Can't install wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Can't install wine

Post by Tlmk3 »

Have a desktop running win 7 with a usb hdd with virtualbox Ubuntu 18.04. I've been fighting wine for awhile now.
Keep getting error about sources.list line 52. Question 1. Can I delete sources.list? 2.-If not how much can I edit and save so that I can download wine and install? 3.-I've got the screenshots as I tried. Would appreciate any help, one of you can do. Am taking a ubuntu course on udemy to get some education on how to do this. Learning the simularities of Linux and Dos 6. So I'm not learning from zero.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-02-01 15-56-49.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-01 16-02-22.png
Screenshot from 2019-02-01 15-59-38.png
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Can't install wine

Post by Bob Wya »

Tlmk3 wrote:Have a desktop running win 7 with a usb hdd with virtualbox Ubuntu 18.04. I've been fighting wine for awhile now.
Keep getting error about sources.list line 52. Question 1. Can I delete sources.list? 2.-If not how much can I edit and save so that I can download wine and install? 3.-I've got the screenshots as I tried. Would appreciate any help, one of you can do. Am taking a ubuntu course on udemy to get some education on how to do this. Learning the simularities of Linux and Dos 6. So I'm not learning from zero.
  1. Please don't post screenshots of text files and terminal output!! :roll:
    Post these either: on a pastebin-esque site or inline, in a forum post, using Code tags:

Code: Select all

as text!
  2. You can simply run:

sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak
    sudo sed -i -e 's/winehp/winehq/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    Line 52 should be:

https://dl.winehq.org/ ...
    not:

https://dl.winehp.org/ ...
Bob
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tlmk3 »

Thanks for the info, Bob. Please help me understand why about the post --no.1.
And no.2 --I thank you for the URL. no.3--I did get root access and changed line 52 and 53 to winehq. But when I try to apt-add-repository... I get an error " Malformed entry line 52 in list file etc/apt/sources.list (component). E: list of sources could not be read. It won't let me download wine and install. Is "sources.list" crucial to Ubuntu? Can it be deleted, or all entries of just winehq be deleted? Then I can start from scratch and maybe get wine installed. Thanks, I'm about ready to uninstall all of Ubuntu and start all over from the beginning--would rather not if I can fix this. Tlmk3
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by jkfloris »

Is "sources.list" crucial to Ubuntu?
Yes, it is. Your system doesn't explode, but you can't install or update new software.
or all entries of just winehq be deleted?
It is save to delete all winehq lines and try again.

post no. 1
You are in the root (/) directory and you haven't write permissions in that directory. The file winehq.key can't be saved and because of that, the key can't be installed.

post no. 2
Apt tries to read the sources.list file and gives an error on the first mistake. A missing white space between .../ubuntu/ and xenial on line 52
Tlmk3
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Tlmk3 »

Thanks JK. After a week and several hours (5 plus) a day, I finally have it installed. A lot of research on the net and a ton of experimentation. I don't understand the theory nor the implementation, but the job is done. The rest will come from a book, net and UDEMY. I appreciate your response. It helps.