Uninstalling a Windows program not shown in Wine uninstall

Questions about Wine on Linux
neophyte

Uninstalling a Windows program not shown in Wine uninstall

Post by neophyte »

I am fairly new to Linux and recently used WINE to run a Windows .exe program just as a test to see how it would react. I'll call it "test.exe" to make things easy for all of us. It's actually an old Windows pinball game. I don't have a large hard drive so I need to uninstall it.

Anyway, when I went to uninstall it using WINE's uninstall/remove feature the program doesn't show up in the menu. Now I have no idea how to uninstall it. I have read a few articles about this but I just don't quite understand the process of uninstalling it. Could someone please explain in simple terms if possible how to do this.

I assume I will have to use the terminal and it's a lot like the old DOS except with different commands of course. I am just learning so if you can make the process somewhat simple it would be appreciated.

I believe I have about two hours into this uninstall already so it's not a lack of effort on my part. I sincerely appreciate your efforts. Thank you.
dimesio

Re: Uninstalling a Windows program not shown in Wine uninsta

Post by dimesio »

Assuming you haven't installed any other apps in Wine that you want to keep, just delete the whole wineprefix. The easiest way to do that is through your file manager; just set it to show hidden files, browse to your home directory, and delete .wine the same way you would any other directory.
neophyte

Post by neophyte »

Thank you for the reply. After I deleted the .wine directory it reconfigured itself and the Windows program was gone but the .wine directory was back. I have a couple questions:

1) How did it know just to delete that one program?

2) Why did the .wine directory reconfigure itself and come back?

Thanks again for your help.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

It didn't know to delete that one program; you deleted everything, which is why I said "Assuming you haven't installed any other apps in Wine that you want to keep..."

As for the .wine directory "reconfiguring itself," you must have run something in Wine (perhaps winecfg or one of the other builtin programs) after deleting the wineprefix. Wine will automatically create .wine when you run it if it does not already exist.