Supply Wine with Offsets to print out

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
here
Level 2
Level 2

Supply Wine with Offsets to print out

Post by here »

Just out of curiousity i was wondering if wine has "infrastructure" that helps to make some kind of logger for various application related things.
So like the various windows related tools like a Cheatengine or Gamewiz or whatever, supply a list of adresses in memory (with names) and print
their content to the terminal output when they change AND are not empty/0.

Is that something you would need to implement from scratch or is there some kind of foundation to build this on?
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Supply Wine with Offsets to print out

Post by DarkShadow44 »

What exactly do you want to achieve? There's the WINEDEBUG environment variable, if you mean something like that.
here
Level 2
Level 2

Post by here »

Well Winedebug helps only with tracing SystemCalls, this time i am intrested to see hitpoints, target names, energy levels in games and thelike, which i doubt wines trace/fixme covers.
Maybe make a little overlay later.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

How do you expect that to work? Wine doesn't know about things like "hitpoints" or "energy levels". You need a third party program for that, either one that runs under wine or a linux native one like PINCE or Game Conquerer.
here
Level 2
Level 2

Post by here »

User supplies a list of memory adresses and structures and gives them names.
The problem with ThirdParty, especially windows versions is compatibility and depending on the game it might not even work.
I was wondering how much of that functionality has to be yet written, starting from scratch is something one likes to avoid you know.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Wine can't do something like this, and I very much doubt that will ever be a feature.
A memory scanner should work for every game. Did you try the linux programs I suggested already?
madewokherd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by madewokherd »

I have been told that cheatengine works in Wine.