err:module:import_dll Library NDIS.SYS

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
td0g

err:module:import_dll Library NDIS.SYS

Post by td0g »

Hi everyone, I just installed 1:1.6.2-0ubuntu14.2 via the Ubuntu software center on Ubuntu 16.04.5 and then installed the latest Hikvision IVMS client. Now when I run winefile I get this error before I even try to start the ivms application:

err:module:import_dll Library NDIS.SYS (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\iVMS-4200 Station\\iVMS-4200\\Drivers\\npf64.sys") not found

winefile runs but I can't get ivms-4200.exe to run.

Is this a library I can install via winetricks?
dimesio

Re: err:module:import_dll Library NDIS.SYS

Post by dimesio »

No; .sys files are hardware drivers, and Windows hardware drivers don't work in Wine.
td0g

Post by td0g »

Is this a driver that the windows emulator should have in it? The app doesn't require any hardware to run that I'm aware of. I have it in a bare bones windows 7 VM at the moment.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Wine does not provide hardware drivers at all; hardware has to be working in the host system for Wine to use it.

As for your app supposedly not needing any hardware, according to https://us.hikvision.com/en/support-res ... t-software, it's software to control "DVRs, NVRs, IP cameras,encoders decoders, etc." That's certainly hardware. The app itself installs its own hardware drivers in /Program Files/iVMS-4200 Station/iVMS-4200/Drivers.

FYI, you should upgrade your Wine version if you are going to use it for anything else. 1.6.2 is over four years old and no longer supported. Use the WineHQ packages. https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
td0g

Post by td0g »

The software only interfaces with cameras and DVRs through web and RTSP streams, so I don't see why it would need drivers, but in any case I didn't know I had installed such an old version of Wine, the Ubuntu software centre strikes again. I'll try upgrading to the latest.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@td0g

There is a similar problem with the most recent Wine Staging version (4.0-rc6).
Generally it's very hard to workaround Windows applications that require native drivers.
iVMS is clearly installing a driver, which it expects to work.
So in appears that you may be SOL.

The