DungeonKeeper 2 v.1.7

Questions about Wine on Linux
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

DungeonKeeper 2 v.1.7

Post by h2oo »

Hello,
i installed DungeonKeeper 2 and patched it to Version 1.7. I'm running wine-3.0.2 and Ubuntu 18.04
Then i acquired the necessary no-CD Crack with the filename "Dkii.exe" after trying to launch DungeonKeeper2 the screen resolution changes twice, then some jibberish graphics are displayed for a second and im back to my desktop.
Here's the output of the terminal. Can somebody please help me, THANKS.

Code: Select all

~$ wine "D:\Program Files (x86)\Bullfrog\Dungeon Keeper 2\Dkii.exe"
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32c474,0x00000000), stub!
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32bda4,0x00000000), stub!
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32c564,0x00000000), stub!
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32c564,0x00000000), stub!
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32c2d4,0x00000000), stub!
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32c8f4,0x00000000), stub!
0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32c7c4,0x00000000), stub!
0009:err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {92fa2c24-253c-11d2-90fb-006008a1f441} not registered
0009:err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {92fa2c24-253c-11d2-90fb-006008a1f441} could be created for context 0x1
0009:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work.
Calculating Julian date for today (12/9/2018)
Today's Julian date is 2458374 + 0.174653
The moon is 2.958100 days old
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: DungeonKeeper 2 v.1.7

Post by Bob Wya »

@h2oo

That's not how you start an application with Wine.
You'd want:

wine start "D:\Program Files (x86)\Bullfrog\Dungeon Keeper 2\Dkii.exe"
Though I'd seriously question the use of drive D: - have you not installed the game to a standard WINEPREFIX C: drive location?

As for using a no-CD crack. That is not required with the newer 1.8 fan patch to the game (which remove the CD check).
See: WineHQ AppDB: Dungeon Keeper 2 / 1.x
So please retest with the updated retail game - without any unnecessary cracks.

Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

I had to install it to a "seperate" wine Drive which is indeed an other Drive in my Laptop. It was necessary cause I'm running the whole Ubuntu on a early 64GB SSD, and therefore space is kinda narrow. I've also have a second 500GB mechanical HDD in my Laptop, and so i've created a second drive within wine.

Ok i tried running the variant via "wine start" you suggested, the results were again not quite well.

monster@acer:~$ wine start "D:\Program Files (x86)\Bullfrog\Dungeon Keeper 2\Dkii.exe"
0009:fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
monster@acer:~$ 002f:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33c474,0x00000000), stub!
002f:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33bda4,0x00000000), stub!
002f:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33c564,0x00000000), stub!
002f:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33c564,0x00000000), stub!
002f:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33c2d4,0x00000000), stub!
002f:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33c8f4,0x00000000), stub!
002f:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x33c7c4,0x00000000), stub!
002f:err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {92fa2c24-253c-11d2-90fb-006008a1f441} not registered
002f:err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {92fa2c24-253c-11d2-90fb-006008a1f441} could be created for context 0x1
monster@acer:~$ 002f:err:winediag:MIDIMAP_drvOpen No software synthesizer midi port found, Midi sound output probably won't work.
well, and i also tried to install the Patch (which i downloaded from the Softpedia Link) but there's probably something crashing. Terminal replies

monster@acer:/media/daten350/games-software/dkii1.7-1.8$ wine DKII1.7-1.8.exe 
wine: cannot find L"unix\\media\\daten350\\games-software\\dkii1.7-1.8\\DKII1.7-1.8.exe"
I'm obviously doing something the wrong way, so please be gentle i'm quite a newbie.
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

When i'm trying to execute the Patch via Wine, the GUI prompt me this Error Box

btw. am I generally doing something wrong if I#m using the wine-App starter to run the .exe of the installers directly? Do i have to submit wine somehow Parameters or show i install everything via console?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

h2oo wrote: btw. am I generally doing something wrong if I#m using the wine-App starter to run the .exe of the installers directly? Do i have to submit wine somehow Parameters or show i install everything via console?
See: Wine User's Guide: 3 Using Wine.
For the correct way to use Wine to install and run Windows applications, in a terminal.
It's pretty much impossible to troubleshoot Wine without using a terminal (or a custom script to capture the terminal output).

Also if you want to install your Windows applications on your larger drive...
The correct way to do this is via multiple WINEPREFIX's on this drive.
It is not recommended to use a single WINEPREFIX - for all your Windows applications.
If you install a native Window libraries (especially .Net frameworks) - there is a risk that nothing will work in that WINEPREFIX!
See: WineHQ FAQ: 6.5 Wineprefixes.

