How install a game with wine direct x, visual c+ and folders

Questions about Wine on Linux
scorpion
Level 2
Level 2

How install a game with wine direct x, visual c+ and folders

Post by scorpion »

I tried to install the Witcher 1 enhanced edition but I get an error because of the direct x and visual c++ 2018.
Furthermore It stated that installation was finished but it did not create any files.
How can I create the "folders"? And install the requirements?
I' m using Linux (debian 9).
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: How install a game with wine direct x, visual c+ and fol

Post by Bob Wya »

@scorpion,

Always checkout the AppDB first: WineHQ AppDB : The Witcher / Enhanced Edition
Not too helpful in this instance I'm afraid...
Bartosz Kosiorek maintains about 100 applications (well almost) - so he's spread a bit thin!
(Hint, hint: more AppDB maintainers needed!!)

Sound like you're just clicking on an executable file in your Desktop Environment's GUI file manager...
Then hoping things will work OK with Wine. Typically they won't... :? :(
There's only one way to troubleshoot Wine problems and that's using the terminal! :shock:

So then it's time to actually read the WineHQ documentation. See: WineHQ FAQ.
I'd suggest reading through that. All of it.
It may not make much sense at first, but at least you may start to ask the "right" questions!

Also while you're at it...

Make sure your software is up-to-date (a very common problem for Debian / Ubuntu users).

For your graphics stack, well you may struggle with that on a stable Debian release (no PPA's, Debian's graphics drivers tend to be very outdated)...
Can't help much there, I don't run Debian personally... IMHO it (Debian stable releases) doesn't make a great base for any kind of Linux gaming.

You can ensure your wine package version is up-to-date. See: Debian: Installing WineHQ packages.

Plus ensure your winetricks, Wine helper script, is up-to-date as well. See: Github: bobwya / winetricks README.
Linking to my winetricks fork, since Austin still hasn't merged my documentation update (tsk, tsk)... :roll:

Don't expect to be spoon fed knowledge, you've got to take responsibility for your own System.

Bob
scorpion
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scorpion »

I launch the .exe via terminal. I can't from the GUI.
I should have read really better the FAQ.
Debian (via backports stable) has the 390 nvidia driver and cuda 9.1, all packages in general are very good.
If you want you can install the latest drivers and cuda but the one directly supported are fine.
Furthermore the witcher is old game.
Same thing for wine and wine tricks: winetricks (0.0+20180815-1) and wine (3.0.3-2~bpo9+1) :D
So I found the installation in ~/.wine now with wine-tricks should I install c++2008 and direct X?
Use some wine debug to find the error?
I didn' t saw the witcher in the wine-tricks menu can I help adding it?
Now:

Code: Select all

wine launcher.exe
0009:err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} not registered
0009:err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {9a5ea990-3034-4d6f-9128-01f3c61022bc} could be created for context 0x1
I used wine launcher.exe &> log.txt the log has the same error has above.
scorpion
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scorpion »

I tried to install c++2008 with wine-tricks or manually: home/.cache/wine-trick/vcrun2008/wine vcredist_x86.exe

Error unable to find a volume for file extraction
Please verify that you have the permission.
Is a permission related to the group/users? I set the permissions read/write for .cache and .wine (and all subfolders and files).
For example virt-manager use as a group libvirt-qemu (on debian). Do wine and wine-tricks have a group?

If I try to install direct x9 (home/.cache/wine-trick/directx9/directx_feb2010_redist.exe) when I have to choose a folder for the extraction I cannot. I have only desktop with subfolder My computer.
scorpion
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scorpion »

@bob I checked the full log I need mscoore.dll. How can I install it with winetricks?
Now I' m trying it with lutris.
Thanks
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

scorpion wrote:@bob I checked the full log I need mscoore.dll. How can I install it with winetricks?
Now I' m trying it with lutris.
Thanks
mscoree.dll is supplied either by wine-mono or a native .Net implementation.
If you want to force install wine-mono, then typically:

wineboot -u
Should force the installation prompt, for a WINEPREFIX that doesn't have updates disabled.

I tend to find it easier to download the wine-mono installer(s) once and make it available system wide (which is what the Gentoo Wine packages do automatically).
For Wine 3.0.3:

wget http://dl.winehq.org/wine/wine-mono/4.7.1/wine-mono-4.7.1.msi
sudo mv wine-mono-4.7.1.msi /usr/share/wine/mono/
For Wine 3.21 / Wine Staging 3.21 / 4.0-rc1:

wget http://dl.winehq.org/wine/wine-mono/4.7.3/wine-mono-4.7.3.msi
sudo mv wine-mono-4.7.3.msi /usr/share/wine/mono/
Then:

wineboot -u
Please ensure you've updated your winetricks version, to the latest release (20181203), see: Github: Winetricks/winetricks README.

Generally you don't install additional winetricks verbs, unless they are required.
You can check by checking for characteristic problems in your Wine terminal log.

