Confusion about Wine packaged by OpenSuSE

Questions about Wine on Linux
jlturriff
Level 2
Level 2

Confusion about Wine packaged by OpenSuSE

Post by jlturriff »

I'm running OpenSuSE Leap 42.3 x86_64. I installed Wine 2.0.1 from the standard OpenSuSE repository.

When I run winecfg to set up, I get this message:
winecfg1.png
winecfg1.png (7.28 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
So I went into YaST and installed Mono, then tried again; but I get the same error.

I looked around on your forum here, and discovered that Wine isn't looking for Mono, but for something called wine-mono. (Maybe the message should be more explicit; only someone intimately familiar with Wine would know that.) In various places on this site I see that
  • • Recent versions of Wine install wine-mono automatically (https://wiki.winehq.org/Mono) (But Wine 2.0.1 from the OpenSuSE repository apparently didn't).
    • It is recommended to use the version provided by my distro, but OpenSuSE does not provide wine-mono. (I will contact them about this oversight.)
    • It can be downloaded from http://dl.winehq.org/wine/wine-mono/ (presumably the correct level to use is 4.7.1?).
    • Two package versions, .msi and .tar.gz are available, but there are no additional instructions for installing either of these. It is unclear where to put either of them on a Linux system so that winecfg will find them. (it seems unlikely that merely downloading to my Downloads directory will be sufficient. :) )
How should I proceed in adding wine-mono to my Wine configuration?
dimesio

Re: Confusion about Wine packaged by OpenSuSE

Post by dimesio »

The easiest way would have been to click Install instead of Cancel at that prompt and let Wine download it for you.

On openSUSE, the Wine repository has current wine-mono packages, but those are for the latest development and staging releases. I'm not sure what version of wine-mono the stable branch uses, and FYI, the stable version you've installed is in itself outdated. The current stable release is 2.0.3.

My suggestion would be to upgrade Wine to the latest development release from the openSUSE Wine repository and install the wine-mono and wine-gecko packages from there.
jlturriff
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Confusion about Wine packaged by OpenSuSE

Post by jlturriff »

Yes, OpenSuSE is a very conservative distro, and the packages in its repositories are more often than not back-levelled.

I reinstalled Wine from the current stable release from the OpenSuSE Emulators:Wine:STABLE repository (which is not the default repo).

When I ran winecfg once more, again it told me that Mono was not installed. This time I used the Install button and it appeared to install successfully (though there were some registry errors produced in the process).