Doom 2016 on wine

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Dom
Level 1
Level 1

Doom 2016 on wine

Post by Dom »

Hello,
I've seen a Doom 2016 running great on Linux through wine with Vulkan.
Did anyone manage to run Doom on macOS through wine?
I installed wine 3.9 staging on my MacBook Pro (15-inch) mid 2017 on macOS 10.13.5, then installed Steam
and finally installed Doom, but... it crashes right on start. The console says the following error message:
"FATAL ERROR: wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed"
When I apply the start option "+r_renderAPI 1" to force start it in Vulkan nothing happens.
Anyone got some ideas?

regards
Dom
Seda
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Doom 2016 on wine

Post by Seda »

While I don't have any Macs anymore, I'm fairly sure that Mac has an Intel Iris graphics card and would not be capable of running Doom properly even under Windows, if at all.
Dom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dom »

Hey Seda,
my fault I didn't mention the graphic card.
My mid 2017 MacBook Pro 15-inch got a Radeon Pro 560, which can run Doom via Windows very satisfying.
Had Windows installed a year back and played Doom on Windows 10, got around 50 fps on 1080p with High settings & Vulkan.

regards
Dom
Dom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dom »

Also tried wine 3.10 staging since it was released recently.
Got stuck in the same line on the startup console.
As far as I know the Vulkan support is completely integrated in the installer package, so I don't need to build a custom version of wine.
anyone got some ideas?

regards
Dom
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Vulkan and anything beyond DirectX9 is not supported on macOS currently.
Dom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dom »

oh damn it...
does anyone one if the support is coming to macOS ?

regards
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Dom wrote:oh damn it...
does anyone one if the support is coming to macOS ?

regards
Eventually it will but timeframe wise nobody is really saying due to the looming 64Bit ONLY after macOS Mojave, maybe after Wine can run as pure 64bit we will see progress on running things that required DirectX10 and above.
Dom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dom »

hey everybody,
I've read that wine (since 3.13?) is officially supporting Vulkan on macOS now :D
so I did a fresh install of Wine(3.15 staging) and registered Vulkan-1.dll with winecfg, installed vulkanrt and vcrun2015 with Winetricks.
surprisingly after completing the installation of Vulkanrt the last terminal line says "../-some-path-/windows/syswow64/vulkan-1.dll not found" but it is there, I followed the complete path and the installer says everything is completed and fine.
I installed steam and DOOM 2016 anyway and hoped it will work.
But sadly it won't. I tried to start Doomx64vk.exe and here is the Terminal output:

Code: Select all

01f9:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x350000 0 0x32e6e0 4 stub
01f9:err:vulkan:get_vulkan_driver Wine was built without Vulkan support.
01f9:err:vulkan:wine_vk_init Failed to load Wine graphics driver supporting Vulkan.
01f9:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "winevulkan.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
01f9:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Initializing dlls for L"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\DOOM\\DOOMx64vk.exe" failed, status c0000142
I'm very surprised that it says "Wine was built without Vulkan support", since it should be built in.
anyone got some ideas what I'm missing? OpenGL still crashes with the "FATAL ERROR: wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed" message.

regards
Dom
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Dom wrote:hey everybody,
I've read that wine (since 3.13?) is officially supporting Vulkan on macOS now :D
so I did a fresh install of Wine(3.15 staging) and registered Vulkan-1.dll with winecfg, installed vulkanrt and vcrun2015 with Winetricks.
surprisingly after completing the installation of Vulkanrt the last terminal line says "../-some-path-/windows/syswow64/vulkan-1.dll not found" but it is there, I followed the complete path and the installer says everything is completed and fine.
I installed steam and DOOM 2016 anyway and hoped it will work.
But sadly it won't. I tried to start Doomx64vk.exe and here is the Terminal output:

Code: Select all

01f9:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x350000 0 0x32e6e0 4 stub
01f9:err:vulkan:get_vulkan_driver Wine was built without Vulkan support.
01f9:err:vulkan:wine_vk_init Failed to load Wine graphics driver supporting Vulkan.
01f9:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk "winevulkan.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
01f9:err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Initializing dlls for L"C:\\Program Files\\Steam\\steamapps\\common\\DOOM\\DOOMx64vk.exe" failed, status c0000142
I'm very surprised that it says "Wine was built without Vulkan support", since it should be built in.
anyone got some ideas what I'm missing? OpenGL still crashes with the "FATAL ERROR: wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed" message.

regards
Dom
Wine is not built with vulkan support via winehq currently, but you can compile it yourself to enjoy vulkan support, but don’t waste your time MoltenVK is not yet at the point where it’s even worth trying so it, well the last version of MoltenVK didn’t run doom 2016 I don’t have time yet to test the most recent commit. You will also need gnuTLS to run doom 2016.

OpenGL on macOS is way too old, that’s why we’re stuck with only DirectX9 support where Linux has DX10+ support. It properly just failed due to the OpenGL version being so dam old.
Dom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dom »

Hey Gcenx,
thanks for your reply.
I know that OpenGL sucks on MacOS...
But how does the linux guys run doom Vulkan via Wine, if MoltenVK dosen't work correctly on Doom?
BTW I once tried to self compile a Wine version, but failed. I just did some basic coding in my life...

regards
Dom
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Dom wrote:Hey Gcenx,
thanks for your reply.
I know that OpenGL sucks on MacOS...
But how does the linux guys run doom Vulkan via Wine, if MoltenVK dosen't work correctly on Doom?
BTW I once tried to self compile a Wine version, but failed. I just did some basic coding in my life...

regards
Dom
Linux users mostly use Lutris as a frontend, most of the time the Linux repo can contains third party compiled versions with Vulkan support.

MoltenVK is only needed for macOS since we don’t have an official Vulkan version so MoltenVK converts Vulkan to Metal so we get Vulkan support that way. And currently MoltenVK (even with today’s closed pull-request) lightly still won’t be able to run doom 2016.

And yes compiling Wine on macOS is a huge pain and gets worse the more features you want working.
Dom
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dom »

Okay, I understand.
Thank you for the Information.
It's so unfortunate that Apple focuses only on Metal...

regards
Dom