Legacy Family Tree version 9

Questions about Wine on Linux
fargodwe

Legacy Family Tree version 9

Post by fargodwe »

I have been working on trying to convert my family history from Legacy Family Tree version 7.5 (which I have had running in wine for quite a while) to Legacy Family Tree version 9. When I try to export to a gedcom file in Legacy 9 I get an error from the application that does not happen with the same program and data in a Windows environment. This would be reading the entire database and creating a "flat" file from that. I know it uses an Access database, and based on previous problems with a program called "GedStar Pro" I did 4 things:

(1) created a 32-bit wine prefix
(2) installed the program to that prefix
(3) installed mdac28 and jet40 via winetricks
(4) downloaded, installed and registered an older version of oleauth32.dll since this had also caused problems in the past

The problem persists. I have a hunch this is one of those that requires someone with tech experience in wine just as GedStar Pro did.

I don't know at this point what to do to even get started with this, provide documentation that would be needed, etc. I know it kicks out a lot of the same error that working on GedStar Pro did, but with GedStar Pro those errors were not related to the problem.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: This is using the free version of Legacy 9 that can be downloaded for free and can be duplicated using the sample database that comes with the free version.
fargodwe

Re: Legacy Family Tree version 9

Post by fargodwe »

I tried to create a log file which would be the attachment. Please note that the program doesn't abort completely out rather the create gedcom issues an error. I'm not sure if the log file will be helpful - I had to ctrl-c in order to get the wine verb to stop even though I had exited the program.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Is there a way to echo a comment into a file being created by another process? Since the problem I am seeking help on here does not cause the complete program to abort, I would like to be able to insert something like:

******* ERROR HAPPENED ABOVE HERE *********

Into the log file so that when I close the program someone would know where in that log the problem actually occurred.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

Since Legacy is a Windows program the support does not extend to Linux and wine. I tried to ask one of the developers questions that would not require any knowledge of linux - i.e. has the code changed, has the development environment changed, etc., to try to determine if there is a dll I need to override or something along those lines. What I got back for the reply was that the error normally shows that there were errors in the installation. They give a series of things to do to try to correct this. One of these is to reboot Windows. If I just exit the program and restart it is that considered a restart in wine, or is there another step like "winereboot" or some such thing?

I looked at the installers for Legacy 7.5 which does work versus Legacy 9 which has the problems and there is a large difference in size in one of the folders contained within the installation exe according to the archive manager. I don't think it's going to matter much what I say to the program support for Legacy but anything is worth a try.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

I downloaded and installed Crossover for the free trial. Installing and running Legac9 via Crossover works fine. The "stand-alone" wine version still aborts. I ran a diff between the Crossover drive_c and the wine drive_c. The only difference was that the Crossover version has a file .window-label that only contains the text "drive_c".

The Crossover "prefix" has a directory of windata which only contains icon images.

The Crossover "prefix" has a directory of "y:" under the dosdevices directory which seems to be a link back to my home folder.

The Crossover "prefix" has a directory of "desktopdata" in the "root" directory that is not in the wine version.

The Crossover "prefix" has several files in the "root" directory that are not in the wine version.

Can anyone help me on this?
fargodwe

Re: Legacy Family Tree version 9 *** SOLVED ****

Post by fargodwe »

Ok, after a LOT of trial and error, it pointed to something being different with trying to open the next dialog box. I added the all-fonts package via winetricks and it solved this problem and the export now runs. So Legacy made a change to the font request that worked in Windows but not in wine by default. At the very end, when wine is shutting down to program, I get an abort but from what I can tell this long after the files are backed up.
fargodwe

Post by fargodwe »

BTW - I did not need jet40 or the mdac's - it works fine with just adding the fonts.
fargodwe

Re: Legacy Family Tree version 9 SOLVED

Post by fargodwe »

For anyone looking, Legacy Family Tree version 9 runs in linux wine!!