bit packages, both need to be the same version of the library, and both should be from the main Ubuntu repository. As to how to do that without apt wanting to uninstall programs, ask on the Ubuntu forum. I don't use Ubuntu so my knowledge of apt is pretty limited.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

You can replace a package if you use a version number.

First find the right multiarch version you want to install.
The version number must be the same for both packages.

apt policy libpng16-16 libpng16-16:i386
Install the version with:

sudo apt install libpng16-16=<number> libpng16-16:i386=<number>
ciltocruz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciltocruz »

The problem remains the same. When I try to install one of those "i386" libraries, the system offers to uninstall more than 500 packages.

This is what the companion commented above. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43080

I really do not see a "quick" solution. I must go 1 to 1 looking at the i-386 packages and choosing the versions that suit them best.

And I've even tried installing an earlier version of Wine (3) and it does not work either.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Did you enable 32 bit architecture on your system as the instructions specify?
ciltocruz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciltocruz »

Yes, I did it.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You have to figure out which package(s) are not multiarch ready and replace them with ones that are. Do you really have so many packages installed from third party PPAs that you can't identify which ones are the problem?
ciltocruz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciltocruz »

Today, I have a travel.
Tomorrow I will see these packages and I will tell you my ppa's.

Thanks.
ciltocruz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciltocruz »

I tried to install Ubuntu 18.10 by update. (all ppa disabled).

I have not been able to install wine without ppa's and the problem persists. Something wrong or some packages are wrong in my system.

Maybe the best thing is to format ... I do not see another solution.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

I tried to install Ubuntu 18.10 by update
Was the update successful? If it was successful you also have to change the WineHQ repo from bionic to cosmic.
Maybe the best thing is to format ... I do not see another solution.
You don't have to format your harddrive, but the decision is up to you.
There are tools available to find which packages are the culprit

sudo apt install apt-show-versions
apt-show-versions | grep "No available version"
Probably this will output a list with packages. These packages aren't part of Ubuntu, so they are save to remove.

An other option is to try aptitude

sudo aptitude install --with-recommends winehq-devel
Carefully read the output. Or post the terminal output.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

winehq-devel does NOT depend on wine-devel.

But, you might have ubuntu repo's wine-devel installed, and that creates a conflict, cos you cant install wine-devel, and THEN add WineHQ PPA, and "upgrade" to winehq-devel afaik. You have to first uninstall wine-devel.

dpkg -l|grep -i wine
Ofc uninstalling packages here can risk uninstalling a lot of dependencies. I am at work atm, so cant really remember the exact commands used, but i would start by following something like this https://itsfoss.com/how-to-remove-or-de ... quick-tip/, and see if you can remove the winehq ppa without removing too much and see if some packages gets "released", and THEN you can uninstall whatever ubuntu version of wine-devel.

Once THAT is done, you add winehq ppa, and you should be able to install from winehq. It is cos of conflicts between ubuntu version of wine and winehq version of wine.

PS. Do not immediately press YES on anything popping up without using some sense.. cos suddenly you remove X11 and loads of shit and ends up with a non-usable system...
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Cybermax wrote:winehq-devel does NOT depend on wine-devel..
Yes, it does. The winehq-devel packages do nothing but pull in the wine-devel, wine-devel-amd64 and wine-devel-i386 packages and install symlinks to make it the default wine version on the system. The winehq-stable and winehq-staging packages behave similarly.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Cybermax wrote:...
But, you might have ubuntu repo's wine-devel installed, and that creates a conflict, cos you cant install wine-devel, and THEN add WineHQ PPA, and "upgrade" to winehq-devel afaik. You have to first uninstall wine-devel.
You seem to be confused.
Canonical do not supply a package called wine-devel.
This is specific to the WineHQ Ubuntu Wine packaging setup.

For reference: Ubuntu - Packages - Package Search "wine"

Bob
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Bob Wya wrote:
Cybermax wrote:...
You seem to be confused.
Canonical do not supply a package called wine-devel.
This is specific to the WineHQ Ubuntu Wine packaging setup.

For reference: Ubuntu - Packages - Package Search "wine"

Bob
Right you are.
I was probably thinking about just "wine" that is in Ubuntu package repo's. Sorry.

Best bet would still be to clear out the PPA, and re-add it imo.
ciltocruz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ciltocruz »

I have removed all the PPAs and the update to ubuntu 18.10 was successful. Now it is another package that conflicts with both the canonical version and the PPA version.

I must have something that causes very bad dependencies but I can not find it ...
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Well.. i dont have "another package" installed, so hard to troubleshoot that.......

Joking aside, its troublesome to troubleshoot at times, but you can check things like "aptitude" that have SOME explanations when it comes to conflicts, and suggestion what to do. However, do not just pop "Apply" without knowing what you do, cos whamola, your whole system is reduced to a pulp before your eyes :) Use it to gain clues to dependencies and stuff.

Another useful tool is apt-cache. You can use apt-cache to get repo info for instance

apt-cache madison winehq-devel
You may also "force" a older version of a package to get in line with Ubuntu repo's so that upgrades will work again.

Eg. If you have "another_package 2.0" installed, and the latest available at Ubuntu repo is 1.9, you can downgrade this with:

sudo apt install another_package=1.9
This can sometimes untagle breakage, in the case that "another_package 2.0" depends on something not available, while "another_package 1.9" have requirements in order.