Wine taskbar shows on top of fullscreen windows

Questions about Wine on Linux
man-with-beard

Wine taskbar shows on top of fullscreen windows

Post by man-with-beard »

When I run Steam in virtual desktop mode, it draws a desktop with the taskbar at the bottom. The issues is that it appears on top of full-screen games being run in wine in the virtual desktop mode. I've attached an example of what I'm talking about.
Attachments
Screenshot at 2017-11-28 21-16-20.jpg
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Wine taskbar shows on top of fullscreen windows

Post by Bob Wya »

@man-with-beard

Hmmm. Yes that's a thing.

There's an open bug about that - see: Bug 40828 - Switching resolution in desktop mode makes task bar redraw on top of full screen game ...

My patch to disable the taskbar in Wine Virtual Desktop Mode, using a Wine Registry key, is still attached to the bug and still works...
It wasn't accepted into the Wine Git tree - as it's too much of a "hack"... :(
I've still use this patch as a Gentoo User Patch, for my wine builds...
Since this bug also affects Doom 2016 - which I play from time to time.

If you've found an Eidos application affected by the bug... Can you submit it as an affected application for that Wine bug...
You do this by adding the bug number 40828 to the affected application/game version(s) at WineHQ AppDB: Games / 1st Person Shooter / Deus Ex: Invisible War ...

The more the merrier! 8)

Bob
kirby33

Post by kirby33 »

:D Thank you for your patch @man-with-beard!!!!
It is exactly what I need for DOOM 2016!!!

You can enable or disable the taskbar with the registry key very easily (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Explorer\Desktops\Taskbar="disabled")
By default the registry key "Taskbar" does not exist, therefore the taskbar is enabled.

In fact, it is just a workaround and not a true solution, but without true solution we absolutely need this hack!!
This patch would be really useful for the wine-git (It works perfectly with WINE 3.9!!!)

I am ready for the Doom nightmare :twisted: !!!
Thanks again!!
theriddick

Post by theriddick »

I would like to add here that the registry key does not PERSIST.

Pretty much every time I start Wine I must apply this reg key. Its becoming annoying, I have no idea how to make the disable taskbar key stick.
kirby33

Post by kirby33 »

I don't know if my comment can help you...

I just use PlayOnLinux with my custom wine installation. Using PlayOnLinux, you can customize the registry for each program, and manage several wine version (for example your wine version with the taskbar patch).

The registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Explorer\Desktops\Taskbar works only if you have compiled Wine with the patch!
Otherwise the key has no effect.
(Doom 2016 (from Steam) requires the 32 and 64 bits wine version with Vulkan support. And it work well with Wine 3.9 and the taskbar patch :wink: )

From the PlayOnLinux graphic interface, first you select the program and you click on "Configure".
On the first tab you can select your wine version (System is the default wine version, the others wine version needs to be store in ~/.PlayOnLinux/wine/).
After you click on the "Wine" tab, and you click on "Registry Editor"

You can create the magic key yourself:
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\.
If the key "Explorer" does not exist you create a new key (right click)
Same for the key "Desktops"
Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Explorer\Desktops
On the right side, right click > New > String Value
The name of the value is "Taskbar"
Select HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Explorer\Desktops\Taskbar and right click > Modify ...
Enter the value: "disabled"
And exit the registry editor

You can use only a single Wine installation and PlayOnLinux set for you the variable WINEPREFIX.
For each WINEPREFIX, you have a custom wine registry.
All wineprefix are save to ~/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix

You can also run the registry editor without PlayOnLinux using the command "wine regedit" but you need first to export the variable WINEPREFIX.
example:

Code: Select all

export WINEPREFIX="/home/MyUserName/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/Doom" 
  wine regedit
Good luck
And Thank you to @Bob Wya for this wonderful patch :wink: