modem vs com port

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
woodlark

modem vs com port

Post by woodlark »

I am running a program called accessbase2000.exe originally written for Windows XP. It runs fine under Wine except for one problem. It requires connection to a remote site via modem. I am using a USRobotics Courier v.everything with a USB to serial cable by the same company. This combination worked perfectly under Windows XP.

The USB to serial cable is detected by Linux (MX-17) and assigned to /dev/ttyusb0 which it maps to com5. My program allows me to set the connection to either "modem" or one of several com ports. However, if I assign to a com port, the software only allows connection through a direct serial cable (phone number, etc. grayed out). If I select "modem" (which is what I did under Windows XP) an error box pops up saying "no telephony device defined").

I have tried to create a symbolic link in the .wine/dosdevices directory from modem to /dev/ttyusb0, but that does not work.

How can I get around this issue? For obvious reasons, I am trying to get away from dependence on windows XP.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: modem vs com port

Post by Bob Wya »

@woodlark

First ensure you've updated to: Wine 4.0.

Take a look at: Wine User's Guide: 4.3.1 Serial and Parallel Ports.

Please post Wine terminal output, once you've updated Wine, etc.
See: WineHQ FAQ: 10.1.1 How can I get a debugging log (a.k.a. terminal output)?

Bob
woodlark

Post by woodlark »

I installed wine 4.0 by following the directions on the download page. It is probably not a wine problem, but when I ran the install, it deleted a number of other programs from my system.

I then followed the instruction from the page you recommended for serial and parallel ports (regedit) to set the link from modem to ttyUSB0. I then ran wine with the log out put directed to a file.

Here is the content of the log file:

0009:fixme:tapi:lineInitialize (0x32cf88, 0x400000, 0x44c390, "Accessbase2000", 0x7bb910): stub.

Accessbase still gives me the message: "You have no telephony devices (modems configured"
woodlark

Post by woodlark »

If I used wine regedit to create a link from modem to /dev/ttyUSB0, it never showed up in .wine/dosdevices (but, entering COM5 with no link caused com5 to show up with a broken link). I tried creating a link directly in dosdevices (ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dosdevices/modem). This also created a broken link. I then created the following links "sudo ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem" and "(ln -s /dev/modem ~/.wine/dosdevices/modem". This did create a valid symlink, but my program still reported no telephony devices defined.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

woodlark wrote:I installed wine 4.0 by following the directions on the download page. It is probably not a wine problem, but when I ran the install, it deleted a number of other programs from my system.

I then followed the instruction from the page you recommended for serial and parallel ports (regedit) to set the link from modem to ttyUSB0. I then ran wine with the log out put directed to a file.

Here is the content of the log file:

0009:fixme:tapi:lineInitialize (0x32cf88, 0x400000, 0x44c390, "Accessbase2000", 0x7bb910): stub.

Accessbase still gives me the message: "You have no telephony devices (modems configured"
@woodlark

Wine's tapi32.dll is 99% stubbed functions (i.e. functions that do nothing), so the modem route is non-starter...
Wine Staging has no additional patches for this dll...

Bob