Confused about manual install

Questions about Wine on Linux
drazel
Level 1
Level 1

Confused about manual install

Post by drazel »

I will start by saying I am new to linux but not computing. I need to install wine 2.22. I downloaded the files and went to search the internet on how to install downloaded files. Everything had to do with .rpm and .deb, but this download is just a folder, so I have no idea what I am supposed to do.

I actually like using the command line because I can watch the action happen. My second problem is the download has 3 files and one folder and I don't know what to do with them as well. None of the information I found online talks about how to handle these other files.

Folder: wine-2.22
File1: wine-2.22.diff
File2: wine-2.22.tar.xz.sign
File3: wine-2.22.diff.xz.sign

I see the the .sign are keys for the other files.
Question 1: Do I need the keys and what are they for?

I see that the wine-2.22.diff seems to just be a release notes document.
Question 2: Do I need this file for the install?

Question 3: How do I install this program?
I have been installing other programs through the command line and it isn't so hard. Everything I am reading talks about .deb and .rpm packages and nothing I have found, so far, talks about installing a program that is just a file folder.
dimesio

Re: Confused about manual install

Post by dimesio »

What you downloaded was the source code, which is what you would use if you wanted to build Wine yourself. If that's really what you want to do, the instructions are here, or if you're on Ubuntu, here.

If you don't have a compelling reason to want to build it yourself, you could simply download the 2.22 packages for whatever distro you're using from http://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/. If you're using a distro that WineHQ doesn't build packages for you will have to consult your distro about if and where their old Wine packages are available.
drazel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drazel »

Thank you for the link to the .deb files. I will get back if I have any further problems.
drazel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drazel »

I used the link you provided and downloaded the file. I went into the directory the file was in and ran..

sudo apt install ./wine-devel-amd64_2.12.0~xenial_amd64.deb, it installed and when i typed dpkg --get-selections it listed the four files that the installer said it would install. Problem is wine is listed as wine-devel-amd64 and not what I have seen wine listed as before in the past like wine3.0.2.

When I do a wine -- version I get..

No command 'wine' found, did you mean:...
wine: command not found

So I thought well maybe I need to run update and upgrade, so I do that and the computer does upgrade but nothing that looked related to wine or the four files that it had installed.

So I tried to run wine and wineboot and it says that the program isn't installed.

What i need is to install wine 2.12 and I need it to run 32-bit, which I use..

sude dpkg --add-architecture i386

but I am unsure if there is more I should be doing?

I found https://wiki.debian.org/Wine and it has instructions on setting up for Jessie and newer but I don't know if what if what I need to follow and I have some questions if it is.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

drazel wrote: I found https://wiki.debian.org/Wine and it has instructions on setting up for Jessie and newer but I don't know if what if what I need to follow and I have some questions if it is.
Assuming you are on Debian, those are the instructions you should follow. However, since you are not installing the newest version, you will need to specify the version you want, e.g., winehq-devel_2.22. Normally you would install the package whose name starts with winehq (not simply wine); those are dummy packages that pull in the actual ones (-amd64, -i386, -dbg, and -dev) and create symlinks so you can run the wine command without having to specify the full path to it.

Alternatively, if you want to have more than one branch installed at the same time, you would have to manually install the four packages for each of the version(s) you want, and when running wine you would have to specify in the command line the full path to whatever version you want to use (e.g., /opt/wine-devel/wine).

But I have to ask, why do you want to install that old version? If there's been a regression, has a bug been filed for it?
drazel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drazel »

The reason I am trying to install an older version of wine is because 3.0.2 on ubuntu 18.04 didn't work with everquest. I am trying to play on an eqemu server and so far I cannot get wine to work. With Wine 3.0.2 it ran the everquest client but with no images so I went and asked around and people kept saying to use earlier versions of wine and maybe even an earlier OS. SO I figured I would make this work in a VM. So I installed Virtualbox and installed ubuntu 16.04. First I couldn't find earlier versions of wine and I tried using PlayOnLinux and Lutris to install wine for me, but PlayonLinux didn't install the correct version and Lutris doesn't have 2.12 staging. Wine 2.12 is what winehq says works with live everquest and even though I want to play on a private server I am pretty certain 2.12 will work. I want to test it at least and install 2.0 if I have to. Hoping 2.12 will work for both. I also tested wine 3.0.2 with several different clients I have and ones that I know worked in Windows.

And to top it off I have no idea what I am supposed to download. I read what you wrote in the previous response and I am really curious how I am supposed to know which .deb to download because I am not sure what any of these package names mean and how they relate to each other. Is there somewhere that explains what these files contain and which ones you should download if you need a complete program. I am using ubuntu 16.04 and I need to run wine 2.12 staging and I need it to run 32 bit.

winehq-staging_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb
wine-staging_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb
wine-staging-compat_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb
wine-staging-dbg_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb
wine-staging-dev_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb
wine-staging-i386_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb

This is an example of the file naming types. I get that they are wine-staging versions, and now I understand what the winehq is for, but what is the diference between the rest? I am sorry I don't understand it.

