persistent wineserver

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Potter
Level 2
Level 2

persistent wineserver

Post by Potter »

This point from wiki/faq is interesting for me, as I have an autorun calendar program that saves its changes when system is shut down. Now - without persistence - it forgets all changes that were made and I have to save manually.

I tried to make persistent from .bashrc with:
. /opt/wine-stable/bin/wineserver
but it says 'cannot execute'. I suppose we need root rights? Where to put this command? Sorry it is half way linux issue, I know.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: persistent wineserver

Post by Bob Wya »

Potter wrote:This point from wiki/faq is interesting for me, as I have an autorun calendar program that saves its changes when system is shut down. Now - without persistence - it forgets all changes that were made and I have to save manually.

I tried to make persistent from .bashrc with:

Code: Select all

. /opt/wine-stable/bin/wineserver
but it says 'cannot execute'. I suppose we need root rights? Where to put this command? Sorry it is half way linux issue, I know.
You should never run Wine as root, see: WineHQ FAQ : 6.2 Should I run Wine as root?

The . (in your line above) is the same as the shell source command and is used to load a secondary text-based shell script. See: Source command.

wineserver is a compiled ELF, native Linux binary file:

file /opt/wine-stable/bin/wineserver

/opt/wine-stable/bin/wineserver: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=55cfefcb240a41facdc24b46ae4df983701791dc, stripped
Not a shell script.

You would want something like:

~/.bashrc

/opt/wine-stable/bin/wineserver -p
Also, in future, please use the WineHQ forum Code tags:

for blocks of terminal commands and output.

Bob
Potter
Level 2
Level 2

Re: persistent wineserver

Post by Potter »

Thank You. I will try that in .bashrc

I see I have mixed the functions in editor. Sorry for that: code is code and quote is quote! :-)