Wine on Windows

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
Rozarh

Wine on Windows

Post by Rozarh »

Hi all!!
I'm new on this forum. I register here because I search platform on Windows to play old games on new Windows.
When I try run Settlers IV on Windows 10 nothing was help - game won't start. When I instaled this game under WINE on Linux Mint 18.1 then game run perfectly (after path 1516 install). I have original game but no have chance to play it under Windows 10.
Can You do version of WINE for Windows to help older gamers play with their favorite games? Alternative is DosBOX (newest games don't run under DOS) or Virtual machine with old Windows (old computers runs it slowly or not run).
I think that WINE is the best solution for old, but not too old windows games.
What are You thinking about?
nintyfan
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Wine on Windows

Post by nintyfan »

Try coLinux (Linux kernel as Windows process + rootless Xserver working in Windows). I'm not sure it will works, but you can always try. I'm not sure the graphics acceleration will works.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The goal of the Wine project is to run Windows apps/games without Windows. Creating a Windows version of Wine is contrary to that goal.

OTOH, Wine is free software; anyone can modify and redistribute it so long as they abide by the license.

If you really want a Windows fork, the source code is here, and some info on past experiments is here. Knock your socks off.
danoon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danoon »

It's not exactly Wine on Windows, but I'm currently writing an emulator that runs Wine. It can run some apps, 16-bit and 32-bit, in a platform independent way using SDL. Currently it runs Wine 1.7.

Here are some examples running in Javascript in a browser, there is also a windows build.

http://boxedwine.sourceforge.net/b4/games.html
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Bob Wya »

danoon wrote:It's not exactly Wine on Windows, but I'm currently writing an emulator that runs Wine. It can run some apps, 16-bit and 32-bit, in a platform independent way using SDL. Currently it runs Wine 1.7.

Here are some examples running in Javascript in a browser, there is also a windows build.

http://boxedwine.sourceforge.net/b4/games.html
Neat idea... Seems a little bit laggy (Javascript game examples). But nice work!
I'll check out the Windows build when I get a chance... 8)

Bob
danoon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by danoon »

Yeah, there is still a lot of work to do with performance. It is an x86 emulator and currently I don't not have a recompiler up and running, but a dynamic recompiler is on my list of things to do.

My i7 6700 can run games meant for a 200MHz Pentium with the Windows build and a 100MHz Pentium with the Javascript build.

My goal for the project is to run old games. Currently a good number of 16-bit games run well, like SimTower, but some of my favorites like Civ 2 still have a bug that prevent them from starting. Also some really old 32-bit games that use DirectDraw work, like Diablo and Caesar 3.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Well, you can compile some DLLs for windows. Take a look at this WineD3D for Windows site. I used wine to get older games working on windows in the past, but only when they had D3D/DirectDraw issues.

Do you know what prevents the game from starting?