It's expected that new user's will read the WineHQ FAQ, before posting on this forum.
A new user will probably get confused by the guide(s) (which are quite technical).
But they are still more likely to ask sensible questions, as a result of reading them...

Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

Ok, well i did read the chapter about the WINEPREFIX, but i didn't understood to use EVERYTIME a seperate WINEPREFIX to pretend messing up "other" one. As so i created a new 32bit one by utilizing

WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2 winecfg
and then i was able to install Dungen Keeper 2 only this Prompt.

monster@acer:~$ 0036:fixme:font:get_outline_text_metrics failed to read full_nameW for font L"Ani"!
0036:fixme:ntdll:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
I don't really understand what that promt is trying to tell me?

But now i also was able to install the Patch to Version 1.8 without any complaints in the Terminal.

As still when im trying to Launch Dungen Keeper now by, it's still not working.

monster@acer:~$ 0036:fixme:font:get_outline_text_metrics failed to read full_nameW for font L"Ani"!
I hope somebody will poke me gentle to my mistakes. And yes i read the entire User Guide but i guess i only "really" understood about 30% the rest is more or less floating in my head.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

h2oo wrote:...

I hope somebody will poke me gentle to my mistakes. And yes i read the entire User Guide but i guess i only "really" understood about 30% the rest is more or less floating in my head.
@h2oo

Hmmm. It's best to come back to the User Guide, later on. 8)
As with all things Linux it helps a lot if you learn "sideways", expanding your breadth of knowledge, e.g. how to BASH script, etc.

It's more helpful if you post the commands you are running, as well as the logs.

If you're not setting the present working directory, to the game directory, then you need to use commands of the form:

export WINEPREFIX="/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2"
wine start "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bullfrog\Dungeon Keeper 2\Dkii.exe"
It looks like you are launching all the commands, whilst sitting in the "${HOME}" ~ directory.
Obviously I'm not sure what commands you've used, because you've omitted them!

Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

First of all the following error was prompted in the terminal directly after/whilst installing Dungen Keeper 2

monster@acer:~$ wine /mnt/iso/Setup.exe 
monster@acer:~$ 
0036:fixme:font:get_outline_text_metrics failed to read full_nameW for font L"Ani"!

And in order to launch it, i changed working directory to the actual installing directory (via cd) and tried first applying the WINEPREFIX and then starting it via wine start.
I'm really interested in the actual meaning of the fourth line (the error return prompt) What does that exactly mean?? Googling that was very nasty and just confusing.

monster@acer:/home$ cd /media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2/
monster@acer:/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2$ export WINEPREFIX="/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2"
monster@acer:/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2$ wine start "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bullfrog\Dungeon Keeper 2\Dkii.exe"
When i try to launch within the wine game directory the terminal doesn't output anything, but the screen flickers for a second. But i don't get any response. Is there something like a --vorbose argument i could whilst trying to launch Dungen Keeper 2 to get more "input" or information?

monster@acer:/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2/drive_c/Program Files (x86)/Bullfrog/Dungeon Keeper 2$ wine DKII.exe
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

h2oo wrote: And in order to launch it, i changed working directory to the actual installing directory (via cd) and tried first applying the WINEPREFIX and then starting it via wine start.
I'm really interested in the actual meaning of the fourth line (the error return prompt) What does that exactly mean?? Googling that was very nasty and just confusing.

monster@acer:/home$ cd /media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2/
monster@acer:/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2$ export WINEPREFIX="/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2"
monster@acer:/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2$ wine start "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bullfrog\Dungeon Keeper 2\Dkii.exe"
The fourth line (SHELL_execute) is not an error.
It is a side effect of the call wine start makes to the WinAPI function: ShellExecuteExW.
SHELL_execute is an internal Wine function that implements the actual functionality for the WinAPI functions: ShellExecuteExW , etc.

This is a common piece of terminal output, it simply means that Wine doesn't yet have the necessary code implemented, to handle certain flags passed to ShellExecuteExW.
Patches accepted! This should not affect the functionality of 99% of Windows applications. So don't worry about it! :lol:

Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

hmm, well so there is no further method to "explain" why it's not running/even starting?
Like i already asked, is there any argument i can support to the terminal to get a more detailed output/ error log to narrow down the problem?
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

h2oo wrote:hmm, well so there is no further method to "explain" why it's not running/even starting?
Like i already asked, is there any argument i can support to the terminal to get a more detailed output/ error log to narrow down the problem?
Sure, post a log with:

export WINEPREFIX="/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2"
export WINEDEBUG=+timestamp,+tid,+loaddll,+wgl
cd /media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2/
wine Dkii.exe &>~/wine-vanilla-3.0.2_loaddl_wgl_log.txt
would be a good start (since we aren't sure what is going now).

