"err:seh:segv_handler Got unexpected trap", I'm out of ram?

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
macchinetta

"err:seh:segv_handler Got unexpected trap", I'm out of ram?

Post by macchinetta »

Hello. When I play with sleeping dogs - definitive edition on wine staging I have sometimes crash and freeze or occasionally lag, I try to get console output and when game crash to desktop last line in log is error in the title.

I'm looking on the web for that error and seems related to exhausted ram.

I've 4gb of ram, and game run always at the limit of its; system base + steam uses about 1,5gb of ram, game about 2,3gb, free ram is about 10% while game running, if I try any middle-weight page on the browser when game is open I get a total system freeze because ram going out.

Note that I've disabled swap because I've a ssd as primary disk as.

Possibly also crash is due to exhausted ram? I try to leave open ksysguard to watch ram graphics when game crash, it not seems reach exactly 100% ram at moment of crash. :?

Buy another 2x2gb of ram identical to my ram cost 43+€ (about 51$), I want to be sure I've at least some benefits before buy it.

My other specs are cpu I5-4670 and gpu nvidia gtx 760. Note that my gpu is on 4x pcie slot because 16x pcie is blown.

Edit:
winelogsdhdship.tar.gz
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: "err:seh:segv_handler Got unexpected trap", I'm out of r

Post by Bob Wya »

@macchinetta

Those are system specifications for light web browsing in 2018!

I've 16.0 Gb of RAM in my secondary mini 12" laptop.
8.0 Gb system is a bare minimum - if you want to play modern D3D11 titles under Wine.
The game lists 4.0 Gb, as a minimum for system memory, on Steam.
But that is for Windows (and is probably BS anyway).

I'd also be concerned about your GPU. 2.0 Gb of VRAM?
You'll probably struggle to run D3D11 titles with that - due to the overheads that Wine + X11/DE introduce.
This could be mitigated by lowering resolution and / or in-game graphical quality settings.

You need to have some swap space - if you're going to run with so little system RAM.

I don't think Sleeping Dogs (Steam version) even runs under Wine. With or without DXVK.
But I haven't retested it recently...

Bob
macchinetta

Post by macchinetta »

Sleeping dog definitive edition run over wine staging (and only over staging, not normal).
I playing it these days and having crash mentioned in first post.

I'm not interested to full big graphics, but smooth fps. I've assembled my pc in 2013 to reach it. I hope is not already time to cast away it.

VRam is not indicative for gpu, today all gpu have minium 2gb of ram, My gpu is middle-high in 2013 (about 200€ value), and I've play title like as darksiders, assassin's creed BH, batman AA and AC, Risen 2 and 3, in wine staging with csmt at 60fps full.

And system specification are not dictated from marketing. In normal system use (weight browsing and some light game) I never full my ram.

I can't make swap on ssd because I already end overwrite limit on swap partition, but I'm ready to buy another 4gb of ram if I'm sure to have real benefits to it. (I think 16gb is really used just heavy-graphics software like blender).

Also I think minimum requirements are calculate with base system ram (example 1,5gb system + 2,5gb game = 4gb minimum), but sound strange thinking game decide to much ram to use depending to much ram is installed. :?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

macchinetta wrote:Sleeping dog definitive edition run over wine staging (and only over staging, not normal).
I playing it these days and having crash mentioned in first post.

I'm not interested to full big graphics, but smooth fps. I've assembled my pc in 2013 to reach it. I hope is not already time to cast away it.
Yeah sure, my mobile GPU (Geforce GTX 970M) only has 3.0 Gb VRAM.
But obviously you have to bear in mind that VRAM starvation could happen with D3D11 titles (2.0 Gb VRAM certainly causes issues with DXVK).

I don't want to malign your system...
But I seriously would suggest that 8.0 Gb System is the minimum for playing modern D3D11 titles, under Wine.
D3D9 titles should be fine.

