Help to install Gecko and Mono

Questions about Wine on macOS.
webalchemist

Help to install Gecko and Mono

Post by webalchemist »

Hi to all,

I need your help. I installed winehq-stable-3.0.4.pkg on a Mac with OS X 10.14.2.

During the first launch oh WineHQ with SubRip there were 2 windows messago, one to install Mono and the other to install Gecko.

For connecctions problems, i did't installed Mono and Gecko.

So, now I downloaded wine-mono-4.7.5.msi, wine_gecko-2.47-x86.msi and wine_gecko-2.47-x86_64.msi.

Somebody can tell me how can I install the 3 msi?

Thank you!!!
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Help to install Gecko and Mono

Post by Gcenx »

You can do that afew different way.
The easy way would be “wine explorer” then navigate to where you have the gecko/mini files then run them.

Also it should be 4 files you need to install gecko x2 and mono x2 have them all downloaded then install them using the above easy.
harrikel

Post by harrikel »

Hello,
I'd like to rebound on webalchemist's post as I also have the problem, although the reason I did not install mono and gecko is because the WINE installation specifically advises to not use the automatic installation... In contradiction with the website...

Unfortunately, I don't understand Gcenx's solution - what is wine explorer?

- - -

I have tried to look for other solutions, but I am a bit stumped.

There are no clear explanations on the website as to how to do this.
For Mono, the site says simply that :
Wine 1.5.6 and later will install Wine-Mono automatically as needed.
and then that :
It will search for the MSI in the following locations:

The Unix directory stored in the "MonoCabDir" value at HKCU\Software\Wine\Dotnet.
/usr/share/wine/mono, or possibly some substitution for /usr if Wine was installed to a different location.
wine_build_directory/../mono, if Wine is being run from a build tree.
I downloaded and installed Wine Mono, and got a folder Wine-Mono-4.75 sitting on my destktop, with no idea what to do with it.
/usr brings me nowhere, but I found a similar destination by "showing package contents" of Wine :
contents/resources/wine/share/wine/

Do I create a /mono folder and move Wine-Mono-4.75 in it? Or its contents? Also, I don't see any MSI file...

And do I also create a /gecko folder and move the gecko MSI files here?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Harry
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

harrikel wrote:Hello,
I'd like to rebound on webalchemist's post as I also have the problem, although the reason I did not install mono and gecko is because the WINE installation specifically advises to not use the automatic installation... In contradiction with the website...
I have no idea what you mean by "WINE installation specifically advises..." Where exactly did you see that?
Unfortunately, I don't understand Gcenx's solution - what is wine explorer?
It is wine's version of Windows Explorer. You run it with wine explorer.exe.
Do I create a /mono folder and move Wine-Mono-4.75 in it? Or its contents? Also, I don't see any MSI file...
You should see msi files, because that's what you were supposed to download. It sounds like you mistakenly downloaded the source code. Unless you want to build wine-mono and wine-gecko yourself, delete those and download the .msi files. As to where to put them, on Linux they go in /usr/share/wine/mono and usr/share/wine/gecko, but I'm not sure if it's different for macOS. Hopefully a Mac user can help with that.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

dimesio wrote:You should see msi files, because that's what you were supposed to download. It sounds like you mistakenly downloaded the source code. Unless you want to build wine-mono and wine-gecko yourself, delete those and download the .msi files. As to where to put them, on Linux they go in /usr/share/wine/mono and usr/share/wine/gecko, but I'm not sure if it's different for macOS. Hopefully a Mac user can help with that.
For the above on macOS it’s two locations the easy one is;

~/.cache/wine (that’s where wine downloads these files too)

The other would be adding the installers inside the wine application that’s the way CrossOver Mac handles gecko installation but I’m not near my Mac as I’m in work currently so I can’t be 100% sure of the location for this one as I’m not near my system. It’s something like
“wine-stable.app/Resources/share/wine/“ I will edit my post as needed later then the wiki as needed.
harrikel

Post by harrikel »

Thanks for the replies!
dimesio wrote:I have no idea what you mean by "WINE installation specifically advises..." Where exactly did you see that?
Sorry, it was not at installation, it was when I launched it to open an app!
It said, for both Gecko and Mono, that I should install them but that Wine could download them for me. That seems pretty specific. I don't have the exact wording or a screenshot, however, because it doesn't mention it anymore.
dimesio wrote:It is wine's version of Windows Explorer. You run it with wine explorer.exe.
Still confused, sorry! I feel like a fish out of water. Do I just install Internet Explorer (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ion&iId=25) and run it with Wine? Because I can't find any "wine version of Windows Explorer", nor "wine explorer.exe.
dimesio wrote:You should see msi files, because that's what you were supposed to download. It sounds like you mistakenly downloaded the source code. Unless you want to build wine-mono and wine-gecko yourself, delete those and download the .msi files.
Ahaaah, I think that was it! Thank you. I downloaded wine-mono-4.7.5.tar.gz instead of wine-mono-4.7.5.msi
I have now corrected this.
dimesio wrote:As to where to put them, on Linux they go in /usr/share/wine/mono and usr/share/wine/gecko, but I'm not sure if it's different for macOS. Hopefully a Mac user can help with that.
Gcenx wrote:For the above on macOS it’s two locations the easy one is;

~/.cache/wine (that’s where wine downloads these files too)

The other would be adding the installers inside the wine application that’s the way CrossOver Mac handles gecko installation but I’m not near my Mac as I’m in work currently so I can’t be 100% sure of the location for this one as I’m not near my system. It’s something like
“wine-stable.app/Resources/share/wine/“ I will edit my post as needed later then the wiki as needed.
Ok, so, um...
Where is - ~/.cache/wine ?

The only "wine/share" folder configuration I found until now was in the Wine package :
...which does look to me much like what you suggested, Gcenx. I'll wait for you confirmation!

Thank you very much!
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

harrikel wrote:Thanks for the replies!
Sorry, it was not at installation, it was when I launched it to open an app!
It said, for both Gecko and Mono, that I should install them but that Wine could download them for me. That seems pretty specific. I don't have the exact wording or a screenshot, however, because it doesn't mention it anymore.
I will change that information in the wiki later, it should say something like,
On first run wine will prompt to download Gecko and Mono but in the future you will no longer be asked as unless you upgrade wine or clear your local .cache folder.
harrikel wrote:Still confused, sorry! I feel like a fish out of water. Do I just install Internet Explorer (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ion&iId=25) and run it with Wine? Because I can't find any "wine version of Windows Explorer", nor "wine explorer.exe.
When i typed the above it mean type that into the terminal window that gets launched when running "wine.app"

Code: Select all

wine explorer
This mean "wine" the program is being told to launch "explorer.exe" explorer is the main part of windows and whats commonly used for browsing files on your computer. People ofter say to use "winefile" but that's more the file manger from Windows 3.1 day's and most people won't understand it.
harrikel wrote:Ok, so, um...
Where is - ~/.cache/wine ?
That would be your home folder, using Finders "Go to Folder" feature you can enter what I typed and you will be taken to the temp folder where wine downloads gecko and mono too.
harrikel wrote:The only "wine/share" folder configuration I found until now was in the Wine package :
...which does look to me much like what you suggested, Gcenx. I'll wait for you confirmation!
Yes you place them within the app like so:

For Gecko installers

Contents/Resources/wine/share/wine/gecko/
For the mono installer

Contents/Resources/wine/share/wine/mono/
From now on you won't be promoted to install gecko or mono it will just use the ones provided within the application.

harrikel wrote:Thank you very much!
Your welcome I try to help when I can