Wine on RPi3, 16bit with Exagear

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
MikeH2

Wine on RPi3, 16bit with Exagear

Post by MikeH2 »

Hello - I am a new user who is trying to use my 'new' RPi3B to keep my old WindowsXP programs running.

I previously tried to do the 'simple' apt-get install wine
command from the Exagear terminal/command line but that came up with a desktop is not configured for this program.

Therefore, rather than downloading and using the latest Wine64 version, is there a 32 bit version of Wine that will run with a RPi3B, Exagear and might even run 16 bit Windows programs that still run OK on Win XP32?

If so, what would be the file download location to add onto the
apt-get install wine.xxxx etc ??

Thanks
Mike
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Wine on RPi3, 16bit with Exagear

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Wouldn't the exagear site be the better place to ask this question? Already tried their guide (https://eltechs.com/run-wine-on-raspberry-pi/)?
MikeH2

Post by MikeH2 »

Ah, thanks for the suggestion.
I've been following the Exagear guide and when I entered the command:
apt-get install wine
their linked repository loaded up the newest, 64 bit, version of Wine that doesn't work with 16 bit Windows programs.

Exagear suggested I enquire on this forum where a previous version of Wine could be downloaded from!
Hence my original posting.

So, has anyone successfully used 16 bit programs with Wine on Exagear/RPi3?
If so, please advise which and where their version of Wine can be downloaded from.

Thanks and regards
Mike
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

MikeH2 wrote:their linked repository loaded up the newest, 64 bit, version of Wine that doesn't work with 16 bit Windows programs.
That's interesting, because their website states they emulate 32bit. They also need to emulate 16bit features, which I'm not sure they do.
Did you try installing official wine already? Also, mind providing logs?
MikeH2

Post by MikeH2 »

Thanks for the further suggestion.

Well, I have tried the 'automatic' Wine version that came with Exagear when I did the:
apt-get install wine
command from a terminal.

Unfortunately, the Wine version number [1.8 something] does not seem to agree with the versions on the WineHQ download site.

The trouble for me is: Which version on the WineHQ download site is the one designed for the RPi3 [running Raspian Noobs] for me to try getting an older version that is 32 bit; rather than the newer 64 bit?

Whatever, I will have to postpone further experimentation for 3-4 months whilst I am away from the UK on a business trip after Monday 14th Jan.

Await further suggestions - especially from someone who has a working RPi3B, Exagear and 16 bit Windows [XP] running!

Regards to all
Mike