New to Linux and Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
neutronstarz

New to Linux and Wine

Post by neutronstarz »

Hello, I have finally decided to make the switch to linux! I am enjoying it very much and find myself vastly interested in all there is to learn from this community. That being said, I had a question in regards to gaming with Wine. I am currently running wine 4.0 and trying to play the remake of resident evil 2 through my steam account and keep getting an error D3D11 create device faild.(HRESULT: 80004005). I have spent a decent amount of time looking for fixes and haven't run into anything so any guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks in advanced for any help.
thatubuntuguy
Level 2
Level 2

Re: New to Linux and Wine

Post by thatubuntuguy »

Hi!
Welcome to Linux! May I ask if you have a DX11 compatible GPU and if so, what resolution is the game attempting to render in and what resolution display you are using.

Also, please post the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -G
and

lspci -k | grep -EA3 'VGA|3D|Display'
neutronstarz

Post by neutronstarz »

Yes I just built a new computer 8700k intel radeon rx580 16gigs ddr4

Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.6 ) driver: amdgpu
           Resolution: [email protected], [email protected]
           OpenGL: renderer: Radeon RX 580 Series (POLARIS10 / DRM 3.23.0 / 4.15.0-45-generic, LLVM 6.0.0)
           version: 4.5 Mesa 18.0.5

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480] (rev e7)
	Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. [MSI] Ellesmere [Radeon RX 470/480/570/580]
	Kernel driver in use: amdgpu
	Kernel modules: amdgpu
as for your question for resolution rending I'm not exactly sure where I would find those values.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@neutronstarz

You might want to take a look at the DXVK project.
A third party compatibility layer, to translate DirectX 10+11 to Vulkan (which is not officially support on this website).
See: DXVK Wiki
See: Wikipedia: Vulkan_(API)
DXVK this tends to give much better performance, then wined3d - which uses the older Linux OpenGL graphics stack (to translate DirectX calls).
This is only the case for newer DirectX 10+11 titles.
But there is also a separate DXUP project, to translate DirectX 9 calls into DirectX 11 calls, which can run beside DXVK, in order to run DirectX 9 titles.

There has been some success getting Resident Evil 2 to run with DXVK.
See: Github doitsujin/dxvk : Issues "resident evil 2"

Getting Vulkan up-to-date, on Debian / Ubuntu, can be a real pain.
You need to get your whole graphics stack bang up-to-date (and not be using a 6 month old Mesa version, old kernel version, etc.)
I'd recommend looking / asking on Ask Ubuntu, reddit: /r/wine_gaming, etc.

Once you've done this step... You might also want to check out: Steam Support: Steam Play.
This is available, using the standard Linux Steam client.
This uses DXVK, "under the hood"... So again you'd need to ensure your Vulkan graphics stack was up-to-date.

Also... All new users, to Wine, are requested to read the WineHQ FAQ (in case you haven't already done so).

Bob
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@neutronstarz

I also found this thread on reddit today: ~/linux_gaming : Resident Evil 2 playable with the latest DXVK and Proton and mfplat.dll workaround.

That might be useful to you, as well...

Bob
neutronstarz

Post by neutronstarz »

Thank you all so much for your help you have given me much homework to work with XD