EmpyrionDedicated generates err:seh:setup_exception

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Kovus

EmpyrionDedicated generates err:seh:setup_exception

Post by Kovus »

Like others before me, I've been interested in getting the Empyrion Galactic Survival dedicated (nographics) server running on a non-windows machine. (Either FreeBSD or Ubuntu, I'm not really too picky about which ends up working in the long run.)

Short version: When EmpyrionDedicated.exe runs under wine (64bit), it generates this error, and then sleeps forever:

Code: Select all

> cd path/to/empyrion
> wine64 EmpyrionDedicated.exe -batchmode -nographics -logFile Logs/temp.log
0009:err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 2896 bytes in thread 0009 eip 000000007bc9188d esp 0000000000130ac0 stack 0x130000-0x132000-0x230000
(Starting number and thread number vary, but the rest of the information is consistent.)

I've tried to read the output from various WINEDEBUG combinations, but I'm not quite sure what to look for, and the amount of data from some of the debug options is fairly large, so I haven't been able to identify anything in particular as problematic. I was hoping I could get some further direction on what to look for, where to look or what else I can try.

More detail:
EmpyrionLauncher.exe is the normal program you would start for an Empyrion dedicated server (as `EmpyrionLauncher -startDedi`). It then launches an EmpyrionDedicated.exe instance. It may also be responsible for launching EmpyrionPlayfieldServer.exe instances, but I'm not certain yet. Both EmpyrionDedicated.exe and EmpyrionPlayfieldServer.exe appear to be regular windows (64bit) applications, unlike EmpyrionLauncher which is a .net binary (mono is OK with that one, including wine-mono). Mono has no idea what to do with the other two executables.

I've tried wine 3.0.2, 3.11 and 3.13 on FreeBSD 11.2, all of them being 64bit versions (the 32bit version quickly decided that it can't run the 64bit Empyrion binary.). Winetricks was not utilized, after the FreeBSD port told me it was only for 32bit wine.

If anyone has suggestions for what else to try or where else to look for information (and what to look for, if it's a big 40MB+ log like most of the debug options generate), I'd love to hear them.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: EmpyrionDedicated generates err:seh:setup_exception

Post by Bob Wya »

@Kovus

I would suggest not messing about...

Just file a WineHQ Bugzilla report with a full log:

Code: Select all

export WINEDEBUG=+timestamp,+tid,+all
wine64 EmpyrionDedicated.exe -batchmode -nographics -logFile Logs/temp.log &>~/wine_empyrion_server_log.txt

xz -9 -e ~/wine_empyrion_server_log.txt
The final compression command is because the Bugzilla only accepts attachments <5000 Kbytes.
Best to test with Wine 3.13.

It's helpful if you cross-link this post to the Bug report (should you make one) - helps discoverability...

Bob
Kovus

Re: EmpyrionDedicated generates err:seh:setup_exception

Post by Kovus »

Thanks for the advice. I created the report https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=45586.