I also tried...

sudo apt install ./winehq-staging_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'winehq-staging:i386' instead of './winehq-staging_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb'
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
winehq-staging:i386 : Depends: wine-staging:i386 (= 2.12.0~xenial) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Thanks.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

@ drazel

dpkg (Wikipedia) is how you install individual deb archives on Debian / Ubuntu.

apt(itude) are higher level Debian package management tools.

So you would want to use, something like:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i ./winehq-staging_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb ./wine-staging_2.12.0~xenial_amd64.deb
If you want the /usr/bin compatibility symlinks:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg -i ./winehq-devel_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb ./winehq-devel_2.12.0~xenial_amd64.deb
You'd need to purge any existing Wine installations first obviously (dpkg doesn't do much in the way of dependency resolution).

Sounds like you need to spend sometime learning how to use your Linux distribution.
Otherwise your experience is going to be fraught with daily frustrations.

Bob
drazel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drazel »

I appreciate your information on dpkg, but your answer didn't really help with the question I had asked.

I am just trying to figure out what packages I need to download and install so I can get wine 2.12 working. I know that I need to remove wine from my system. I didn't ask that question because I already knew that answer. Plus I am working from a fresh VM each time I try a different method, so I don't actually have to uninstall anything, because wine isn't even installed on the fresh VM.

This following statement is directed at Bob Wya:

I am trying to learn linux and I honestly thought that forums where for posting questions. If they aren't than please tell me where do I need to go to ask questions. I seem to get a lot of "you need to learn more linux" as my answer and I am curious why anyone feels that is a helpful statement. That is really a "Duh" statement, thanks for letting me know the obvious Captain Obvious. If you don't want to help on the forum, just don't help on the forums, but telling someone asking a question they need to learn more, is very counter productive. I am pretty sure I know I need to learn more and that is why I asking questions. I am not sorry that it bothers you Bob. I have spent several days trying to figure this out and came here to get help. Your answer is not helpful Bob.

Thanks to anyone who actually wants to help, if you don't, please don't.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

drazel wrote:The reason I am trying to install an older version of wine is because 3.0.2 on ubuntu 18.04 didn't work with everquest.
There are no bug reports for a regression. You should test the latest development or staging release before downgrading.
SO I figured I would make this work in a VM.

You figured wrong. Games may not work in a VM, even in a Windows VM, because of directx issues with the VM. You need to test on bare metal.
Wine 2.12 is what winehq says works with live everquest
No, what the AppDB says is wine-staging, so that's what you should have been testing.
And to top it off I have no idea what I am supposed to download. I read what you wrote in the previous response and I am really curious how I am supposed to know which .deb to download because I am not sure what any of these package names mean and how they relate to each other.

People don't normally download the packages manually, and I don't really understand why you're so insistent on doing that. What people normally do is follow the instructions for Ubuntu and use their package manager to install the appropriate winehq- package, which as I said, will pull in all the other packages that are needed.
winehq-staging_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb
wine-staging_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb
wine-staging-compat_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb
wine-staging-dbg_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb
wine-staging-dev_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb
wine-staging-i386_2.12.0~xenial_i386.deb

This is an example of the file naming types. I get that they are wine-staging versions, and now I understand what the winehq is for, but what is the diference between the rest?
The -compat package contains the symlinks, -dbg contains debug symbols, -dev contains development headers, -i386 is the 32 bit version of Wine. FYI, if you are on a 64 bit system you should be installing the winehq-staging 64 bit package, which will pull in both the 32 and 64 bit parts needed for a functioning system.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
winehq-staging:i386 : Depends: wine-staging:i386 (= 2.12.0~xenial) but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
You need to figure out what the broken packages are and fix it. It could be missing dependencies, or it could be you have conflicting packages installed. If you don't know how to sort it out, you need to ask for help on the Ubuntu forum. This forum is for Wine questions only; basic knowledge of how to use your OS is assumed here.

You might want to try installing with Synaptic rather than at the command line, as it is more user-friendly, and better at resolving dependencies.
drazel
Level 1
Level 1

Post by drazel »

@dimesio

Thanks you for all the answers. I eventually got PlayOnLinux to install wine versions correctly because 18.04 uses a different version than 16.04 and that made a difference. I am curious though, if I wanted to install wine version 2.0.0 I would need files:

wine-stable-amd64_2.0.0~xenial_amd64.deb
wine-stable-dbg_2.0.0~xenial_amd64.deb
wine-stable-dev_2.0.0~xenial_amd64.deb
wine-stable_2.0.0~xenial_amd64.deb

I tried install installing this, but it didn't work and that is why I went back to using PoL.