Another Steam Thread

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Gidoza

Another Steam Thread

Post by Gidoza »

Hi there,

So I'm quite baffled with Steam problems with Wine at the moment. I've read through other threads and help places in here and on other forums (Steam, Reddit...), and I'm still getting nowhere. I'd appreciate the help as I'm a newbie at Wine and don't quite get what's going on. :)

So I have an iMac Early 2008, OS 10.8.5. Wine seems to run just fine on it and programs generally. Steam also appears to run fine. The problem arises when I try to play any game through Steam.

Steam will download games just fine, as far as I can tell. Once the game is downloaded, though, depending on the game, I get one of a variety of errors...

One game will tell me, "The Steam servers are too busy to handle your request for Sid Meier's Civilization V. Error Code (55)"

(this is nonsense, as it works fine on the Mac itself or when I run Boot Camp)

Another game will tell me, "Unable to find critical file - unable to load up gamedata.dat. Closing."

When this happens, I go to Steam and check the integrity of the game cache. Steam indeed finds that there is a file missing - Steam downloads the file, and then I try again. Once I boot, again - it is unable to find the file, which has mysteriously disappeared.

I suspect all the other games will be having similar problems...

What's going on? :/
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Another Steam Thread

Post by Gcenx »

OSX10.8 only supports TLS1.0 where Steam on Windows requires TLS1.2 to get that you would need to be running OSX10.9 and above.

That’s the reason your encounting problems with downloading games, it worked before as Steam still supported Windows XP but that was dropped January this year.
Gidoza

Post by Gidoza »

Gcenx wrote:OSX10.8 only supports TLS1.0 where Steam on Windows requires TLS1.2 to get that you would need to be running OSX10.9 and above.

That’s the reason your encounting problems with downloading games, it worked before as Steam still supported Windows XP but that was dropped January this year.
Allright - that makes sense. Guess I'll have to give up on my iMac then.

However, it doesn't make sense for my laptop I tried it on - which has OS 10.9 and above and is having exactly the same problem (down to the exact same descriptions). :/
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Gidoza wrote:
Gcenx wrote:OSX10.8 only supports TLS1.0 where Steam on Windows requires TLS1.2 to get that you would need to be running OSX10.9 and above.

However, it doesn't make sense for my laptop I tried it on - which has OS 10.9 and above and is having exactly the same problem (down to the exact same descriptions). :/
Weird since I’m able to download games from Steam within an OSX10.9 VM I setup for testing my project. This was with Wine4.0/4.1 and on Mojave also using CrossOver18.1.0

All I can think is you have some other issue going on with the other system.

What version of wine did you use and did you install Steam using Winetricks into a clean prefix?
Gidoza

Post by Gidoza »

Gcenx wrote:
Gidoza wrote:

Weird since I’m able to download games from Steam within an OSX10.9 VM I setup for testing my project. This was with Wine4.0/4.1 and on Mojave also using CrossOver18.1.0

All I can think is you have some other issue going on with the other system.

What version of wine did you use and did you install Steam using Winetricks into a clean prefix?

I'm using the latest version of Wine Staging. The latter part of the question is gobletigoup to me - I may need a step-by-step approach here. :/
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Gidoza wrote:I'm using the latest version of Wine Staging. The latter part of the question is gobletigoup to me - I may need a step-by-step approach here. :/
The thing here is your running two older versions of OSX so getting the needed binaries for winetricks becomes troublesome at best.

My usual way is using homebrew to install winetrick, that gives the needed binaries and then use the winehq wine release added to PATH but installing homebrew onto 10.8/10.9 are not exactly supported.

As for making a clean prefix the wiki does include information on that and under the macOS section I also added information on how to add the winehq wine bundles to your users PATH so they can be used in a normal terminal session like the main wiki sections do.