can't run wine script

Questions about Wine on Linux
cba
Level 1
Level 1

can't run wine script

Post by cba »

I installed Magix web designer but the export and publish dll's are missing. I was trying to use Wine script to restore the missing dll's which I had previously done before however this time whenever I tell it to search my dvd drive where the program disk is located I get the message: Failed to execute child process “duplicity”
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: can't run wine script

Post by Bob Wya »

cba wrote:I installed Magix web designer but the export and publish dll's are missing. I was trying to use Wine script to restore the missing dll's which I had previously done before however this time whenever I tell it to search my dvd drive where the program disk is located I get the message: Failed to execute child process “duplicity”
  • Not exactly sure what you are talking about there... What "Wine script" ??
  • How are you launching / running the Magix application - using Wine?
I suggest reading up on the WineHQ documentation - so you actually have some idea how to use Wine effectively: Bob
cba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cba »

• Not exactly sure what you are talking about there... What "Wine script" ??
  • How are you launching / running the Magix application - using Wine?
I suggest reading up on the WineHQ documentation - so you actually have some idea how to use Wine effectively: Bob[/quote]
Sorry I was frustrated and brain dead when I typed the original question. I meant Wine tricks. I'll check out the additional document links and see if there's anything there that can help. I think I found which dll is missing (it's apparently a common Magix problem; even in Windows). Now I just have to figure out how I can insert it so that I can finally export my Magix web design and update my website. There are actually 3 places in the program that say dll is missing but the export file is the most important one to me. Wiithout that dll it saves my update as a web file. If I can get the dll inserted then I can save as an html and upload to Filezilla.
cba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cba »

After lots of reading and getting a step farther (I was finally able to update and register the program online) I'm still trying to figure out how to add a missing dll. I've seen the section on Wine dll overrides and according to the program website this 'file export as html' dll missing is common even for those only using Windows. I have the path for the missing dll. The error explanation said 'type application/x-msdownload' is missing. That would make sense since there is no Windows on the system. Some people with other programs have solved this error message by adding a line similar to: application/x-ms-dos-executable=wine.desktop. I'm not sure if that will completely solve my problem. Is it better to use Wine dll overrides to try and install the missing dll or should I try to open the file as root user (administrator) and then attempt to force the install? I'm thinking the first thing to try would be to add ms-dos executable and then the next best thing might be the sudo su but I admit I'm still new to Linux and Wine and am not sure how to use sudo su to open the program and try to force install the dll. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has encountered a similar problem with a different program.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Never run Wine as root/sudo. That will not solve your problem and will mess up the permissions in the wineprefix. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#Should_I_ru ... as_root.3F

To install a native dll, copy it to the wineprefix's system32 directory. If it is is a dll for which Wine has a builtin version, you will also need to set an override in winecfg. If the program still complains about the missing dll, try registering it with regsvr32.