Can Wine and OpenGL 3 handle Overwatch?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Zeikcied

Can Wine and OpenGL 3 handle Overwatch?

Post by Zeikcied »

I have a GeForce GT 240 GPU, which is apparently an OpenGL 3/DirectX 10.1 card.

It can run Overwatch in Windows, at 60FPS, albeit rather ugly looking. However, I tried using a third-party program called Lutris to install Overwatch on Linux (it pulls from wine-staging along with some extra Wine patches to help Overwatch run), and the game just doesn't work. It loads to the title screen, but the stage background doesn't load, the character models have no textures or hair, and the game freezes completely upon entering the practice range. I've read about people having some success in getting Overwatch running in Linux via wine-staging, but I'm not having any luck, and I want to know if it's because of my ageing GPU or because Wine just isn't there yet? I know my GPU can run the game in Windows, but is OpenGL 3 too old or incompatible for Overwatch?
dimesio

Re: Can Wine and OpenGL 3 handle Overwatch?

Post by dimesio »

I want to know if it's because of my ageing GPU or because Wine just isn't there yet?
Both. Your GPU doesn't meet the minimum system requirementsfor Overwatch and Wine's DX11 implementation is far from complete.
Zeikcied

Re: Can Wine and OpenGL 3 handle Overwatch?

Post by Zeikcied »

dimesio wrote:
I want to know if it's because of my ageing GPU or because Wine just isn't there yet?
Both. Your GPU doesn't meet the minimum system requirementsfor Overwatch and Wine's DX11 implementation is far from complete.
Well, while my GPU is below the minimum requirements, it does run Overwatch on Windows 7. It looks ugly, but it runs at 60FPS, which is what counts.

And I've seen videos and screenshots of people using the wine-overwatch repository that are able to run the game, and it looks mostly like it normally should, with some glitches here and there, of course. Certainly better than what I'm getting by far.

I just sort of expected, if my GPU could run Overwatch in Windows, that I'd get the same type of performance others have gotten with the wine-overwatch repo, but either I'm unlucky or OpenGL 3 isn't up to par.