Non-XP Version: Tools do not remember former locations anymo

Questions about Wine on Linux
electricnight
Level 2
Level 2

Non-XP Version: Tools do not remember former locations anymo

Post by electricnight »

i stumbled over this 'issue' with wine 3.13 only recently, wondering if it is a bug or a feature?

when selecting win versions higher than xp, foobar2000 1.4 and xmplay 3.8 (or any program?) do not remember its former locations for enc/decoding, saving playlists etc. anymore.

i only ever noticed this behavior, because certain fb plugins like columns_ui will unfortunately abandon xp in the near future and therefore switching to a more recent win version will become necessary.

choosing the correct folders over and over again by hand can be quite frustrating over time, so is there a global solution to this issue after all?

btw: the sizes of window (dialog)boxes also keep resetting to their default size, which is also kind of unpractical for folders containing many files.
electricnight
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Non-XP Version: Tools do not remember former locations a

Post by electricnight »

can not edit my op: in xp mode, windows keep their size at least for the session being.
electricnight
Level 2
Level 2

Post by electricnight »

addition: under win version 7-10 while de/encoding files in foobar2000, an error message shows up when choosing a destination folder:

'die datei existiert nicht - file does not exist'

now when clicking ok, the process starts and finishes, creating a subfolder (incl the files) with the same name as the destination folder?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

It's not clear whether you mean non-XP versions worked in prior versions of Wine or you never tested them before 3.13. Either way you should file a bug, but if it worked before, you should also run a regression test.
electricnight
Level 2
Level 2

Post by electricnight »

dimesio wrote:It's not clear whether you mean non-XP versions worked in prior versions of Wine or you never tested them before 3.13.
no, as i said i discovered it only recently while testing the functionality of foobar + plugins under different win versions than xp. it might very well be present in former wine versions, too.

before filing a bug i hoped for others to test and see if it is reproducable. btw, i am running a 64bit wine prefix.

for now, all is fine as i went back to xp version.

but this will definitely change when plugins abandon xp in future versions.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

electricnight wrote: no, as i said i discovered it only recently while testing the functionality of foobar + plugins under different win versions than xp. it might very well be present in former wine versions, too.

before filing a bug i hoped for others to test and see if it is reproducable. btw, i am running a 64bit wine prefix.

for now, all is fine as i went back to xp version.

but this will definitely change when plugins abandon xp in future versions.
I cannot reproduce any obvious issues with foobar2000 1.4...
Using Wine 3.13 or Wine Staging 3.13.1, with either a 32-bit or a 64-bit WINEPREFIX, set to Windows 7 compatibility.

Are you installing the application in it's portable layout?
It certainly appears to save what settings I'd applied when installed in the "regular" mode.
Opening with the same theme, DSP settings, media files, I had - as the previous session.

Bob
electricnight
Level 2
Level 2

Post by electricnight »

hi bob,

well, this is good news i guess. so something is probably wrong with my prefix?

perhaps i should go into details more precisely, but it is not foobar portable alone, several tools that i tried at least don't remember their last destination folder (saving playlists, conversion etc) when not being in xp mode. that's odd.

have you tried all of my described fb scenarios, yet? what about win 10 and 8?

here is some related errors, maybe they are helpful:

000f:err:service:process_send_command service protocol error - failed to write pipe!
0009:err:module:import_dll Library api-ms-win-shcore-stream-winrt-l1-1-0.dll (which is needed by foobar2000\\PP-UWP-Interop.dll") not found

i will test with a fresh prefix when there is more time around.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

electricnight wrote:hi bob,
have you tried all of my described fb scenarios, yet? what about win 10 and 8?

Code: Select all

000f:err:service:process_send_command service protocol error - failed to write pipe!
0009:err:module:import_dll Library api-ms-win-shcore-stream-winrt-l1-1-0.dll (which is needed by foobar2000\\PP-UWP-Interop.dll") not found
i will test with a fresh prefix when there is more time around.
I don't use foobar2000, preferring to use native applications wherever possible.
So I don't have a clue what foobar2000 scenarios you are talking about...
So far you've been quite vague about what isn't working for you.

I've loaded up a ripped CD album directory, into my playlist and that worked.
I've moved the layout around and changed the theme.
All this stuff is reloaded, when I re-enter the application.

Give me something concrete and precise, that doesn't work, and I'll quite happily test it...

I don't see what the concern is with needing needing Windows 8 / 10 support, anyway??
Windows 7 (well technically Windows Vista - but we don't talk about that) is the major Microsoft API change that affects most applications anyway.
I'm certainly not going to start testing applications against Windows 8 / 10, Wine's Windows 7 support is flaky enough as it is...

Forum Code tags for terminal output and commands, please in future!

Bob
electricnight
Level 2
Level 2

Post by electricnight »

Bob Wya wrote: I don't use foobar2000, preferring to use native applications wherever possible.
Bob
and that is why i hoped for foobar users to test these scenarios:

- install columns_ui plugin and make it your default user interface (perhaps this is important?)

- try to save one (or all playlists) by right clicking a pl-tab. choose a destination folder. repeat and see if this folder is still remembered.

- try to convert to a folder of your choice (codec is irrelevant).

it works in xp mode, but higher versions will not remember the destination (on second run) and i always get this strange error (see viewtopic.php?f=8&t=30988#p117421).

- try to open a file or playlist + resize the open window. retry and see if that folder is remembered. check if the new window dimensions were stored.

hope it is a bit clearer now ;)
spoon0042
Level 6
Level 6

Post by spoon0042 »

fb2k 1.4 / wine-staging 3.13.1 64-bit

Tried XP and 7 for windows version and it seems to remember window size and paths... usually. I didn't try columns_ui though?

I do get a different file dialog depending on the windows setting and the 7 version is kind of unclear what it's doing sometimes. Plus converting several tracks at once rather than a single track gets another different dialog with XP set.

Paths seem to get remembered except for converting multiple where (with 7) the dialog doesn't seem to have any path. If I select a path things seem ok, but. I get the "File does not exist" popup if the directory doesn't exist. Thing is if C:\out\ exists and I double click it in the dialog it then uses C:\out\out\ when I click "Open". Fun.
abraxa
Level 2
Level 2

Post by abraxa »

electricnight is right, switching away from xp (win7 64bit here) seems to introduce this global "file dialog" issue - it is definitely not related to foobar2000 only.

i can also reproduce the "file does not exist" popup on mass-conversions, which is presumably true for mass-actions in general? sorry, too lazy to test with other tools right now.

this is indeed quite annoying. really surprising, to see this not being mentioned more often :)