I need more help with ALSA support than the wiki provides.

Questions about Wine on Linux
grz

I need more help with ALSA support than the wiki provides.

Post by grz »

I'm running 64-bit Fedora 29 and installed wine through Fedora's wine meta package (dnf install wine). This included the packages for alsa and I have confirmed that the winealsa.drv.so file is present in the /usr/lib/wine and /usr/lib64/wine directories. The option of using the ALSA drivers in place of Pulseaudio is not present in winecfg for me.

I've seen the "Sound" page in the WineHQ Wiki and need more help than the ALSA section provides. If I'm understanding it correctly, I am supposed to add 'winealsa.drv' to the registry with multi-string values for the ALSA input and output devices. I do not know how to determine what the values for the devices should be.

I think it should be helpful to note that my intention for getting the winealsa drivers working is for jack support through WINEASIO. I've already built and installed WINEASIO on my system.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: I need more help with ALSA support than the wiki provide

Post by jkfloris »

Can you change the sound driver to alsa with:

Code: Select all

winetricks sound=alsa
grz

Re: I need more help with ALSA support than the wiki provide

Post by grz »

I added a string named audio with the value "alsa" to HKCU\Software\Wine\Drivers, which did force the alsa drivers and cause them to be recognized in wineconfig, so from what I can tell the problem is solved as far as getting the alsa drivers working in place of pulseaudio.

I am having problems with Wineasio not showing up in my qjackctl patchbay (I am trying to run Reaper DAW in Wine), so if anyone on this forum has any experience in troubleshooting those things, I would appreciate the help.

(To answer a couple potential questions on that, I prepared and compiled the 64 bit version of wineasio and successfully registered it in the 64 bit library. I did not register it in the 32 bit library because the process failed, likely because I never made/compiled a separate file for 32-bit. I am trying to use 64-bit Reaper.)