Anyway, you probably want to start going through the usual checklist: Bob
macchinetta

Post by macchinetta »

Yeah sure, my mobile GPU (Geforce GTX 970M) only has 3.0 Gb VRAM.
Sorry for misunderstake, what I means is that most low-end video graphics mount much vram for appear more powerful, but gpu compart is not able to full all that v-ram.
Ok, probably I wrong to not buy 5gb version of gtx760, but in that moment I think I can save my money because 5gb it's over my exigence.
Now it's a very ugly thinking cast away my 40€/years gpu because is not more enough. :(
I very hope that "got unexpected trap" error is not due to vram ended.
(Note I'm not use vulkan, but nvidia-utils, and I've not installed any DXVK package)
But I seriously would suggest that 8.0 Gb System is the minimum for playing modern D3D11 titles, under Wine.
Well, I buy the ram, then I discover if the "got unexpected trap" error is really due to out of ram. I any case with 8gb I will can browsing while game is paused in background. 8)
Anyway, you probably want to start going through the usual checklist
Ok, I try to disable nvapi to see differences.

Normally I Always steam with -no-cef-sandbox, but I forget everytime to add it at "start steam://" command for launch game. :oops:

Anyway test results in appdb was inserted by me (andy it's me) 8)
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

macchinetta wrote: Ok, I try to disable nvapi to see differences.

Normally I Always steam with -no-cef-sandbox, but I forget everytime to add it at "start steam://" command for launch game. :oops:

Anyway test results in appdb was inserted by me (andy it's me) 8)
CEF sandboxing is strictly enforced, when Steam is operating in a Windows 7 (or newer) environment.
So the CLI -no-cef-sandbox switch has no effect.
That's why a pushed a hacky workaround to winetricks to enforce Windows XP compatibility for a couple of main Steam processes, for the standard steam verb.
That works reasonably well - but Valve are really, really not supporting Windows XP and Windows Vista, for the Steam Client, after January 2019!
See: Steam Support: Windows XP and Windows Vista Support.
The Crossover hack, works even when a WINEPREFIX is set to Windows 7 (or Windows 10) compatibility (and the Steam Windows compatibility is not overridden).

Just as an OT aside...
DXVK / Vulkan does push VRAM limits to the "max". I've seen VRAM usage of 2.8+ Gb with GTA V.
Its annoying that AMD and Nvidia hobble the VRAM on many GPU models. :roll:
So you can get both 3.0 Gb and 6.0 Gb VRAM variants of the GTX 970M for example.

Bob
macchinetta

Post by macchinetta »

Some question:

Any chance to install crossover cef hack without recompiling? It's boring recompiling wine every time there is an update.

How can I measure my vram consumption to verify if it's enough or ending?

I'm not sure to understand: wine use's always DXVK, also proprietary nvidia driver and utils are installed?

Also I note I've more stable performance if i play borderless window instead fullscreen, 30fps minimum (but i'm not sure WINEDEBUG=+fps print correct value) and seems no lag.
macchinetta

Post by macchinetta »

HeyHeyHeyHey... wait a moment... I try to install DXVK from aur and enabling it in wine prefix with setup_dxvk64 and I now get 60fps stable with low (but very acceptable for me) settings (1920x1080 res).

But strange things... full screen do not work at all, i'm force to use window mode (in spite of game can start read video settings in .xml file, maybe that problem related to full screen), and, another strange things, I get 60fps+ if I set kde bar/panel as "always visible", if I set "window can cover" I get only 43fps stable... :?

Third strange things, ram used from games down to 1.3 gigabyte, seems I've 1 gigabyte free ram more... :?:

Later on I test more thoroughly, and try mission where I encountered a mentioned crash.

Anyway thank-you for (unintentional) tips.
macchinetta

Post by macchinetta »

Update. (sorry for three consecutive post, time for edit expired soon).

I retry problematic quest, no more crash with "got unexpected trap". Also no more lag in game.

But I've still a game freeze. Wine log "Hunhandled page fault" without detail. There is a problem if crash happen during a quest.

And play without full-screen it's annoying, also I be able to hidden kde-bar, because I've game in cut window (1920x1036px), if I try to set full-screen from video option I get white screen and game freeze, and if I insisting I get total system freeze.
(I get any error or fixme in log when I try to activate full-screen).