The Lutris installer scripts, which are well maintained are also a good source of the Overrides required for specific games.
E.g. see: Installer the-witcher-enhanced-edition-gogcom
So you may need the Development version (3.21 or newer) of Wine, plus:

winetricks d3dx9_35
installed to a 32-bit WINEPREFIX.

I'm assuming you're using the GOG version of The Witcher, since I don't think the Steam client even starts, any more, with Wine 3.0.3...
Really that sort of information really should be in your forum thread title: Windows application and Wine version tested.

Bob
scorpion
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scorpion »

@bob
I downloaded (and moved) the mono and used wineboot -u.
To install d3dx9_35 on 32 I used:

WINEPREFIX="$HOME/prefix32" WINEARCH=win32 wine wineboot
After (and I also installed it with normal prefix wine 64):

WINEPREFIX=~/.wine32 winetricks d3dx9_35
I have latest winetricks (20181203) and:

wine  --version
wine-3.21 (Staging)
If I change wine version in lutris configure option I get this:

rundll32.exe -.NET Framework initialization 
Unable to find a version of the runtime to run the apllication

Now if I launch the game with wine I get the menu but nothing more:

wine launcher.exe
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Wine Staging 3.21 is a testing version containing experimental patches.
000b:fixme:winediag:start_process Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0009:fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0x149230, L"c:\\GOG Games\\The Witcher Enhanced Edition\\TheWitcherGDF.dll", 0x33eb58)
0009:fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionExW Flags 00000000 ignored
~/Games/the-witcher-enhanced-edition/drive_c/GOG Games/The Witcher Enhanced Edition# 002c:fixme:gameux:GameExplorerImpl_VerifyAccess (0x176ee8, L"c:\\GOG Games\\The Witcher Enhanced Edition\\TheWitcherGDF.dll", 0x1c6dd34)
002c:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x110000 0 0x1c6f96c 4 stub
002c:err:wgl:init_opengl Failed to load libGL: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
002c:err:wgl:init_opengl OpenGL support is disabled.
002c:fixme:ddraw:ddraw7_Initialize Ignoring guid {aeb2cdd4-6e41-43ea-941c-8361cc760781}.
002c:fixme:dbghelp:elf_search_auxv can't find symbol in module
002c:fixme:dbghelp:MiniDumpWriteDump NIY MiniDumpWithDataSegs
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x8133fb (thread 002c), starting debugger...
0038:fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 24000 (device=2 access=1 func=0 method=0)
0038:fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 24000 (device=2 access=1 func=0 method=0)
What can I do?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

scorpion wrote: If I change wine version in lutris configure option I get this:

rundll32.exe -.NET Framework initialization 
Unable to find a version of the runtime to run the apllication
That probably needs to be a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX, that you install the Witcher to.
Otherwise you'll have lots of cruft left behind, like registry keys for .Net framework services, etc.
scorpion wrote: Now if I launch the game with wine I get the menu but nothing more:

wine launcher.exe
002c:err:wgl:init_opengl Failed to load libGL: libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
002c:err:wgl:init_opengl OpenGL support is disabled.
002c:fixme:ddraw:ddraw7_Initialize Ignoring guid {aeb2cdd4-6e41-43ea-941c-8361cc760781}.
What can I do?
That's a classic sign that your 32-bit graphics drivers are missing a component. You can get a more helpful log with:

export WINEDEBUG=+timestamp,+tid,+d3d,+wgl
wine launcher.exe
Which will (/should) provide more detail about your graphics card+driver, that Wine is able to detect anyway.

Have you also created the registry key, that the Lutris installer script does:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
"CheckFloatConstants"="true"
See: Bug 34052 - The Witcher: Character models are sometimes invisible
Obviously that shouldn't stop the game "working" (just some of the models will be broken).

Bob
scorpion
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scorpion »

That probably needs to be a clean 32-bit WINEPREFIX, that you install the Witcher to.
Otherwise you'll have lots of cruft left behind, like registry keys for .Net framework services, etc.
How? I' m trying with lutris. installing in the wine 32 prefix instead of /home/Games ?

How? Key?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

scorpion wrote:How? I' m trying with lutris. installing in the wine 32 prefix instead of /home/Games ?
See: WineHQ FAQ: 8.7 I used a third party application (PlayOnLinux, WineBottler, etc.) to install or manage applications in Wine and need help.

This is why I don't bother to use Lutris, apart from ripping off their install scripts. It just obscurates the troubleshooting process...

But anyway you stop using Lutris when your application doesn't work, with the standard Lutris setup script(s).
It's easier to troubleshoot Wine from the terminal.
scorpion wrote:

How? Key?
Just use Wine's builtin Registry Editor:

wine regedit
See: WineHQ FAQ: 6.6.2 How do I edit the Wine registry?.

Once again... Please just read the base Wine documentation, before posting! :shock:

Bob
scorpion
Level 2
Level 2

Post by scorpion »

Right, I will remember next time.
Now maybe since I used wine regedit

wine --version
wine-4.0-rc1 (Staging)
and it works (I still get that rundll32.exe error).
I have a problem when booting with gdm3 but the game works (all versions). I kept the only lutris one.
And I needed to reboot.
Thanks