'IOPL not enabled'

Questions about Wine on Linux
code_exec
Level 1
Level 1

'IOPL not enabled'

Post by code_exec »

I managed to install Office 365 in WINE, but trying to launch any of them results in 'IOPL not enabled'.

I'm assuming IOPL is a setting or library in WINE that needs to be added through winecfg or installed through winetricks. Does anyone know how to enable IOPL WITHOUT recompiling from source?
dimesio

Re: 'IOPL not enabled'

Post by dimesio »

code_exec wrote:I'm assuming IOPL is a setting or library in WINE that needs to be added through winecfg or installed through winetricks.
No, it's not. My experience with that error message from other versions of MS Office is that it pops up if you try to run an installed app from the wrong wineprefix. This will happen if you install Office to a wineprefix other than ~/.wine and then fail to specify the wineprefix, or specify the wrong one, in the command line.
code_exec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by code_exec »

I installed Office into 32-bit WINEPREFIX ~/.msoffice and I tried to run it from the same 32-bit WINEPREFIX ~/.msoffice. And yes, WINEARCH was set to 32-bit when I attempted to run it as well.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You should have mentioned https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45703.

From what I gather from the bug report (comment 8), the IOPL not enabled message only comes when using wine-staging, not the development branch.

According to the analysis in comment 9, the easiest way to avoid the crash that is the actual subject of that bug report seems to be to compile pure 32 bit Wine (not staging) with either O0 or O1, or compiling with an older version of GCC.

The alternative is to wait for that bug to be fixed in Wine, as you have already been told in the bug report.
code_exec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by code_exec »

dimesio wrote: From what I gather from the bug report (comment 8), the IOPL not enabled message only comes when using wine-staging, not the development branch.
Office 365 doesn't even start for me on wine-devel. On WINE 3.0.3, it gave an unhandled exception error. A quick Google Search came up with people having similar issues. One user suggested re-installing graphics drivers, but that didn't help.

viewtopic.php?t=4102#p37537
dimesio wrote: According to the analysis in comment 9, the easiest way to avoid the crash that is the actual subject of that bug report seems to be to compile pure 32 bit Wine (not staging) with either O0 or O1, or compiling with an older version of GCC.
Not a chance. I'm not compiling WINE from source. I've tried before and it took so long that I decided to terminate the compiling before it finished.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

code_exec wrote:
dimesio wrote: Not a chance. I'm not compiling WINE from source. I've tried before and it took so long that I decided to terminate the compiling before it finished.
Depends on your machine. For me it's pretty fast, and I regularly recompile all of wine.
code_exec
Level 1
Level 1

Post by code_exec »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
code_exec wrote:
dimesio wrote: Not a chance. I'm not compiling WINE from source. I've tried before and it took so long that I decided to terminate the compiling before it finished.
Depends on your machine. For me it's pretty fast, and I regularly recompile all of wine.
Would a laptop with 8GB RAM, a 6th generation Intel Core i3, and 4 cores be an appropriate machine for compiling WINE on?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Do you compile on a SSD or a HDD? SSD should make it a lot faster.

Also depends on whether you mean "physical cores" or "logical cores". 2 physical cores would be a bit little.

Question is, appropriate for whom? For me, probably not, since I'm used to an i7. But when you only need to do it once, you can just let it run for a few hours.