Can't successfully install Wine on Linux Mint 19

Questions about Wine on Linux
G-Rod

Can't successfully install Wine on Linux Mint 19

Post by G-Rod »

Hiya,
Thanks for seeing if you can help. I have Linux Mint 19 Xfce 'Tara' 64-bit. I tried to install Wine through following the steps on winehq.org, ie

Download>Ubuntu> then in the command line - as per instructions- I typed:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

But I just get this error message in the command line - 'Odd number of elements in the hash assignment at /usr/share/pkg-config-dpkghook line 30'

This is of course meaningless to me as I am tech challenged and only computer skills include single and double-clicking.

I then tried to search for Wine in my software manager to install from there, but it isn't there - well, there's nothing that just says 'Wine'. There's instead all kinds of other Wine-related stuff which I have no idea what they are...

So then I tried to install via the command line by typing -

apt install wine-stable

*this didn't quite work cause I got permission denied. So I typed

sudo apt-get update

*and then again

apt install wine-stable

Then it seemed to install (took a couple minutes with the command line doing stuff. But afterwards I couldn't find Wine on my system even after a restart.

I just want to do this simply and hassle free - any advice? I couldn't find any help online. Thank you!
dimesio

Re: Can't successfully install Wine on Linux Mint 19

Post by dimesio »

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386

But I just get this error message in the command line - 'Odd number of elements in the hash assignment at /usr/share/pkg-config-dpkghook line 30'
I have no idea why you are getting that error message, but it has nothing to do with Wine. Ask for help on the Mint forum. i386 architecture needs to be enabled in order to install Wine.

After that, follow the instructions for downloading and adding the Release.key and repository that (based on what you posted) you apparently skipped.
G-Rod

Re: Can't successfully install Wine on Linux Mint 19

Post by G-Rod »

Ok thank you!