Can't install gecko no matter what I try...

Questions about Wine on Linux
Th3DfaultG8way
Level 1
Level 1

Can't install gecko no matter what I try...

Post by Th3DfaultG8way »

I have been at this for 5+ hours. I really hate running a Windows VM to use Windows Programs that I need because it takes way too much disk space. I have used wine before. It worked really well for me in the past. But now, with version 3.0, I think I'd rather switch back to a Windows VM then to take another hour of this. I need gecko. I have downloaded the latest version of it. And I have been trying to install it. But things have changed completely in this new version of wine. Wine was not installed in /usr/share/wine or /usr/local/share/wine. I have looked in numerous tutorials on where to place the .msi file. Nothing has helped. I am running Debian 9 Stretch 64-bit. Someone please help me before I start ripping my hair out.

Thanks,

Th3DfaultG8way
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Can't install gecko no matter what I try...

Post by jkfloris »

On my Debian Sid system I can find the wine_gecko files in ~/.cache/wine
If I create a new Wineprefix Wine Gecko 32bit is automatically installed.
You can add the 64bit version with "Add and remove programs" in wine control
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

The locations for installing the Gecko and Mono packages is all in the Wine Source code:

Code: Select all

dlls/appwiz.cpl/addons.c

BOOL install_addon(addon_t addon_type)
{
    if(!*ARCH_STRING)
        return FALSE;

addon = addons_info+addon_type;

p_wine_get_dos_file_name = (void*)GetProcAddress(GetModuleHandleW(kernel32_dllW), "wine_get_dos_file_name");

/*
     * Try to find addon .msi file in following order:
     * - directory stored in $dir_config_key value of HKCU/Software/Wine/$config_key key
     * - $datadir/$addon_subdir/
     * - $INSTALL_DATADIR/wine/$addon_subdir/
     * - /usr/share/wine/$addon_subdir/
     * - download from URL stored in $url_config_key value of HKCU/Software/Wine/$config_key key
     */
    if (install_from_registered_dir() == INSTALL_NEXT
        && install_from_default_dir() == INSTALL_NEXT
        && install_from_cache() == INSTALL_NEXT
        && (url = get_url()))
        DialogBoxW(hInst, addon->dialog_template, 0, installer_proc);

heap_free(url);
    url = NULL;
    return TRUE;
}
Here in Gentoo-land we install the required Wine Gecko and Wine Mono binary installer versions system-wide to:

/usr/share/wine/gecko
and

/usr/share/wine/mono
respectively...

Bob
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Th3DfaultG8way wrote:Wine was not installed in /usr/share/wine or /usr/local/share/wine.
If you're using the WineHQ packages, wine is installed in /opt/wine-stable or /opt/wine-devel.

However, you shouldn't have to install the .msi files yourself. If Wine can't find gecko when you create a wineprefix, it should offer to download it for you, and as jkfloris says, the downloaded .msi files are saved in ~/.cache/wine.
Th3DfaultG8way
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Th3DfaultG8way »

Ok, I was able to install the package mono-complete from the command line. And I was able to find the wine files in /opt/wine-stable. I will report back if it all works out.
Th3DfaultG8way
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Th3DfaultG8way »

dimesio wrote:
Th3DfaultG8way wrote:Wine was not installed in /usr/share/wine or /usr/local/share/wine.
If you're using the WineHQ packages, wine is installed in /opt/wine-stable or /opt/wine-devel.

However, you shouldn't have to install the .msi files yourself. If Wine can't find gecko when you create a wineprefix, it should offer to download it for you, and as jkfloris says, the downloaded .msi files are saved in ~/.cache/wine.
Ok, I pasted the .msi files in /opt/wine-stable/share/wine/gecko and It worked! Thank you! And to answer another post, I already installed mono-complete from the command line so that's working too. Thank you so much guys for all of the help. This was really driving me nuts.

-Th3DfualtG8way
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

Just to re-iterate it doesn't matter if you build a local copy of Wine and install it in your Linux user's home directory...

Or you use the WineHQ packages stored out-of-tree in:

/opt/...
Wherever Wine is installed it will always check first the global directories:

/usr/share/wine/gecko
and

/usr/share/wine/mono
respectively for pre-built Wine Gecko and Wine Mono packages (version matched to the current Wine version)...

Bob
GarethInWales

Post by GarethInWales »

i am also trying to install gecko and i gotta say these are the most un-usefully replys to a simple question in the world lol :lol:

i think i was using wine command line and installed wine-devel that had gecko bundled in with it.

now im using playonlinux and there is no option for devel on the avaliable wine version tabs..

so i ask ...
how do you install gecko on wine ? :mrgreen:
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

GarethInWales wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:39 am now im using playonlinux and there is no option for devel on the avaliable wine version tabs..
PoL is not supported here; ask for help on their forum.
how do you install gecko on wine ?
As I mentioned above, you shouldn't have to, because Wine will offer to download it for you when you create a new wineprefix if it doesn't find it in one of the expected locations. But if you really want to download it yourself, follow these instructions: https://wiki.winehq.org/Gecko