Question to Bob Wya related to wine and Gentoo

Questions about Wine on Linux
adcdam
Level 2
Level 2

Question to Bob Wya related to wine and Gentoo

Post by adcdam »

Hi Bob Wya, sadly the linux distro i use Funtoo will remove multilib so i ll have problems with gaming https://forums.funtoo.org/topic/1866-im ... -multilib/
they have some kind of solution https://www.funtoo.org/32-bit_Chroot but im not 100% sure if all my games will work this way, i have 32 bit games inside a 64 bit prefix.
whats your opinion of this?
Do you think its time to move to Gentoo, do you think this can have some kind of solution without multilib?
what should i do i use my pc for everything including games.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Question to Bob Wya related to wine and Gentoo

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Did you already ask funtoo developers what's with Wine support? AFAIK Wine is one if the bigger users of multilib.

32bit Win should work (See their wiki), but WOW64 Wine probably not.
adcdam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adcdam »

NO the only info i have of wine support is this https://www.funtoo.org/32-bit_Chroot
they mention this:
There are a number of approaches including chroot , as well as containers, and we would rather put our effort towards containers/docker solutions than continue to support legacy 32-bit multilib stuff. We want to move forward with a 'multiple roots' concept rather than treating a system as a single root.
adcdam
Level 2
Level 2

Post by adcdam »

today kits 1.3 were released
and they say this:
Deprecation of multilib Support

Multilib support -- the ability for 64-bit versions of Funtoo Linux to run legacy 32-bit applications -- has been deprecated, so that Funtoo Linux for 64-bit CPUs is now 64-bit only -- what we used to offer as a separate "pure64" build. This was done because 32-bit support was originally created as a stop-gap measure 15 years ago to allow for a seamless transition to 64-bit computing, and we believe the time has come to shed this ongoing maintenance burden and focus efforts that have historically been spent on 32-bit compatibility in other areas.

We realize that this may create inconvenience for some users. There are some workarounds that will work for most situations. One is to create a 32-bit chroot environment for the odd 32-bit application that you may still need to run.
Important

We will be offering more advanced solutions in the future. For applications such as the popular Steam, we are developing a container-based solution with GPU passthrough -- essentially a "chroot on steroids" -- that will allow you to deploy Steam in a container. We welcome the challenge to deliver this solution to Funtoo users as the efforts we are spending on container GPU acceleration are more beneficial to the larger Funtoo community than continuing to maintain multilib. We are making good progress here (Thanks Pavol Cupka (palica)!) and expect to have robust support for legacy apps like Steam soon. We appreciate your patience while we work on getting this ready!