Wine Staging is falling behind

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
xman1

Wine Staging is falling behind

Post by xman1 »

Wine staging used to have nearly monthly releases. What happened?
dimesio

Re: Wine Staging is falling behind

Post by dimesio »

That's a very good question, but I think the only ones who can answer it are the staging maintainers.
xman1

Post by xman1 »

How would you contact the maintainers? The old staging site seems to have been abandoned.
giaco79
Level 2
Level 2

Post by giaco79 »

The development section of the wine-staging website still has quite regular activity:
https://dev.wine-staging.com/timeline/

So hopefully we'll just have to wait a bit longer.
krovikan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krovikan »

I am waiting also.

My wine-staging 2.21 is from November. Version 2.21-719.1 for opensuse Leap 42.3. No more updates.

I see the activity in the link above and I can see builds only for Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu and Mageia at https://dev.wine-staging.com/builder/group/391/
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

see the activity in the link above and I can see builds only for Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu and Mageia at https://dev.wine-staging.com/builder/group/391/
Those are the only distros that WineHQ builds packages for; openSUSE packages are built by the distro.
krovikan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krovikan »

Any form to contact with distro manteiner? I don't know how.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

There's a mailto: link on https://www.winehq.org/download.

However, AFAICT the staging maintainers haven't yet rebased the staging patches for 3.0 (https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging/ still shows 2.21), and I don't think anyone can build newer staging packages until they do.
krovikan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by krovikan »

A lot of thanks for all info.
giaco79
Level 2
Level 2

Post by giaco79 »

Somebody was speculating that there won't be a staging version for the stable release, so there would be one after the next development release.
According to the usual 2 weeks release cycle a new development release is due today, let's see what happens!
But it could simply be that the wine-staging maintainers are busy with something else in their lives at the moment.

Eventually wine-staging will become redundant, but for now it's still quite useful for many people.
Unfortunately not many people have the skills to maintain it.
Dox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dox »

There is a lot of speculation about why we do not have any updates to Wine Staging, but no real info. From what we can read here in the forum, Wine Staging is now part of official wine (since 2 years). So someone here should know what is going on with it.

I know the downstream community really wants a new Staging, but what we really need is information about what is happening right now with Staging. Is it staying? It is going away? Will the patches there be incorporated into Wine itself?

Staging Maintainers / Wine Devs: Can we get a news post explaining it? A forum post? Perhaps a reddit AMA?

Thanks in advance!
Seda
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Seda »

A lot of games I used to use Staging for now run under the standard development release as of v3.0; you might want to check if the same is true for you. If it isn't, perhaps file test/bug reports and maybe the stuff that isn't working under development can get fixed instead of relying on experimental patches permanently.

I'd guess that the Staging maintainers are trying to get the build system fixed for the 3.x branch, and that might be happening offline. I doubt harassing them in contact forms will speed up the process unless you actually have code or help to offer :p
Dox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dox »

You are guessing, about what they are doing, and about what they might want from us.

A clarification about what is going on with Wine Staging, and what they might need help with, works better then guessing.
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

FYI
My understanding, sourced from the Gentoo Wine Maintainer NP, is that Wine Staging intend to only track Wine Development releases this cycle.
Wine 3.0 is considered a joint Wine Development / Wine Stable release. So by logical reasoning the next Wine Staging release should be rebased against Wine Development 3.1 (released this week) - assuming the project continues.

Of course Wine Development is starting to mop up some of the more critical fixes from Wine Staging anyway...

Bob
Dox
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dox »

Thanks for this reply, it is already more information then speculation has dug up. If anyone can add to this, please do so. Just having information about what is going on is nice to have.