Please post the log on an external site, e.g. Github Gist.
The WineHQ forum software is awful, for browsing long log files.

If you can manage to attach a compressed copy of the log, to a WineHQ forum post (a total crap-shoot TBH)...
That would also be great!

Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

Hi, i did as you said and Uploaded it to the Codebase, as well as i added a ziped .txt of the log.

https://gist.github.com/Phenicien/b74cb ... 1c40afa7ae

If I'm honest, the only line that explains itself to me is the last ln.72.

wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\Dkii.exe"
But why does wine want the DKii.exe to be in system32, that kinda "virusy" Windows behavior putting things in folders like that, isn't it?
Attachments
log.zip
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 104 times
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

If I'm honest, the only line that explains itself to me is the last ln.72.

wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\Dkii.exe"
Windows searches through the specific set of paths to determine what binary executable you are trying to run.
The so called PATH variable - that is similar to the Linux implementation.
But they are different in one crucial respect, the Windows PATH variable includes the present working directory (PWD) .
While Unix / Linux doesn't.

What this means is that you've run:

wine Dkii.exe
in a directory, which doesn't contain the executable file.
Windows then falls back to the standard system library: C:\windows\system32 ; and searches in there for your program...
Obviously it isn't there!

So you need to do:

cd /media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2/
wine Dkii.exe
or

wine start /unix /media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2/Dkii.exe
Checking the game / executable file is actually there, first!

ls -hl /media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2/
Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

Oh, i feel slightly ashamed i typed "Dkii.exe" instead of in my Case the .exe ist actually named "DKII.exe" now i get no obvious error to me. Thanks for hinting me to double check filenames. And again i supply the log with the correct spelled .exe

https://gist.github.com/Phenicien/01d15 ... 6caf49aba8

when I'm trying to start DungenKeeper2 via

wine DKII.exe

i get prompted the sam Output like in the log-File but the actuall game doesn't nothing obvious.
Attachments
log.zip
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

i get prompted the sam Output like in the log-File but the actuall game doesn't nothing obvious.
Que? :?

Please describe clearly what the program does (or doesn't do)...
Message boxes? Black screen? Anything?

Anyway, there is nothing in the latest log file...
Except that your game executable is loading this time, along with some game libraries in the same directory...

So we'll have to step-up the debugging a notch! 8)
Please post a log with:

export WINDEBUG=+timestamp,+tid,+loaddll,+seh,+x11drv,+quartz,+gstreamer,+wine_d3d,+pulse
wine DKII.exe
- a rather scattergun approach - but I've little else to go on... :cry:

Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

Ok, after i hit enter with the commandline promt

export WINDEBUG=+timestamp,+tid,+loaddll,+seh,+x11drv,+quartz,+gstreamer,+wine_d3d,+pulse
wine DKII.exe &>~/wine-vanilla-3.0.2_loaddl_wgl_log.txt
it takes about two seconds for the new input line to appear, but nothing else happens. No Display flickering or Sound or anything.

And strangely now the text File created is empty.

wine-vanilla-3.0.2_loaddl_wgl_log.txt
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

h2oo wrote:Ok, after i hit enter with the commandline promt

it takes about two seconds for the new input line to appear, but nothing else happens. No Display flickering or Sound or anything.

And strangely now the text File created is empty.

wine-vanilla-3.0.2_loaddl_wgl_log.txt
Opps, sorry that was a typo... Should, of course, have been:

export WINEDEBUG=+timestamp,+tid,+loaddll,+seh,+x11drv,+quartz,+gstreamer,+wine_d3d,+pulse
Sorry 'bout that! :oops:
Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

Well, i didn't see it either. But now the log is quite big this time.
https://gist.github.com/Phenicien/ea335 ... ec48580de8
after executing the wine command it took about 5 seconds for new terminal line to appear. But sadly there was no actual "reaction" of a kind happening.

I assume the error probably is at line 78 and further and line 125 and further and line 189 and further, where the XSESSIONS tries to create probably the "game-window"? And in line 271/272 it finally surrenders????
Am I guessing somewhere in the right directions?
Attachments
log.zip
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

h2oo wrote:Well, i didn't see it either. But now the log is quite big this time.
I assume the error probably is at line 78 and further and line 125 and further and line 189 and further, where the XSESSIONS tries to create probably the "game-window"? And in line 271/272 it finally surrenders????
No! Big Wine logs are multi-Gb in size... 8)

Hmmm, it does look like an X protocol error for: X_ChangeWindowAttributes
Not sure what the error code: 3 specifies...

