Outrun 2006 running at insane Framerates!

Questions about Wine on Linux
XAceMillenniumX

Outrun 2006 running at insane Framerates!

Post by XAceMillenniumX »

Hello everyone. So, i tried running Outrun 2006 Coast 2 Coast in Ubuntu 18.04 through Wine 3.6 Staging i386 (since it is a 32 bit game), and everything runs flawlessly, however, the game is played at unbearable FPS, probably because it is not capped at 60 FPS. I've tried two things to workaround so far:
An Windows only solution, SpecialK, which outputs an DLL that can be later renamed "d3d9.dll" so that it outputs an .ini file which can cap FPS, however, it doesn't work because the DLL outputed is a nulled file (0 bytes), hence, not sorting any fact in the game's folder (i may add this to Wine's db).

Other solution i tried is use nvidia-prime to switch to Intel HD Graphics, since it fits the game's requirements perfectly, however, the game doesn't detect the switch. The game's configuration program only finds the Nvidia .dll instead of the one for Intel Graphics, and hence, runs with the Nvidia card (GTX 1050 Ti).

In resume, the solution for this specific problem is either:
A way to use Intel Graphics in this game;
A way to cap FPS so that it can be played even with the Nvidia card.
(I would appreciate if the first solution could be found instead, but either way would be fine).

Thanks in advance.
XAceMillenniumX

Re: Outrun 2006 running at insane Framerates!

Ok, so i solved this problem by installing intel-microcode, and the game successfully detected my Intel Graphics card. However, it runs painfully slow, the game, and the system run very slowly under intel-microcode, so i uninstalled it. So i'm basically within running the game at unplayable high FPS and unplayable low FPS. What other alternative do i have to run the integrated graphics on the game? If not, what workaround would i do to cap the FPS to whatever is feasible for actual gameplay?

Thanks in advance.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Running the game with WINEDEBUG=+all will slow it down.
XAceMillenniumX

UPDATE: I got my game to run at decent FPS by switching to the open source drivers and using bumblebee for optimus support. Now it runs my integrated graphics at good FPS if i use none or quality level 1 anti aliasing. It causes a bit of screen tearing but that's because of an internal problem with open source drivers for GPUs on Linux. Version tested was 3.6 i386 (32 bit architecture because 32 bit game). Will submit my test results for WineDB.

Thanks in advance.