Using Wine for Steam

Questions about Wine on macOS.
MasterBel2

Using Wine for Steam

Post by MasterBel2 »

Hi all!

Thanks for this awesome application – Trying to get steam working on wine so my brother and I can play AOE II HD. Seems I am running into some common issues, but what I'm seeing doesn't add up with what I'm told I should see. So let's start.

The first issue is that the Steam store won't load. Many people suggested to add -no-cef-sandbox to the arguments, and configure wine to run Windows XP. This worked. But there's a problem with that solution: Steam drops Windows XP/Vista support in a week . I've seen people saying that with later versions of wine you don't need this, but when launching wine with wine 4.0 rc3, well… it still doesn't work. Sigh.

So, okay, I guess I don't need the store to play the game. I have already bought it, after all (trusting that if I can't get this working, I'll get a refund). So I navigate to my games, it shows up! Yes! I press "install", and… it fails.

Again, this seems to be a known problem. The proposed fix is to add a line to Steam/config/config.vdf, key "CS", below a line with key "cim". I tried this: nothing changed. From my research, I'm not the first person this solution didn't help, but apparently it has helped others. What are us minority it doesn't work for missing?

I'm using the PlayonMac wine frontend, and have tried launching it using the default wine, and the 4.0 rc. Same results with both. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

~MasterBel2
MasterBel2

Re: Using Wine for Steam

Post by MasterBel2 »

Tried using wine directly without a wrapper, same problems – cannot download AoE 2, and can't view store. (Although store is no longer a necessity).

Interesting that instead of showing a black screen and perpetually tryiing to load the store, this time it just remains showing the previous screen, and the store URL turns green, as if to say it successfully loaded, spinner disappears, but no store appears, even after waiting a good amount of time. Must go now, will later again try fiddling with the steam config file, see if it works.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Using Wine for Steam

Post by Gcenx »

Even if you use stock wine directly from winehq the store won’t function, previously it was possible to the the store working when using wine-Staging if the compile was build with gnutls (macOS builds are not) but that changes with a Steam update.

The version of wine that has a working Steam Store is CrossOver18.1.0. So your options if you “need” the store are buy CrossOver18.1.0 or compile from source. Note CorossOvwr18.1.0 is based on wine3.14.