Perhaps we could drill down into this and, to try and determine what the specific X problem is.
So try:

export WINDEBUG=+timestamp,+tid,+loaddll,+winediag,+synchronous,+seh,+x11drv,+xrandr
wine DKII.exe &>~/wine-vanilla-3.0.2_loaddll_X_seh_log.txt
Thanks
Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

Attachments
log.zip
(3.76 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

h2oo wrote:https://gist.github.com/Phenicien/c3032 ... 23899642bd
again with changed Log Parameters
@h2oo

There's nothing leaping out at me, in the latest log.
Obviously loading the builtin uxtheme.dll fails, immediately.

I'm not sure if that captioned, popup (WS_POPUP|WS_CAPTION), 1x1 pixel window is an issue??
I doubt it though... :?

I think it's probably best to file a WineHQ Bug report, at this point...

Getting more eyeballs on the issue is generally a good idea! 8)
Please attach the log directly to the bug report.
Keeps everything in one place...

Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

I filed a Bugreport https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45896 thanks for your help. I#m actually quite curious to know sometime in the future the actual "problem". Probably the problem sits about 50cm in front of the laptop ^^
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

h2oo wrote:I filed a Bugreport https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45896 thanks for your help. I#m actually quite curious to know sometime in the future the actual "problem". Probably the problem sits about 50cm in front of the laptop ^^
@h2oo

Great.
There isn't any markdown on Bugzilla btw! :lol:

You'll still need to attach the terminal log directly to the bug report.
Just use the Bugzilla Add an attachment button.

I've linked your Dungeon Keeper 2 bug report to the Dungeon Keeper 2 AppDB entry.

It does occur to me that it would be worth testing the game in a 32-bit WINEPREFIX, set to Windows XP compatibility.
Given that it was released in 1999 - it's more likely to work in this "older" 32-bit environment.

If you're not clear how to do this, it would be something like (wiping your existing Dungeon Keeper 2 WINEPREFIX):

rm -rf /media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2/
export WINEPREFIX="/media/daten350/games-software/wine/dungen.keeper.2/"
WINEARCH=win32 wineboot -u
winetricks winxp
Perhaps even Windows 98?

winetricks win98
- if the Windows XP compatibility setting doesn't work...

Bob
h2oo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by h2oo »

hmmm, I deleted the whole wine-folder and created a new WINEPREFIX as you said, reinstalled Dungeon Keeper 2. Still it doesn't start up, exactly like before BUT the error log seems to be different.
https://gist.github.com/Phenicien/fbddc ... 56674cc97b

//should i post the same in my Bugreport?? And is it possible to edit somehow a previous post? Thx
Attachments
log.zip
(3.55 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
SquareAperture
Level 2
Level 2

Post by SquareAperture »

Dude...

This one I can fix for you. If anyone knows wine on 2006-era laptops running 1999 software, I'm your guy! :D

Assuming this is a legitimate issue and not a phishing attempt (lol) because this game is the posterchild of perfection under wine since 1.78 or something... so please kill that bug report. This is not a bug nor error, but a fundamental lack of unix thinking (or a preposterous amount of Windows thinking, same thing!)

You can have 50 more volumes mounted to your laptop; be they fibre-connected NAS arrays or remote VPN-tunneled sshfs in another country - hyperbole limit exceeded, OK - but the point is there's no need, ever to map a D: drive like that to run something this way. Bob said as much. Unix mountpoints just don't work that way; unless you have crazy permissions, regardless of where your $WINEPREFIX is, for example ~/.wine-dk2, regardless where that is actually, physically in existence, it has nothing to do this issue.

Nope! It's simple, You're referencing files outside your wine bottle. These old programs really dislike that. But that's all it is.
I'd follow Bob's suggestion for setting winver to XP too, but it's likely unnecessary.

Case 1

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/run/media/username/some/location/winegames winecfg
$ WINEPREFIX=/run/media/username/some/location/winegames wine ~/Downloads/extractedDK2iso/Setup.exe

result

wine: cannot find L"unix\\username\\Downloads\\extractedDK2iso\\Setup.exe"

Case 2

$ WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/run/media/username/some/location/winegames winecfg
$ ln -s ~/Downloads/extractedDK2iso /run/media/username/some/location/winegames/drive_c/overherenow
(or cp -av blah blah)
$ cd /run/media/username/some/location/winegames/drive_c/overherenow
$ WINEPREFIX=/run/media/username/some/location/winegames wine Setup.exe

result

DK2 runs perfectly, no winetricks no nothing. remember to invoke with -32biteverything, and if you don't have a nice GPU (unlikely) then also invoke with -softwarefilter
Attachments
dk2-runs-perfectly-no-winetricks-needed.jpg